Starship Troopers Memorial

Mage

Mongoose
For any of you at the 'goose who read this please stickey it.

The purpose of this thread is to make your own post along the same lines as my own.

I got into the game around the time I came to the forum about ten days after my birthday back in 2005.

I had good times in the forum, and this became 'my forum', and SST became my favourite miniature game.

I went on to collect a humble arachnid force, a decent sized skinnie army and various MI platoons.

I regret not being able to get more bits and pieces, like the skinnie brutes and fleet landing party, or more LAMI and reliants.

Bye bye Starship Troopers

James

I got into it just a few months ago, thinking it was a dead game. Apon finding this forum I was excited to find hope for new, better models and a community of enthusiests to help with rules and medeling questions.

I'll miss the game as a fully supported thing with new armies and new models... and I'll mis this forum that was "our" home when it's deleted and squished in with other games. I hope someone outside of Mongoose starts a dedicated SST forum.

I'll keep playing the game as it was when it died... scratch building what I need.

So Long SST.
So Long Mongoose.

I joined April of 2005, before the game's release. I am a fan of the original novel but recognise that it was the movie in 1997 and the CGI series "Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper Chronicles" that really allowed the game to have a larger audience.

While I was waiting for the game's premier, I frequented the SST forum and used my first avatar of "Death From Above". There was enough time before the release for me to put together my first version of "Whiskey Outpost", a two-panel walled configuration. Later, I remade it into a higher 3-tier model that was more game-compatible.

Mongoose invited me to do some scenic and terrain articles for S&P and so I did. I did something around fifteen articles including some on Monty's Modification topics.

I've had many ideas that had percolated because the topic was on Starship Troopers. Although I love starships as a subject, the ground-based theme of the Mobile Infantry in various environments allowed me to put my imagination to work to come up with various different tabletop themes. As a graphical tribute to the game, I'll post my first project (the fort) with a sign next to it waiting for the boxed game to come to my little shop. Lastly, I'll post my largest project yet, that hadn't been submitted to S&P. It was a 4'x8' gaming table representing Camp Arthur Currie. It was to be used as a convention demo table to literally run "SST recruits" through the game mechnics by having the live fire excercise turn into a Bug raid on the boot camp. :wink:

My most-remembered quote from the book is "I still get the shakes before a drop."

As Paladin said, Live Forever, Apes!.

Whiskey_on_the_Rocks.jpg

It was 2005 and I was ready for a new game to play. :wink:

WO_MK2_2.jpg

"Improved" W.O.

CC_SST_TABLE.jpg

My new "sandbox."

Board_3-1.jpg

Enemy inbound! This is no Drill! (Bugs in the corner)...

I was always a big fan of the movie, had only heard of the book, and had never heard of the CGI when I first got into SST. I started with 2 box sets picked up on sale at a convention in 2005 and followed it up with a handful of other models, adding 1 of each of the basic Marauders a Brain Bug, and some Hoppers. With many other games taking up my time my box sets sat unfinished for almost a year. Finally I ran my first game on August 13th, 2006. Here's a battle level shot from behind my brown MI:

Table1b.jpg

I don't remember when the fact that the game being reworked was announced. I recall the little stock in my local game stores drying up pretty quick. I bought the Roughnecks CGI and finally read the book. I was looking in anticipation to a new released game I went wild on ebay and elsewhere picking up figures, army books, etc. And I continued to play with a core group of SST gamers that came out of the woodwork in my area and talked up the game at local stores.

Then I got ambitious and did this last year:

Dexcon2007_BugCanyonGame1005.jpg

While dissapointed with the turn of events, I'm still having lots of fun with the game system. The future in my gaming group is still optimistic for continuing play. A buddy likes the v.1 system so much he's working on a Star Wars miniature mod right now. I'm planning on using the Zombie mod I came across recently for a zombie game.

And I have plenty of SST figures. I have roughly a battalion of Mobile Infantry (2 companies of PAMI, company of Exosuits, company of Marauders, company of LAMI) and lots of Bugs. I'm a bit sad that I just started collecting Skinnies but I've got a decent number of figures for an army. Like an ancient dragon I'm sitting on a hoard of unopened SST boxes of various things, that someday I'll use or be able to sell off.

