Starship Troopers Evolution

MaxSteiner said:
I have been thinking though, I can assume that Mongoose must have had some warning about this (I doubt they could get to this stage in the ten days since this announcement from scratch), how long ago was this seriously considered an option for SST?

I think it's taken them until very recently to be sure the technology for the new figures would work out. I'm sure they've been considering it for ages, but not wanting to tell anyone until they were sure they could really do it.

Now…in thanks for our efforts and investment (of time and money), the game is being rebooted. We’re back to frigging Cap troopers and Bugs???? Am I the only one who feels like people who invested in SST:Beta just got thrown under the bus?

You evidently weren't listening. The initial MI releases will be Exosuits and LAMI, as in, Book Suits and Movie troopers. Just like it should've been at the beginning (since no one has seen the Roughnecks Chronicles except us fanboys). This way the first releases will catch the eye of the Movie lovers and the Book lovers, of which there are a lot more. I wouldn't mind if they waited a year or two before remaking the Cap troopers, as the Cap Troopers aren't selling the game as it is (believe me, I've run quite a few demos).

Just think, in a year's time everyone in the game stores will make jokes that people only play Exosuit armies! (just like in another game I know) I look forward to that day.

And I'm glad there's going to be a break on models for a while, as we all know we have plenty of stuff to paint. I am worried all those bugs I still have to paint will end up looking worse than the pre-painted ones, but I guess thems the breaks. Also think of all the money you can save between now and then not succumbing to spontaneous purchases of SST stuff.

As someone who was just about to buy into SST in a big way a few weeks ago before the wait for the ANNOUNCEMENT started I have found the last few weeks reading forum posts both entertaining and frustrating. I was sold on the idea of constructing a MI army by one thing only - the PATHFINDERS which to me are just awesome figures.

Now that the announcement has been made and the post literally exploded with comments it is difficult to actually work out from 21 pages of posts what is actually going to happen. Msprange has certainly has had a difficult task holding the line today and is obviously very passionate about the new game.

But given the amount of time, hype etc.. that has gone into this there could have been a few more models on display and more actual information. I would have thought that the announcement would be a little more than a simple post snuck in late at night.

Some more details have come out over many subsequent posts, but could this not all be collated into one official release.

Will the boxsets be based on the existing ones? How do the army books fit in (I know they will still have their uses, but how?) What does one need to start etc Same goes for Battlefield Evolution.

If you are seriously telling me that you don’t actually have the compositions of boxes sets roughly worked out then it seems that seems highly unconvincing given the effort you have put in.

It does not have to be today or this week, but rather sooner than 2007. Clear and simple statements would be much appreciated rather than ambiguous ones. A little suspense is good and I think that people have been overly critical in the last few weeks, but there should be more details now.

Thanks (don’t mean to be to critical as I thought the “old” game looked very interesting)

Well, I've been talking it over with my regular gaming group. Five guys are really interested in this (not much, but I don't expect to much hype given we'll be waiting until April '07).

IF the final pre-painted Models are the same quality as those shown by Mr 'Spange (you'll notice I keep repeating this part - still can't honestly believe they can mass produce miniatures pre-painted to that standard).

If the models remain at roughly the same price they are now, well that's just a bonus. :D

Yeah Max,

I'm also wondering how long they were considering it. Unfortunately the more I think about it the worse the taste in my mouth gets. Like I said, this is a good idea for them in terms of a mass market, but I'm feeling more and more like the poster who said he felt like he'd just been playing a betta version of the game. Is this the reason for the rushed/incomplete feel of all the books to this point? Is that why most of the artwork is sub-par or non-existant? Oh well. At least Vor, Chronopia, 40k, and Warzone will have some company in the attic now. :?

[/quote]Let's see...Howabout: Your old models are still going to be usefull? It's not like they are gone.[/quote]

Ok, my old models can still be used but how's that different than me using GW Space Marines as proxies? Heck, I coulda been doing that all along (and, in hindsight, maybe I should have).

[/quote]Howabout: You'll be getting new stuff early on with new stuff? Air assets have been mentioned to be on one of the first things to come out there(after initial 8).[/quote]

And for my willingness to support this game the last 1.5yrs, I am thanked by being told I have to wait for months to get new units...that's a nice pat on the back...

[/quote] Howabout: The new rules seem to be more of cleared up version of current SST rather than complete overhaul so your favourite game isn't going to change radically(though seems like we get suppression! About frigging time!).[/quote]

New rules that were based on all the playtesting beta-players have been doing these last several months...and those same folks now have to re-purchase the rules after less than 2 years.

The bottom line is that anybody who supported the game pre-SST:Evo is being given short shrift because this announcement effectively ended that game...gloss over it however you like.

