State of the Mongoose 2023

I'm looking forward to Pioneer, but have some fear it will draw upon the deeply flawed 2k3 Aerospace Engineers Handbook. If the authors go back and "do it right," it'll be a grand product.

Excellent update.
All power to your move to employer owned and multi-skilled and wider competency business model.
I am interested in a new Traveller setting.
Stoked by the idea that there will be a new licence to bring back the diaspora of Traveller into a common core ruleset again.

Sigh. And no news on Traveller: Prime Directive either.

EDIT: I looked at the Edge site and it appears that, while they obviously have the license, they still aren’t actually releasing much new material for it. What about trying to get a very specific licence - like Traveller: Rogue One?
FFG got a lot of Rogue One covered in it's Dawn of the Rebellion and gear books before it went dark (U-Wing, TIE Striker and Reaper are all in Starships and Speeders) and Asmodeus shuffled things to Edge who have increased the range of stuff they're reprinting this year (the dice are back, for example). Asmodeus seems to really like its Star Wars license and I don't see them giving up the TTRPG rights they're maintaining through Edge. The sometimes called "Mandoverse" has yet to be touched by the FFG/Edge games though it's rumored new content is in progress and that would be the most likely area for it to grow (or tandem that with High Republic). Disney, aside for one weird deal with Sony and Spiderman, doesn't seem to like to break up it's IP.

But who knows. These sorts of license discussions are negotiated deep under NDA, maybe the TTRPG rights get spun off. I mean Hasbro has a nice whole owned TTRPG company in WotC, and they gave Renegade License to G.I. Joe and Transformers. Anything could happen, though I'd prefer Traveller remain its own thing than hunting down IPs.

Last edited:
View attachment 1448

Mongoose Publishing is just finishing its 22nd year in business and we are still here, still producing games, and still creating new universes to transport players to!

If you have reached the end of this State of the Mongoose, thank you for sticking with it, and thank you for supporting us across 2023. All that is left is for everyone at Mongoose to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and a prosperous and fun-filled New Year.

Stay safe and keep gaming!

Matthew Sprange
Managing Director
Mongoose Publishing
Does this mean we could have more creator-owned Traveller universes not based in Charted Space, particularly when the alternate core rulebook for "other kinds of Travellers" becomes a reality?

New Traveller Universe: Pioneer
There have been many of you waiting for news on the Pioneer RPG. Based on Traveller’s core mechanics, Pioneer presents a new universe to explore, one set 10-30 years in the future within our own Solar System. Players (or Pioneers, as we call them in this game) are placed on the cutting edge of manned exploration to the moons, planets, asteroids and so far undiscovered mysteries. Pioneer is very much a game of firsts – your Pioneers will be the first to walk on Mars, the first to establish a Moon base, the first to test mining operations on an asteroid, the first to look for life on other worlds, and so much more.

We have spent a long time refining this game, trimming things, adding others, and making sure the mechanics are all functioning together. Right now, Pioneer is at playtest with all the backers of the last JTAS Kickstarter, and we are collating comments on our forums.

We have already settled on the content of the first campaign expansion to the game (hint: it involves the colour red…) and, all going well, we will be launching Pioneer at the bottom end of 2024, alongside that aforementioned expansion that will get you sailing across the void immediately!
I know this sounds ambitious, but have you thought of telling NASA? I bet they'd love this setting. Some of them might even contribute to supplements and adventures.

Does anybody remember the Cyberpunk supplements Near Orbit and Deep Space? Pioneer gives me a definite vibe like those old supplements.
Sure, I remember those, but when I first heard of Pioneer (admittedly in this State of Mongoose) I thought, "The Expanse, of course."

There is a The Expanse TTRPG out there, might even have a miniatures game for starship combat. I haven't fully sorted fact from legend, but I think it was pretty clear that James S.A. Corey found themselves via a role playing community, and what became the expanse was initially intended to be a TTRPG setting for that group, and I think it was using some form of Traveller rules.

... I haven't fully sorted fact from legend, but I think it was pretty clear that James S.A. Corey found themselves via a role playing community, and what became the expanse was initially intended to be a TTRPG setting for that group, and I think it was using some form of Traveller rules.

The story that became The Expanse began life as an actual TTRPG campaign run using the D20 Modern rule set, and that material was developed into pitches for a Video game and subsequently a TV series.

J

The story that became The Expanse began life as an actual TTRPG campaign run using the D20 Modern rule set, and that material was developed into pitches for a Video game and subsequently a TV series.

J

It was d20Modern/Future.

Thanks for clarifying that. Still think the Pioneer setting seems more Expanse adjacent than Cyberpunk's Near Orbit and Deep Space, which are favorites of mine (despite their radical departure from mainline earthbound Cyberpunk).

Thanks for clarifying that. Still think the Pioneer setting seems more Expanse adjacent than Cyberpunk's Near Orbit and Deep Space, which are favorites of mine (despite their radical departure from mainline earthbound Cyberpunk).
Cyberpunk's devolved to swaggering, fast cars, and deaf people shooting at one another. It's lost all sense of fun and finesse. Near Orbit evoked the Orbital habitats of Gibson's Neuromancer, and Deep Space took it out to the Solar System (and the supplement predicted the deep planetary internet which is in development to this day).

Sure, I remember those, but when I first heard of Pioneer (admittedly in this State of Mongoose) I thought, "The Expanse, of course."

There is a The Expanse TTRPG out there, might even have a miniatures game for starship combat. I haven't fully sorted fact from legend, but I think it was pretty clear that James S.A. Corey found themselves via a role playing community, and what became the expanse was initially intended to be a TTRPG setting for that group, and I think it was using some form of Traveller rules.
Have a read through the Pioneer Playtest forum here, and you'll see some debate around this. Pioneer has less development in space than even Near Orbit, and far less development and way less technology than the expanse - no magic fusion drive, for example. In fact, the types of adventure being contemplated are the race to be the first to land on mars - no domed cities there, no one has been before, NASA or whoever, using chemical rockets to get there at all - through adversity to the first landing. That seems to be the vibe.

If I'd compare it to anything, it'd be the third season of For all Mankind.

Have a read through the Pioneer Playtest forum here, and you'll see some debate around this. Pioneer has less development in space than even Near Orbit, and far less development and way less technology than the expanse - no magic fusion drive, for example. In fact, the types of adventure being contemplated are the race to be the first to land on mars - no domed cities there, no one has been before, NASA or whoever, using chemical rockets to get there at all - through adversity to the first landing. That seems to be the vibe.

If I'd compare it to anything, it'd be the third season of For all Mankind.
So... basically a race for government subsidies, negotiations of regulatory systems, and competing for talent? I mean, I watch the most recent Godzilla movies for the policy debates as much as the big guy smashing buildings, so I could see myself playing that.

I thought I read something about Pioneer allowing games to choose between "three eras" (basically "the new space race", the probably grittier making/taking claims "establishment" phase, and a third era where enough exists "out there" that spacers and earth now fall into competing needs and goals. But yeah, I do need to check it out a bit more. It's an interesting test of Traveller's flexibility claims, and would like to see it succeed.

We hope to be able to go live with this relatively early in 2024 and, again, will be looking to promote and bring attention to the best that the community of this licence has to offer. The aim here is to benefit the third party publishers, players of Traveller and, of course, grow Traveller itself.
Is this license going to be opened up for public comment like the ORC was or is it just going to be put out as a done thing without the input of the general community?

Is this license going to be opened up for public comment like the ORC was or is it just going to be put out as a done thing without the input of the general community?
At this time, it is with the main Cepheus publishers for comment - we'll see what they say and then determine what needs doing next.

Back