I got alot of great inspiration from this forum, saw some great painted figures, great conversions (Mr.Evil, Gauntlet, Galatea, and others), and some awesome terrain (BuShips, and others), and discovered some great game aids (Thanks Hiromoon).

Thanks everyone!

It feels hard to say good bye to an old friend, doesn't it?

We've all had good times... and bad times.... Time when flame wars swept our little community here, and times when each and every single one of us had made a fool of ourselves.

Missed.jpg

TroBugs.jpg

nwtk2.jpg

We've been innovative here too, with a vibrant community that's produced some good stuff....

LAMIRecuitSquadTest.jpg

CC_SST_TABLE.jpg

1190572733_9YuNQECmzA.jpg

But where do we go from here? Our dead lay scattered on the field, our equipment a mess, and yet we're asked to push on. As a community, we can pull through this. As a community, we can find our way out.
03-01-06_1947.jpg

While there is still stock on those shelves, we can endure. While we're able to be creative, we will endure. As long as we can roll those dice, measure from the darn center point, and remove our casualties closest to the shooter, we shall endure!

As far as I'm concerned, this game ain't dead until they pry my D6s from my cold, dead hands.

Mongoose.jpg

"Live Forever, Apes."

I've been there from the beginning. I remember waiting so patiently for the marauders to clear customs, and all the fun I had building and painting my little dudes. The joy that I got from people telling me how my tutorial helped them with their first few MI.... All my little side projects, from my Red vs. Blue squads, to my snipers, to my Black Cross platoon. And how opening a bits order from mongoose always felt a little like being a kid at christmas...

I'll miss it all.

Here's to hoping that Matt's "news that will make <us> happy" is that mongoose is selling SST to another company, and that it won't really die.

Got in to the game a few years back and will continue to play so long as I have figures, time and ideas.
And I've got a whole heap of ideas 8)

"Live forever Apes"

Please dont tell me the news that will make us happy is that they are selling stuff on ebay and that someday SST will once AGAIN be SST:EVO.

First it was its own game, then dumbed down for EVO, then back to its own, and now back to EVO again? I've been there from the beginning, and was an MI for a while.....but after a few years found that I just couldnt put myself behind it anymore. Broken dreams and empty promises dont make for a great gaming community.

Linus, I understand what you're saying. However, people were gaming Starship Troopers in some form well before Mongoose came out with the game and will be far after. Back when I was playing 1st Ed. 40K a friend had Galoob toys we used. Alot of other Xeno/Alien/Bug armies are partly based or inspired on the Starship Troopers type setting. It's a genre that won't fade away as quickly as the ambitions of any single game company.

You are probably right...I just cant help but be a little bit pissy about the deal. Mongoose really hit a sweet spot with the rules set, and the idea of it fading out gets me going . Sorry I get a little uppity sometimes :)

As the librarian would say, Shhh! This is the memorial topic, guys :wink:.

As my previous post was sort of an Alpha and Omega of my SST projects, here is a walk down memory lane of a bit of my "in between" of SST.

Sorry for the quantity but I'm placing "flowers" on the memorial. It's not all of that I have but just a heady selection. Please don't comment within this topic as they're for viewing and reflection only. PM me if you feel the need. It's been an interesting three years. :)

CRETACEOUS_SST.jpg
Unpublished work.

Scratch_Post_CU.jpg
My Arachnid "scratching post"

DCP_SST1.jpg
some of my first terrain and scenics.

DSC00359.jpg
Unpublished work.

TABLE_ROCK_2.jpg
My board of "table rocks".

DCP_SST_HULK.jpg
Starship/Base corridors.

OH_CRAP_V2a.jpg
evidence of a queen nearby...

SST_MOVIE_BLDG_8.jpg
Adding "movie" tents into my W.O.

DCP_TERRA_49.jpg
my "very red" industrial plant.

DCP_TERRA_31.jpg
with fllood lights on.

DCP_TECHNO_CASTLE_06.jpg
my 2nd fort, made of Technobridge pieces.

MB_OPEN_4_BUSINESS.jpg
more Technobridge madness.

weapon_mod_A.jpg
magnetic exosuit mod.

LUNAR_TABLE_1.jpg
lunar excursions with the Mobile Infantry.

Lunar-Board_9.jpg
a slice of cheese.