What do you tell some poor kid who just decided to get into SST:Beta and bought the hardcover rules last month and now, at a minimum, needs to buy new rules in a few months? Or the poor soul who bought that horrid Skinnie Leader just yesterday?

And did MGP, knowing this was coming for at least 2 weeks now, say...guys...hold off on getting some of this stuff becuase it's being redone? Nope...

I'm saying that MGP is in a position to do well with SST:Evo (the business model looks good, I admit it) but I now have reservations about supporting a company that would pull this kind of switcheroo without doing right by the very folks who helped get them to this point. Its about displaying good faith with youyr core customer base...especially if you are gunna change directions after only 15-16 months.

mthomason said:
MaxSteiner said:
I have been thinking though, I can assume that Mongoose must have had some warning about this (I doubt they could get to this stage in the ten days since this announcement from scratch), how long ago was this seriously considered an option for SST?

I think it's taken them until very recently to be sure the technology for the new figures would work out. I'm sure they've been considering it for ages, but not wanting to tell anyone until they were sure they could really do it.

Matt forget it, the Neg's will ALWAYS find something to be negative about.

YES - it would have been in place for a while - possibly ever since they got concerned over responces to some of the newer miniatures.

Possibly when the LAMI went wrong, there could of been a LOT of points where this started to be a consideration.

However, would it have been fair to mention it so early on - no, it would not.

Its great news I think, the only thing I think is a bit off is the timing. If this had been ready for Xmas, they would have made a killing! NO QUESTION!

Zekk_Sirius said:
still can't honestly believe they can mass produce miniatures pre-painted to that standard

Join the club!

They do keep insisting they can, though. :)

If these were going to be sold in boxes without windows, I'd be worried. As they're not, I can't imagine they would want to risk putting an inferior painted product in them.

It is worth bearing in mind that the delay between now and actually getting them in stores may well be down to the time it'll take to produce enough of them for the first shipment. Maybe the reason there's such a delay is because they need to "get ahead" on the schedule and make sure it doesn't turn into a mad rush for the only half-dozen boxes per store anyone has got in stock...

mthomason said:
I can't see why you still can't do this... it's no different to back in the day when all we had were a few metal miniatures to play with and plastics didn't exist yet - we still found ways to convert them :)

The advantage is, this time you don't need to saw away for 15 minutes to seperate someone at the waist ;)

Hey, don't get all "I played Chainmail with disfigured blobs of metal and we liked it" with me! :wink:

I can't argue things in the hobby have gone zooming upwards as far as not only quality but selection; I remeber Gencon 5ish or so in the dealer room, and what it is today. The idea back then that we would have *thousands* of figures to choose from would have made us all laugh heartily back then. We had to mod stuff since there were so few figures available.

But...this is today. There are thousands of figs to choose from, and dozens if not more game systems...and yet I still like to make my figures individual. I doubt I'm alone in liking that. If I have a kit, a shall we say less talanted in art person such as myself has a way to get expressive with the models by using what talent we do have pumped up by parts that are done at a pro level...giving non sculpting me a way to toss some flair in and still have it look good. Since I'm playing SST exclusively these days, I'll miss that in new figs.

Sure, I can whip out the 'ol Dremmel and whack some figs apart, but if I don't have a selection of parts to swap in, I'm sorta stuck. I would love to be able to sculpt parts like a pro, but the simple fact is I can't. A bit of green stuff hiding bad joins are about where my ability ends (and I suspect many others too). If I have a box of parts, I can come up with some fun stuff these days. If its all pre assembled figs, not so much.

But, while I'll still whine about it, I can't fault the buisness sense of pre-assembled figs; it is just plain what sells these days. And of course, as Matt has said whats out there now will still be available, so maybe I'm just being an idiot; I'll still have a source of bits. But I want *new* bits ;).

Oh, and another thing: yes, the prepainted stuff looks very nice. I disagree with some folks that the paint job is simplistic, we're not talking showcase single model at a contest paint job here, but playable figs that look good. Anyone who has seen my figs can tell you I'm an enthusiastic, but perhaps not so good painter. Will those look better then my paint job? While its a personal opinion sort of thing, I suspect the general answer will be "Yes". But....the fun in the game of Private Barnes (all my MI have a name on the base) getting his head ripped off by that "special" bug that falls over all the time because I glued the legs a bit roundish...that aspect would be diminished greatly since I would spend a lot more time modding, so not as many of those models will be on the table. For me, thats the big part of a mini army...that is *my* army, bad paint job and all. If I'm buying it out of a box, I think I loose that.

Your milage may vary...

Let's see...Howabout: Your old models are still going to be usefull? It's not like they are gone.[/quote]

Ok, my old models can still be used but how's that different than me using GW Space Marines as proxies? Heck, I coulda been doing that all along (and, in hindsight, maybe I should have).

