Starship Troopers 3 News

Chrisy_m_uk

Mongoose
Now this is interesting!

http://io9.com/360061/starship-troopers-iii-actually-based-on-heinlein-novel-this-time

News about the new Starship Troopers film and speculation we might see powered armour in it. I'll be honest I had pondered whether that might be the case when I saw it was subtitled 'Marauder'.

Definitely one to follow.

I've managed to cull a selection of pictures from the internet for SST 3, and nothing really hints at Power Armor. If they're really going more with the book this time... well, I donno.

The new morita?
savante.jpg

Umm, wasn't the name of the movie called Starship Troopers 3: Marauder?

I'd think that was a fair hint at a term we are all familiar with :wink:.

I had thought we discussed this before many moons ago.

People, this is Hollywood we're talking here. When presented with a source material, they will rape it, gut it and piss on the remains.
I expect "Marauder" to be somebody's nickname, or code name for the operation.

Sight said:
People, this is Hollywood we're talking here. When presented with a source material, they will rape it, gut it and piss on the remains.
I expect "Marauder" to be somebody's nickname, or code name for the operation.

Not withstanding any of your comments on Hollywood (as I agree there), I'd heard that Rico is supposed to get to test out some new R&D. I guess we'll see in a few days perhaps. :wink:

"Starship Troopers III is much truer to the original Heinlein book than the first two movies, Van Dien and Neumeier both stressed. We might actually get to see the power suits that Heinlein talks about in the book. "

Taken from the link! Of course this looks a lot like idle speculation but hey we can hope!

What we can certainly hope for though are new gribblies -

"Also, there are three new types of bugs, two of which appeared in the clips we saw at Wondercon. One new bug is called a Bombadier, and it's a sort of ball that lands among a group of human soldiers and then explodes (one human throws himself onto it and sacrifices himself for the others), then grows into a big eyestalk that shoots white fire."

Chrissy

Incidentally not a big fan of the new Moritas...

BuShips said:

I'd think that was a fair hint at a term we are all familiar with :wink:

The main character in the recent SST PC game was also a marauder. However, he wasn't anything like in the book. One of the LAMI troopers in the game makes a comment about how he heard the marauder is supposed to be able to jump far. Another LAMI trooper explains that the development team ran out of time and money to make that happen.

darklord4 said:
BuShips said:

The main character in the recent SST PC game was also a marauder. However, he wasn't anything like in the book. One of the LAMI troopers in the game makes a comment about how he heard the marauder is supposed to be able to jump far. Another LAMI trooper explains that the development team ran out of time and money to make that happen.

Whoever wrote that was sure out of the loop. Sheesh. :roll:
Money savings isn't a concern if the entire species is dead I'd think. :wink:
That's all of the incentive I'd sure need to get the job done, so I'd take a guess that you would agree, no?

I'd take all of the people with the opinion that it couldn't be "afforded" and sell all of their body organs. That special fund would then pay for the R&D. :p

BuShips said:
darklord4 said:
BuShips said:

Whoever wrote that was sure out of the loop. Sheesh. :roll:
Money savings isn't a concern if the entire species is dead I'd think. :wink:
That's all of the incentive I'd sure need to get the job done, so I'd take a guess that you would agree, no?

I'd take all of the people with the opinion that it couldn't be "afforded" and sell all of their body organs. That special fund would then pay for the R&D. :p
I think it was an in-game aside to a game mechanic not being made...I'll have to look for the exact quote, but I am sure it was a game self reference/deprecation.

darklord4 said:
I think it was an in-game aside to a game mechanic not being made...I'll have to look for the exact quote, but I am sure it was a game self reference/deprecation.

You don't even have to research it, as it's no big deal. It's just that if your entire species is at risk you wouldn't let a thing like money get in the way. It just doesn't "fit" the SST canon. :roll:

darklord4 said:
BuShips said:

Maybe it's just me, but that would be a joke to reflect the reality of no time/$ to finish the functionality for the video game.

Paladin said:
darklord4 said:
BuShips said:

Maybe it's just me, but that would be a joke to reflect the reality of no time/$ to finish the functionality for the video game.

Yeah, I think that was what darklord4 was alluding to. :)

Just watched the trailer, so the question is...is that a Marauder seen in the trailer and what the heck is that big thing that looks like something out of war of the worlds??? :shock:

Back