State of the Mongoose 2023

New Traveller Projects
In 2024 we will be committing some serious time to some serious Traveller projects, aiming for releases in 2025. We don’t want to spoil too many surprises at the moment, though you should absolutely keep your eye on our various social media platforms for concept previews, but for now:

A New Rulebook: Don’t panic, the Traveller Core Rulebook Update 2022 will remain the frontline book in 2024 and well beyond. This new book is for… a different type of Traveller. For different types of Travellers. In different types of universes.

A New Setting: This is something that we have had a bee in our bonnet about for some time now, and development will properly begin in 2024. It is set in the far future (but not the Far Future), will feel very, very different from Charted Space… but will also include a set of rules and mechanics that we have been asked for a lot.
I'm wondering if the 'New rulebook' may possibly be a "Time Traveller" title some of us were discussing online earlier this year? I did also have some hopes of doing a Traveller version of Space: 1889, which could actually incorporate time travel by way of H.G. Wells, but I'm not sure what the licensing situation is or whether that is actually Mongoose's inclination.

But anyway, along with 2300AD and Pioneer, it looks like Traveller will be branching out a bit from the Charted Space setting alone.

Seems fair!

Don't get me wrong, a friend of mine and I both read your State of the Mongoose last year, and we both agreed the HQ and its arrangements for staff sounded excellent, a great place to work.
But that commute wouldn't be nice (I'm on the other side of North America).

In response to your plans for expanding Traveller into various media in 2024, I’d like to suggest an idea that's has been clawing at the back of my mind. I would love to see an animated series or a comic strip akin to "How it's Made," but set in the Traveller universe.
Ah, yes, indeed - not only have we thought about this, but we have the first script :)

On the list of Things To Do!

You're probably better off creating your own steampunk variant of Traveller.

If you move up the tech tree, you'd get to dieselpunk, and then atomicpunk, ending with clifi.

We did actually look at doing this, but the property has been bought lock, stock and barrel by another company.
If you adapted H.G.Wells or Jules Verne directly, which are both in the public domain, you could possibly come up with something similar.

The use of the word ‘Traveller’ as an add on to pretty much anything gives scope to expand into different settings. So ‘Time Traveller’ or ‘Steampunk Traveller’ or ‘Pulp Traveller’ are all possibilities.

We did actually look at doing this, but the property has been bought lock, stock and barrel by another company.

I don't think there's much chance of this, but I'd love to see Transhuman Space done under the Traveller ruleset. Geopolitically it's massively out of date now, but hey, alternative timelines and all that.

Regards,
Robin

Didn't that company then decide to give a good impression of a certain parrot? Or was that just the german company that did the translation?
I think there is a new company that has taken over from Ulisses Spell. The new edition is called Space: 1889 After I think, but I had a glance at it and not really sure it is what I am after. I wanted an application of Traveller rules.

1. Can't say too much about the new mega-campaign, but it will concentrate on a 'typical' trader crew in its early stages and will be set in a certain two adjacent subsectors...

2. Not yet set, but at the moment Singularity and Pioneer are kinda pencilled in for Kickstarters in 2024. Could easily change.

3. No solid plans for cyberware and psions, but both are areas we very much want to go in to.
Well, I'm sure its no surprise that I'm quite excited for the first thing on this list, since I've been advocating pretty strongly for a 'how to merchant' campaign. And I run my own campaign in what I suspect are "a certain two adjacent subsectors". Be interesting to see a different take on them. My version is highly idiosyncratic at this point, but I'm always happy for new art, new ships, and new ideas to think about.

OK, here is a left field suggestion for a new licensed setting......Star Wars!

It would certainly cause a splash and I’m not sure that FFG is doing anything with RPGs anymore. The were some unofficial Traveller: Star Wars rules floating about already and it can work as a game......so, difficult to think of it but a possibility?

OK, here is a left field suggestion for a new licensed setting......Star Wars!

It would certainly cause a splash and I’m not sure that FFG is doing anything with RPGs anymore. The were some unofficial Traveller: Star Wars rules floating about already and it can work as a game......so, difficult to think of it but a possibility?

Since 2020, Edge Studio have published and developed FFG's Star Wars RPG: https://www.edge-studio.net/categories-games/starwarsrpg/

J

Since 2020, Edge Studio have published and developed FFG's Star Wars RPG: https://www.edge-studio.net/categories-games/starwarsrpg/

J
Sigh. And no news on Traveller: Prime Directive either.

EDIT: I looked at the Edge site and it appears that, while they obviously have the license, they still aren’t actually releasing much new material for it. What about trying to get a very specific licence - like Traveller: Rogue One?

Last edited:
Can I give a shout out for Shield Maidens? I recently picked up the PDF and it's a fun universe.

There's a lot going on in the Traveller space. 2024 is shaping up as a huge year.

If you are doing a custom licence for the Traveller Open Content program, would you consider releasing it for general use by other games too? Most companies were happy with the OGL except for the time bomb WoTC built into it. We could do with a few more solid alternatives ....

Still no news on the Legend front though, but not entirely surprising. You have a lot of balls in the air right now!.

Back