[/quote]Howabout: You'll be getting new stuff early on with new stuff? Air assets have been mentioned to be on one of the first things to come out there(after initial 8).[/quote]

And for my willingness to support this game the last 1.5yrs, I am thanked by being told I have to wait for months to get new units...that's a nice pat on the back...

[/quote] Howabout: The new rules seem to be more of cleared up version of current SST rather than complete overhaul so your favourite game isn't going to change radically(though seems like we get suppression! About frigging time!).[/quote]

New rules that were based on all the playtesting beta-players have been doing these last several months...and those same folks now have to re-purchase the rules after less than 2 years.

The bottom line is that anybody who supported the game pre-SST:Evo is being given short shrift because this announcement effectively ended that game...gloss over it however you like.

What do you tell some poor kid who just decided to get into SST:Beta and bought the hardcover rules last month and now, at a minimum, needs to buy new rules in a few months? Or the poor soul who bought that horrid Skinnie Leader just yesterday?

And did MGP, knowing this was coming for at least 2 weeks now, say...guys...hold off on getting some of this stuff becuase it's being redone? Nope...

I'm saying that MGP is in a position to do well with SST:Evo (the business model looks good, I admit it) but I now have reservations about supporting a company that would pull this kind of switcheroo without doing right by the very folks who helped get them to this point. Its about displaying good faith with youyr core customer base...especially if you are gunna change directions after only 15-16 months.[/quote]

How is this "ending the game" none of the models are invalidated, and you get a new spanking RB to boot!

All the ref cards will be available as DL's too - I really can't see this as ending the game.

You are just coming over as sulking because you don't like it/agree with it!

Games&Theory said:
What do you tell some poor kid who just decided to get into SST:Beta and bought the hardcover rules last month and now, at a minimum, needs to buy new rules in a few months?

Rules come in the boxed sets, which is all you need to start playing 'fun' games. For balanced lists, you can pick up the new rules, which will be cheaper now they've been re-cut.

Or, you can sell the rulebook on Ebay and get your money back.

Games&Theory said:
Or the poor soul who bought that horrid Skinnie Leader just yesterday?

Ebay? Or if he wanted the model that he went and bought it, how about painting it and using it with the new rules? I mean did I miss it somewhere in the thread where they said you can not play SST: Evo with the older models as proxies?

Galatea said:
all new minis will be prepainted.
Argh, then I'll have to spray them and paint them again.

This was an early discussion on the playtest group.

Matthew has already said they would consider variant color schemes based on customer interest. This is important, just think of the supply and distribution hassles involved in providing variants of a set.

He has also stated that with this technology it would be more expensive to get unpainted. My hope is that we will be able to get a special order type deal with just a neutral base color.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
Matt forget it, the Neg's will ALWAYS find something to be negative about.

Don't take the high ground with me mate, you were still insisting that the skinny slaves were good figures last I heard. All of my negative comments have been shown to be valid with hindsight.
Despite what you seriously believe someone doesnt have to like EVERY SINGLE thing to be a fan of a product, the skinnies were rubbish and killed SST v1.0 simple as that.
I'm actually all for the prepainted models I know alot of people which will play (And pay for that matter) if they don't have to paint. I just happen to think pulling SST support foir eight months and announcing yet another game, might not be the best way to go about it.
Oh and I've never gone into a hissy fit and threatened to quit. :lol:

NANITE! Take care Bro. I'm on the edge of the fence and ready to fall on this too my friend.

man, this has been a pretty crappy month. work problems, car problems, relationship problems, and now my F-ING own Hobby is kickin' me in the nuts. the BIG MAN in the sky is having a FIELD DAY on my ass this month.

I thought a goodnights sleep would help, it did'nt. I've got SO MANY QUESTIONS that I need answered, unfortuantley, only time will answer them for me.

......................well, i guess I'm going back to VOR: The Maelstrom again for awhile. It may be a DEAD game but I know it's not going to pull a GW on me!! :evil: not that mongoose is, but $3,500 later, I can't help but feel like I just bought the "London Bridge" if you know what I mean.

F#*(K!!!! :evil: :evil:

$3,500.00....I feel like a chump

one last thing, so the RIPPLERS currently are plastic for $50. Now if they were metal I figured they would be around $75.00 for 9 of 'em. Is that the kind of price I'm looking at having to spend when these come out Pre-Painted??????????

I guess we WONT have to worry about kids getting into this game after all, there's NO WAY they'll be able to afford it. and that's a good thing. That's one reason that killed my STAR WARS CMG interest, playing with 10 year old kids. same for 40k, 10 year olds!!!!

Wow !!! There's an awful lot of screaming and crying going on here !!!

I've read the entire thread and gotta wonder...did the nay-sayers actually read the OP ???

The only thing I agree with is the long wait for this with no new stuff does not sound really good. But then I really, really miss Warzone and Chronopia. :D A lot.

