Star trek Era and A call to Arms

Finlos said:
I'm really unclear how the concept of dynamics matters at all for a spaceship. It's space, what exactly is out there to cause drag?? I can understand it for something capable of atmospheric flight but if it was never intended to enter an atmosphere, why bother?
If you're talking about the spade-shaped "fast" ships, the techno-babble answer is that it has to do with the shape of the warp field. It's an offshoot of developing the FedEx courier boat, which looks like a football with engines (an American football, that is, not your football that we Yanks call soccer), in that they found that by stretching the ship out allow the warp bubble to distort while remaining stable resulting in higher top speeds.

Sgt_G said:
Finlos said:
I'm really unclear how the concept of dynamics matters at all for a spaceship. It's space, what exactly is out there to cause drag?? I can understand it for something capable of atmospheric flight but if it was never intended to enter an atmosphere, why bother?
If you're talking about the spade-shaped "fast" ships, the techno-babble answer is that it has to do with the shape of the warp field. It's an offshoot of developing the FedEx courier boat, which looks like a football with engines (an American football, that is, not your football that we Yanks call soccer), in that they found that by stretching the ship out allow the warp bubble to distort while remaining stable resulting in higher top speeds.

A football with engines you say....

225px-Planet_Express_Ship.jpg

hmmmm...

And here I thought it was just a combination of larger warp engines and fewer heavy weapons. Where would we be without techno-babble? :D

Cyporiean said:
A football with engines you say....

225px-Planet_Express_Ship.jpg

hmmmm...
Good news everyone! :lol:

Going back to subject of SFU ships being samey, I was struck by how the AoG Babylon 5 designs retained the aesthetic of a the on screen ships, yet produced a variety of different designs.

I'm sure there is the freedom to kitbash new ship designs or use proxy models as others if your not happy with ships (provided everyone is happy with this) - using an NX class ship or NX refit as a Light Cruiser or Battlecruiser

Many other companies do produce prepainted models which you can kitbash or use straight out of the box with your Star Line 2500 ships be it F-Toys, Konami, Furuta, Galoob and there original Micro Machines etc

Really looking forward to modelling myself and painting my ships - fingers crossed they ship soon :)

Thinkman, that type of quetion has come so up many times in the past, I already know SVC's answer: nobody will come to your house and take your toys away if you chop them up and glue them back together. Likewise, nobody will come and tell you to stop playing by "house rules" or burn all your fan-made ship designs. However, comma, the moment you start selling your "new" minis / SSD charts / rules without Steve's permission, you start stepping on toes and so Steve's lawyer will send you a nice letter asking you to stop.

Sgt_G said:
Thinkman, that type of quetion has come so up many times in the past, I already know SVC's answer: nobody will come to your house and take your toys away if you chop them up and glue them back together. Likewise, nobody will come and tell you to stop playing by "house rules" or burn all your fan-made ship designs. However, comma, the moment you start selling your "new" minis / SSD charts / rules without Steve's permission, you start stepping on toes and so Steve's lawyer will send you a nice letter asking you to stop.

Who said anything about selling minis and stuff - also there is already a market for that and plenty of sellers there already who are dealing in rules, custom models and casts - too bad its all at the wrong scale now :)

Sgt_G said:

I think its more likely to be converted ships appearing on the forum with stats and history so if people want to use them / emulate they can.....

So for instance my Klingon Oblivion Class Dreadnought :) will likely appear quickly.

Da Boss"I think its more likely to be converted ships appearing on the forum with stats and history so if people want to use them / emulate they can..... So for instance my Klingon [i said:
Oblivion[/i] Class Dreadnought :) will likely appear quickly.

Looking forward to seeing that along with other ships, classes, there history and more made by the community :)

Guys, be sure that if you stat up ships they do NOT violate someone else's intellectual property. If ships from the movies or other series start showing up here, we will have to ask you to take them down. We cannot produce those ships and we cannot allow our fans to "produce" them for us. That violates the terms of the license that ADB (and mow Mongoose) are bound to honor. It's the one drawback to being able to produce a game that you will enjoy for the rest of your life and will be able to play with your grandchildren.

Jean

Yeah got that - the ship I had in mond was a conversion of the present dreadnought so the engines look coler to me :) - as posted earlier:

In my universe the Klingons looked at the D5W and hmmm that looks so much better than the hack job we did on the old Dreadnought and modified several ships to be the new Oblivion class D8W dreadnought (don't know if it exist buts seems to follow the coding thingy). One designer had pointed out that they needed warp powered boom - no problem they said, and constructed a concealed drop down engine for emergency use - all good

Jean said:
Guys, be sure that if you stat up ships they do NOT violate someone else's intellectual property. If ships from the movies or other series start showing up here, we will have to ask you to take them down. We cannot produce those ships and we cannot allow our fans to "produce" them for us. That violates the terms of the license that ADB (and mow Mongoose) are bound to honor. It's the one drawback to being able to produce a game that you will enjoy for the rest of your life and will be able to play with your grandchildren.

Jean

Noted and sorted :)

Thinkman -- sorry, but perhaps I misread what you meant. Still, it's good to get that "warning" out there early and often.

