Who would support?buy a WW2 games based off of SST

• Yes Commrad! I Will join you will driveing the facist from the mother land

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are to many! I give up and will not support the game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

commissarmoody

Mongoose
Ok all you guys that have read the new Signs and Portents 29 already know what I am talking about. So for thouse of you that dont, there is a preposal it seems to produces a game set in the city of stalingrad using modified WWII version of the SST rules that we all love.

Ok now I would like to know who's coeming with me?

Who else would like to take SST to one of the most devistaing battles in human history!

Personally, I'd rather see Mongoose focus on Starship Troopers for a long while, before branching out into new games.

SST is well supported, but we're still missing the Skinnies and the LIMI's and what nots.

Therefore: Finish up SST first, then go for Stalingrad.

I do like the idea, but I feel that it's too much too soon.

Awesome... I will love to see the figures that MG produce for this game! Bring it on. Especially if the figures are as posable as the current MI plastics. Ah, the sniper battles, the tank possibilities (imagine what their tanks would look like after seeing the pics of the dropships for SST :shock: ), the heavy machine guns, planes etc... I would definately buy the game... Then wait for the D-Day landing version....

However, I am concerned as said above, that this may spread their resources too thin and cause delays across all the games.

I've already posted a long rant on another thread about the quantity and quality of games coming out recently. I'd rather companies concentrate on a few good games than many lesser quality games.

-JM

I like the idea, but I'd rather see Mongoose focus on a few games and make them great rather than focus on many games and make them good.

If it's a few years down the road, I'm all for it. If it's going to compete too much for staff with SST in the coming year or two, then I'd rather they wait on it.

i realy like the idea.

from reading the signs and portants articla i only ask mongoose this

i have to ask for mongoose to keep the flinch rules in, and make cover of more ease to sue please.

reason we need flinch is it helps keep close combat flowing and represent supression fire very well.. maybe a modle should rather than flinch, do a D6 roll on his moral value and if he fails he moves back his movement rather than 2" (representing units starting to break for cover and fleeing.) modles that pass move the normal 2" unless of course there in cover already..... would be smooth and work well. yup units under firepower could start breaking from cover !

the game would be awsome, i like the ie of a campain game, maybe rather than skills you can call in air strikes or reinforcments or a tank for a game in suport of your next push and so on... ie as you progress in game your comander gains the ability to call in new units as he proves his worth, if you loose your comander then you either promote or call a new one in at level one.. and have to start agian.. or maybe use the priority levels, ie your comander starts at PR1 and moves up in the missions he undertakes, while your oponet doese the same,, so all armies start on pr 1

Mr Evil said:
make cover of more ease to sue please.
Jeeze, talk about frivolous law suits... :lol:

I like the idea of having something to replace flinching, because it doesn't sound like there are going to be many successful armor saves in the game. Some other moral rules would be necessary to reflect the impact of seeing your the rest of your squad mowed down by enemy fire.

xenopsyllus said:
Mr Evil said:
make cover of more ease to sue please.
Jeeze, talk about frivolous law suits... :lol:

I like the idea of having something to replace flinching, because it doesn't sound like there are going to be many successful armor saves in the game. Some other moral rules would be necessary to reflect the impact of seeing your the rest of your squad mowed down by enemy fire.

I agree with Xeno that flinching, at least with ranged weapons, seems more like an armor (as in individual armored infantry suit guys/aliens) thing. Sounds like suppression would fit the bill very nicely.

Dunno whether flinching in CC would be useful to retain or not. Locked combats might be interesting but I also enjoy the way CC is handled in SST.

This would be awesome, although all the points about taking away from SST's current staff are far too true, perhaps this idea needs to wait for a while, although a very limited release of basic infantry, ruleset, and terrain could be rather fast to produce and with limited releases afterwards.... although in the end it might now be worth it for mongoose....

This is an ausome idea... I'm totally digging the whole Mongoose concept. Suppression/Morale is definately better than flinching for WWII. Sniper weapons and the like should negate cover rather than have the accurate trait. Stalingrad is definately the battle to make a game like this for.

A complete box set/miniature line would rock, but in the event that becomes disliked, I think just a rule book would rock, especially if done for 15mm. Then players buy the mongoose skirmish scale rules, and can acquire large armies for cheap, weather they be Battlefront, or Old Glory or another WWII mini maker, and base them individually for this game.

Along with this idea, the WWII naval game looks tight! Great ideas Mongoose!

-Kyle

I play Flames of War, and I am TOTALLY PSYCHED about this prospect. 28mm WWII is the bomb diggity. At least I think it will be :)

Bring it on Mongoose!

Not a hope in hell I'd buy this. The thing about SST is it's Sci-Fi.

MAny of the rules just wouldn't apply for a ww2 ers (tunnelling? I don't think so)

Yes, the SST rules are awsome, but COM ON GUYS!!!! LETS LET THEM DEVELOP SST FULLY BEFORE WE TRY AND GET EM TO MAKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!