Bluefool said:
Hey, don't get all "I played Chainmail with disfigured blobs of metal and we liked it" with me! :wink:

Still got all my Chainmail, BUT its a totally different kettle of fish. SSTE is a sort of 2nd Edition, with a new way of presenting the Armies

Bluefool said:
I can't argue things in the hobby have gone zooming upwards as far as not only quality but selection; I remeber Gencon 5ish or so in the dealer room, and what it is today. The idea back then that we would have *thousands* of figures to choose from would have made us all laugh heartily back then. We had to mod stuff since there were so few figures available.

You've just validated their decision to do this, with so much choice you need something to 'tempt' people to play SST.

Bluefool said:
But...this is today. There are thousands of figs to choose from, and dozens if not more game systems...and yet I still like to make my figures individual. I doubt I'm alone in liking that. If I have a kit, a shall we say less talanted in art person such as myself has a way to get expressive with the models by using what talent we do have pumped up by parts that are done at a pro level...giving non sculpting me a way to toss some flair in and still have it look good. Since I'm playing SST exclusively these days, I'll miss that in new figs.

But there is ABSOLUTELY nothing stopping you individualizing your army, more highlights & shading, overpainting or conversions. I can't see what the problem is.

Bluefool said:
Sure, I can whip out the 'ol Dremmel and whack some figs apart, but if I don't have a selection of parts to swap in, I'm sorta stuck. I would love to be able to sculpt parts like a pro, but the simple fact is I can't. A bit of green stuff hiding bad joins are about where my ability ends (and I suspect many others too). If I have a box of parts, I can come up with some fun stuff these days. If its all pre assembled figs, not so much.

You will soon find that you will build up a lot of 'bits' nevertheless, plus there are the sets which aren't pre-painted. Try to look at this positively, why not learn to sculpt!

Bluefool said:
But, while I'll still whine about it, I can't fault the buisness sense of pre-assembled figs; it is just plain what sells these days. And of course, as Matt has said whats out there now will still be available, so maybe I'm just being an idiot; I'll still have a source of bits. But I want *new* bits ;).

What about nagging Mongoose into doing an 'Accessory' Box for MI

Bluefool said:
Oh, and another thing: yes, the prepainted stuff looks very nice. I disagree with some folks that the paint job is simplistic, we're not talking showcase single model at a contest paint job here, but playable figs that look good. Anyone who has seen my figs can tell you I'm an enthusiastic, but perhaps not so good painter. Will those look better then my paint job? While its a personal opinion sort of thing, I suspect the general answer will be "Yes". But....the fun in the game of Private Barnes (all my MI have a name on the base) getting his head ripped off by that "special" bug that falls over all the time because I glued the legs a bit roundish...that aspect would be diminished greatly since I would spend a lot more time modding, so not as many of those models will be on the table. For me, thats the big part of a mini army...that is *my* army, bad paint job and all. If I'm buying it out of a box, I think I loose that.

There is NOTHING stopping you still doing any of that, not at all!

Bluefool said:
Your milage may vary...

I'm not sure what you meant by this . . . .

Their offering you high quality pre-painted, pre-assembled(?) miniatures for the same price you'd pay to get the models un-painted and un-assembled, thereby saving you the cost of purchasing a modelling knife, paints and brushes, glues...

And if you want to spend a little extra to personalise the models, you still can. I mean really, where's the negative?

I would have thought you people bought your models because you liked them, not purely to support a game system (and if you bought models purely for the latter, your foolishness is thus punished).

Lane Shutt said:
My hope is that we will be able to get a special order type deal with just a neutral base color.

Oh hey, I like that idea quite a bit. Not my prefered kits maybe, but as long as its a neutral color I can still try to let my inner artist go nuts.

Hmm...pre-painted miniautres? Forgive me if this has been already asked (but I don't want to wade through 22 pages of posts)...

Will you still produce unpainted versions of everything, including the new stuff for those of use who still want to assemble, modify, and paint our own?

Brother Jim said:
I've read the entire thread and gotta wonder...did the nay-sayers actually read the OP ???
I think the degree of complaints is only to be expected, under the circumstances. Personally I'm surprised it's gone down as well as it has :) There'll be some yelling for a while yet I think, and the best way is probably to let those who are disappointed express that disappointment. I have no doubts that some people will never "come around" to the way SST is moving and will, unfortunately, move on to other things. For those that are stuck in the middle, we can all try and help answer their concerns and questions.
Brother Jim said:
The only thing I agree with is the long wait for this with no new stuff does not sound really good. But then I really, really miss Warzone and Chronopia. :D A lot.
The delay probably worries me a lot less than all the other changes - which puts me in a fairly unique minority from the looks of things. It's going to be at least next June before my existing SST minis are all painted, so the new ones will be playable before even my existing ones...

Back