If you're asking if ADB / Mongoose will produce kits allowing you to modify your minis ... maybe, but only to a point. ADB already sells spare parts (engines , sensor dish, etc) for the Starline 2400 series metal minis, but I would have to presume it will be a long time (if ever) before we'll see the same for the 2500 series.

If you're asking if you can post photos of your kit-bashed minis ... I would suggest running such photos by The Powers That Be via e-mail first. If it looks too much like Next-Gen Trek, they can't allow you to post it.

---

Da Boss -- Steve Cole posted over on the ADB board "I should note that the ADB web policy does NOT authorize you to do your own game-to-game conversions and post them to your websites and that goes double for ACTA. Matthew wants to be sure he has personally checked everything before anyone sees it."

Again, what you do within your local game group, nobody cares. But once someone starts uploading stats for "new" ships, copyright rules kick in. What happens to sales of future official products if someone should post stats for Lyran & Hydran ships? There are some people that will wonder why they're being asked to pay for stuff they already got for free on-line, even if it's not official.

There are some people that will wonder why they're being asked to pay for stuff they already got for free on-line, even if it's not official.
In all honesty......I think those are just the people that won't buy official stuff at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least for me it is so, that conversions and alternate universes just increase my interest in a game line (when one of the members of this forum made up a whole darker universe for babylon 5 including strongly MODIFIED shipstats it was one hell of a fun for me to read through and it even increased my interest in acta). So I can't really understand that comment.

The copyright bending argument I understand. But are you sure that it is THAT strict? So that even if you put up stats for example the kelvin of the latest startrek film (or the reliant in star trek 2) that you would infringe the copyright with doing that?
(if so then there are a huge mass of websites out there that infringe the copyright......as I've seen conversions of startrek ships for different systems out there [even for role playing game systems]). OR is the AFB licence THAT strict?

(only want to understand the current situation in regards to conversions,....)

Yes , it is that strict regarding what's posted or published on ADB (and now, by extension, Mongoose) websites etc. See Jean's post further up. She's ADB staff.

Ryueokami said:
The copyright bending argument I understand. But are you sure that it is THAT strict? So that even if you put up stats for example the kelvin of the latest startrek film (or the reliant in star trek 2) that you would infringe the copyright with doing that?
(if so then there are a huge mass of websites out there that infringe the copyright......as I've seen conversions of startrek ships for different systems out there [even for role playing game systems]). OR is the AFB licence THAT strict?

Ryueokuni in a word YES!!! ADB's license with Paramount is very strict and clear. No new Trek material from any Era including the Original Series can be used by ADB or any of Their partners. This means you can not make status for the Kelvin and post them on any website ADB has a official presence on. Further more part of ADBs license is that they are legally bound to report any copyrights violations they become aware of. So yes there are hundreds of sites out there that publish a vast amount of Paramounts IP illegally and if ADB became aware of it say like some posted that they made conversion stats over on the website WEPUBLISHTREKCONVERSIONS. They would beforced to ask that site to take down anything related to them and the send Paramount a courtesy copy so they can decide what they want to do about the rest of the content.

So to recap you can not post stats for cannon trek conversion here or anywhere. If ADB and now Mongoose as well became aware of them posted somewhere else they have to take action to remove it and report it to paramount i

Rambler said:
Ryueokami said:

Ryueokuni in a word YES!!! ADB's license with Paramount is very strict and clear. No new Trek material from any Era including the Original Series can be used by ADB or any of Their partners. This means you can not make status for the Kelvin and post them on any website ADB has a official presence on. Further more part of ADBs license is that they are legally bound to report any copyrights violations they become aware of. So yes there are hundreds of sites out there that publish a vast amount of Paramounts IP illegally and if ADB became aware of it say like some posted that they made conversion stats over on the website WEPUBLISHTREKCONVERSIONS. They would beforced to ask that site to take down anything related to them and the send Paramount a courtesy copy so they can decide what they want to do about the rest of the content.

So to recap you can not post stats for cannon trek conversion here or anywhere. If ADB and now Mongoose as well became aware of them posted somewhere else they have to take action to remove it and report it to paramount i

Wow that is pretty strict.

How about custom ships not in Trek cannon? Like say the "USS Fahrenheit"...

Yepp tahts extremely strict (many other companies aside from paramount had been happy if viewers created variants of things seen on the screen as it was advertisement for them....)

In these regards:
How will it be handled about posting battlereps or fanfictions?
(also not allowed?)

To be honest it seems as if absolutely nothing save "official canon" is allowed - which takes much of the interest for this game from me. - I considered cancelling my preorder but I think the ships I have ordered will still be usable - just likely means quite a few will end up on ebay.

I don't buy the argument about "if its fan made no one will buy official" - sorry but most other games I know have fan made stuff which people use or ignore based on personal bias. I am not aware of a minatures game that takes this stance, certainly Mongoose were never forced to have these restrictions before on any licence.

Whilst I can accept and understand the "no stats/models of licensed products" - I think the no made up ships rule is unfortunate, irritating and cetainly made me unhappy - but I am obviously not the target market.

There seems to be too completely different strands that are mixed together -

1) stats and models of Licensed products
2) Stats and models of ships never in either the licensed products of SFU - these I fell should eb allowed unless the censorship is really that strong.

Back