FULL_JUNGLE288.jpg
a bungle in the jungle.

sp34wargamer.jpg
"Cover King"

HALF_TANK_2.jpg
Tanker "Pillbox".

DCP_BUG_HOLE_2.jpg
3-D bughole examples.

DCP_PLASMA1.jpg
metallic finish on a Plasma Bug.

KBTs.jpg
Klendathu Bug Traps

A23_HERO_SHOT.jpg
Exosuits

ENEMY_GROUND.jpg
bugnest

BBC_6.jpg
'nother bugnest

DCP_BRIDGE91.jpg
the Roughnecks on Pluto.

DCP_SWC1.jpg
Warlord mod

DRAGONFLIGHT_2005_1.jpg
Dragonflight 2005

DRAGONFLIGHT_2005_2.jpg
Dragonflight 2005

DSC00003.jpg
and my bugfarm.

I'm glad someone started this. MGP staff, is there anyway to make this one particular thread permanant? I think it would be appreciated.

So this is going to be long but stick with me.

I bought the very first box off the truck (literally) the day this game hit shelves. My friend owns a game store and I was visiting him on my day off. Up to that point I didn't even know they were making this game. I actually helped unload the delivery truck! The company I was working for at the time wasn't doing well, and I didn't have a lot of money, so of course I did the responsable thing and bought the boxed set. I've played MANY war games through the years, but nothing has ever come close to the excitement I felt as a kid learning my first real wargame (40k Rouge Trader). Like a Heroine addict I had tried many times through the years to recapture that dragon and failed every time untill SST came out. I'll never forget the joy I felt at hauling out that giant gore spattered blast template (seriously, THAT is how you make a template), or the exhiliration I felt the first time I saw my 300 piece bug army fully assembeled, painted, and deployed. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the hobby will turn heads quicker than a fully done up bug army. Fact.

I was laid off from my job shortly after that and couldn't find work to save my life. For someone like me not having a job is one of the worst feelings you can have. I'm a designer, and I had become the thing I most hated. The "starving artist". At the time the only thing I really had going was SST. I met someone through this came who has since become one of my best friends and I have made some wonderfull memories, but most of all, I feel like I owe, in no small measure, my recent success to SST.

I was completely burned out on design and in a bit of a funk and was blowing the few job opportunities I could find because my portfolio just wasn't cutting it (I'd love to say it was just the economy or some such, but yeah, my stuff was sucking). But playing SST my creative "playfull" side started waking up again. I'd spend entire nights just painting warrior bugs then end up getting great design ideas. This game woke me up again in that sense and I eventually put together a portfolio that landed me a job at the biggest exhibit design company in western PA. I know there were many times when I came off as negative about this game, but trust me, it was not coming from a place of bad intentions. So with that thank you Mongoose for putting out the game in the first place, and for giving us this forum (and having the cajones to let us deride the game AND the forums w/out censorship).

I'd also like to thank the following forum membors for sharing their thoughts/experiences/etc. on here through the last couple of years as you were all part of of helping me get out of my self imposed rut:

Lt. Razcak:

I'm sorry about your run of bad luck. If you ever manage to get another Vor site up and running I'll be the first there!

Hiromoon:

I still owe you a chromed "glitter boy" marauder, and a city fight game. Someday, someday...

Scipio:

Don't take any lip from that parrot! My offer to by you a brew the next time you're in Pittsburgh still stands (atcually, that goes for any of you!).

CudaHP:

Wherever you are, I hope you're ok.

MaxStiener:

What can I say mate? The quote in your signature by that charming and handsome Quark fellow says it all.

Anyin:

Your tutorial rocks.

Byram:

I'm sorry I made fun of your Scion. Not really...It's a SCION!

BuShips:

The bug scratching post is the best. I have all of your articles in a nice permanant place on my hard drive.

Dr. Rooster:

You know for a kid you're really not so bad...Most of the time...Also, my offer to supply alchoholic beverages does not extend to you, so please stop PMing me or I'll have to tell on you!

Old Soldier:

Remeber when you told me that we weren't going to hold hands and tip toe through the daisys together?

Last but certainly not least:

MSPRANGE:

Good luck in the future, and God bless you for so patiently listening to my sometimes incessant whinning. Thanks man.

Just in case they end up killing off the forum completely (I know they said it wasn't going to happen that way but...) guys, please feel free to make a note of the e-mail address in my profile to stay in touch.