We see these posts every two weeks "how about SST rules for this, how about SST rules for that". Look, the reason the rules work so well is that they were developed for and aropund SST, not for a ww2 era game.

COP ON GUYS!!!!!!! What's so wrong with SST that we need to push for OTHER games?

Grrrr.... Rant over..

I disagree. What makes these rules so great, in my opinion, is that they are a great rules system. Not necesarrily applied to any one thing. Its a great, fast, quasi-realistic rules set that is very flexible, fun, and intuitive.

Rock on, I say!

Just personally I wouldn't be playing.

I'm involved in too many wargame periods to do them all justice now. I couldn't resist SST b/c of the movie, and b/c it offered a change from my usual historical gaming.

I wouldn't buy into another historical period right now.

But hey, that's just me.

The rules are awsome, yes. But how would the flier rules (as they stand) would apply? How would the Tunneling rules apply? Firzones? Special Movement modes? I would consider these things to be what makes SST a great game, not just the basic rules set.

Yes, the turn structure (2 actions) is cool, and yes, you could addapt that to a WW2 setting, but what would be the point? There are dozens, if not hundreds of ww2 era wargames out there, why do we need one more?

Logan, before talking about how some rules wouldn't work, go look at the article.

Rules like tunneling just aren't neccessary, nad would not be in the hypothetical Stalingrad rules(as the articles says it). Mongoose was essentially tyalking about taking the esessential rules mechanics from SST and rebuilding all the other rules to suit a WW2 Stalingrad environment. IT's also not a sure thing. it is an article to show teh mongoose fans how tehy develop new ideas. No where do they say this will ever see the light of day. it's simply one of the ideas that made it past the initial screening. even if it is one that gets developed, it's probby a ways in dow the road(a year or 2), nad given the current release schdula, SST will have 3 full factions, some with multiple army lists, by the end of the summer(Skinnies are listed as march and april, presumably with further releases every month following)

I'm personally on hte fence about this at the moment, but then again, it's not going to come out in hte next few months, so i don't ahve to decideright now.

Still, I stand by my opinion, we don't need any more historical games really. And i wasn't saying they wouldn't work, I was saying that they DO NOT APPLY!!! and the afformentioned rules are most definately core to the game as a whole.

BTW, the main beef I have isn't with this particular topic, but all the topics that arise saying, "hey lets use the rules for A, B or C".

I can see nothing good comeing from this as far as SST goes... mabe it's good the for gaming comunity, but it can not be good for SST. The game rocks, the storyline rocks, and the mini's rock. Why do people feel they have to change it?

the old phrase comes to mind "if it's not broken, dont fix it"

Why not spend some time working out something SST related, as it stands, like the Mormon extremist's etc.? Plenty of scope there.. and people could even try to work in the Tanks lots of people seem to want pretty bad...

I like this forum. It's a SST forum. If I wanted to chat WW2, or HALO, or 40k I'd go to those respective forums.

PLEASE NOTE: This is my opinion, and I stand by it, but i don't mean to offend anyone, and if I have, i do apologize! :D

logan said:
Still, I stand by my opinion, we don't need any more historical games really. And i wasn't saying they wouldn't work, I was saying that they DO NOT APPLY!!! and the afformentioned rules are most definately core to the game as a whole.

BTW, the main beef I have isn't with this particular topic, but all the topics that arise saying, "hey lets use the rules for A, B or C".

I can see nothing good comeing from this as far as SST goes... mabe it's good the for gaming comunity, but it can not be good for SST. The game rocks, the storyline rocks, and the mini's rock. Why do people feel they have to change it?

the old phrase comes to mind "if it's not broken, dont fix it"

Why not spend some time working out something SST related, as it stands, like the Mormon extremist's etc.? Plenty of scope there.. and people could even try to work in the Tanks lots of people seem to want pretty bad...

I like this forum. It's a SST forum. If I wanted to chat WW2, or HALO, or 40k I'd go to those respective forums.

PLEASE NOTE: This is my opinion, and I stand by it, but i don't mean to offend anyone, and if I have, i do apologize! :D

I couldn't agree with you more!!!!!

Let's see continued emphasis on SST for a good while, build up the fan base, introduce more races, more options (I love the idea of the Mormon extremists, etc.) and how about some wildlife??? Before the Bug War, hunting dangerous varmints was a duty for the MI, so why not provide us with some nasty beasties from some of the colony worlds? And what about the Fleet?

There's plenty left to explore in the SST universe, and I'd like to see MGP concentrate on it before going in a different direction with the rules set. Also, a new game is going to take away resources (people) from SST, or at least further dilute the time the existing staff have to service the game, IMHO.

Make no mistake...I would love to see a miniatures game on Stalingrad, and all of WWII as well, based on this rules set. I'm a huge WWII "fan" and the Eastern front is one of my major areas of interest. But...

I strongly advise MGP to get the SST products well-established prior to branching out: the risk is diluting the potential customer base otherwise.

Back