LIVE FOREVER APES!

I've played since it first came out, and will continue to play it as long as I can roll dice. Shoot, even afterword, 'cuz then I'll just have Mrs. Chipmunk roll them for me. (I bet I'll get a whole lot better then, too!)

Game on my brothas and sistas!

My first experience with SST was reading the book back in the mid-90s. A friend wanted me to play a sci-fi wargame in the grim future and said that to get the proper idea about marine armor I needed to read this book. He also told me about a great boardgame (using chits) of SST and how much fun it was. We never got around to playing that one; I wish we had.

Not long after that we went to the San Diego Comic-con and sat in the (massive) audience for the preview of the first SST movie. Caspar Van Dien was there along with the actress playing Dizzy, the director, etc. When it came out, the movie was entertaining. Nowhere near the best sci-fi movie ever, but fun.

I never knew about the CGI cartoon, so when I heard that the SST wargame was in development and saw some of the first images they were working from, I couldn't figure it out. This didn't look like the movie or how I'd envisioned the armor from the books. Huh. Guess there was some kind of cartoon. Oh well.

Kublacon rolls around in the spring of '05 and Andy Chambers is there demoing the game. There was a pretty big crowd hanging around. About 20 people getting ready to throw some dice on the big table. A second table was nearby for smaller games. I didn't want to get involved in a big game at the time, but I did chat with Andy about the game mechanics for 5-10 minutes and it sounded pretty cool.

Flash-forward to winter '06 and I pick up a copy of the game at a convention for a great price. I've got a friend who's in the Mongoose demo program, so I ask him to teach me the game. We play a couple small demos and I like the system. I start building up a Bug army for the Kublacon '06 SST tourney. I spend many late nights assembling and painting a plasma bug, tanker and brain bug. I don't have time to assemble and paint all the warrior bugs I'll need, so I'll be borrowing those from my friend.

Kublacon '06 finally arrives and I'm ready for battle. Matt Sprange is one of the guests of honor at the con. Prior to the tournament, there are many demos being conducted by Kirkmex, he's got a nice display with lots of the minis and big signs. He runs a big game on Saturday night and this time, I'm ready to play. He's painted *all* the miniatures on the battlefield, which was 12' by 4', also constructed and painted by Kirkmex. I think there were 300 warrior bugs, 3 Plasma bugs, 2 tankers, at least one brain bug and a whole bunch of LAMI. 40? 50? Not sure.

To get the game started, Mobile Infantry Lieutenant Jason (can't remember his forum name) in full costume got the crowd going with the, "Do you want to live forever!?!" stuff. He did a great job at it:

SST08.jpg

And the big game was underway:
SST05.jpg

SST03.jpg

SST06.jpg

SST04.jpg

The objective had something to do with killing or capturing the Brain Bug in the middle of the table. Those LAMI there *nearly* did the job. There were also some Fighters flying overhead, but I think they got taken out by the Plasma Bugs. A Skyhook was going to land and capture the Brain Bug, I think, but iirc, the Bugs were finally able to swarm in at the last moment and take out the LAMI. Don't hold me to that result as it was nearly 2 years ago now.

Okay, so after a GREAT game (thanks Kirkmex!!!), it was time to rest up for the tourney the next day. I won't bore you with how my games went, but here's my favorite photoshopped game in progress. This is after Turn 2, I believe:
SST07.jpg

I got SO slaughtered by that guy's Exosuits. This was my first "real" game of SST with full-sized armies, so I had a serious disadvantage and my opponent really knew what he was doing. I caused very few casualties that game. We had 8 players? Maybe 10? The MI armies were all remarkably varied. There was this Exosuit army, a Marauder army, a Pathfinder army, a standard MI army. I played against another Bug army that looked similar to mine but had many key differences. All in all, I had a good time getting stomped on throughout the day. Matt Sprange watched my last game and said, "Come and find me after your game and I'll give you some advice." I did so and we chatted for a half-hour or more and he did indeed have some good advice for me.

Later that night, Matt did a slide-show presentation about the future of Mongoose, with Victory at Sea being an upcoming game at the time, among other things. This was also the first time "pre-painted" came up as a topic. At the time he was talking about it terms of a Warhammer-style game where you would buy blocks of units in a box, pre-painted. He did mention the quality of pre-paints would be higher than what we'd seen in the industry before. No mention of Battlefield Evolution or any major changes to SST came up during the talk.

I had a good time and was looking forward to more SST games in the future. Unfortunately, my friend stopped being an MI volunteer shortly after Kublacon, which was a bummer as he was my prime candidate for SST games. Later that year my FLGS closed down and one of my best "gamer friends" moved away, putting a few more obstacles in my SST path, and then of course the SST EVO stuff was announced and the game went into deep freeze.

Present Day:
At this point, my interest in the game is rising. It looks like it will be extremely hard to get ahold of SST minis from here on out, so I've been filling the gaps in my MI army (the bugs are in good enough shape at this point) so that I'll have two armies to share with friends and get some games in. I only regret not buying the Exosuits when they were readily available. D'oh!

I look forward to downloading SST WotS, printing it out at Kinko's and giving it a spin.

I've got my fingers crossed for Mongoose as I hate to see companies in the gaming industry on hard times. Hopefully they'll be able to pull through and if they're able to revive the SST game down the road, then great!

Thanks for reading. And thanks for the other posts in this thread.

I got into it at Origin 2005. My son and I did the demo and were instantly sold, my wallet has hated me ever since.

I will miss new stuff, but I have enough stuff to keep me going for a long time to come.

LIVE FOREVER APES!!!!!

:lol:
Made me chuckle a bit.
I began thinking about SST the minute I saw the awesome bug minis. But I just saw it as a game that would always just be bugs vs humans and I had never really taken interest in SST in any way shape or form.
I played GOMC1, I read JD religiously, and I met Nick and Marc at Dreddcon in Oxford. This made me see a new company that was starting to light up and shine that was local.
So I joined the demo team and ran gangs a few times. I then witnessed all the rumours of the skinnies and then began to grow interested. How I see it, is that I like to play 'weird' races, simply because no one else does! I like to be individual in that sense. That is also probably why I rarely understood the comments made whilst at Mongoose Towers (not to mention my age :lol: ).
So me and Reborn took up playing SST and tried to get it going at our club, and we sometimes saw success, but usually people decided that it was too hard to get hold of, was too limited or was not limited enough! I chose not to care and continued demoing and enjoying the game I played. So I created a LARGE Skinnie force and a Bug force that could take on a simple MI force for demos. Combining forces, we had quite a lot of stuff!
I went for a week to see what it was like 'working' with the mongoose team for a week for work experience. I gathered all sorts of information, mostly about VaS and BF:Evo in their production stages. This was a good change from my usual view of a wargames company, it really opened my eyes to how the people who run the business can become confused if they take too much on at once.
Then I left, went on thinking all woul dbe fine... The SST releases stopped. The skinnie cabal had come out and that was it... Then BFEVO came out, all seemed great, we were all happy. It was going well and was going to get better. Then it got held up. Figures. That is when I began to lose trust, but I kept thinking 'Don't worry, they'll sort it out'... Alas, didn't happen. Rumours of SST:evo began too. This seemed great! We had seen the prepaints and were just waiting on them to be released to us! Again, did not happen. I was hugely disappointed as I was promised by Old Bear that I would be able to get some nice new skinnies soon that looked the part! The only reason I got most of the skinnies was simply from dedication! They were REALLY hard to demo with as people saw them as butt-ugly!
Finally. Matt gave good news. He announced that SST was going to be released, not as pre-painted. He FINALLY saw the failure of BF:EVO fall into place. This was great. All sorts was happening, people were buzzing. Especially the demo team. Supposedly S&P in March will have the pics of the new tanker in it. Not now.
I don't know whether to give up now or not. I have enjoyed being part of the demo team, I have supported Mongoose almost religiously and stood up for them on all sorts of forums. I have broken that once on the UK Conf-Federation where I claimed that MGP didn't bring out very nice minis. But was quick to take it back. I got a right slapping from Old Bear for that. But even after all that, to be treated like this... It really takes the biscuit guys. People will go elsewhere, that's how community rolls. Only a few people can honestly stay here and be fully fledged to MGP.

I have enjoyed SST, I thankyou for that much.
All we ask are little things every so often. Rules are fine, rules are great. But sooner or later, we're gonna want minis. Remember...

We know where your office is!
:lol: :p

Back