SST: Evo and BF: Evo compatibility

BuShips said:
Sgt. Brassones said:
Oh, so you watched "Super Croc" on the National Geographic Channel too... :lol:

Sadly, no. It sounds like a good show though. I was buying "museum" models (as opposed to toys) at a local store (yes, in the toy department, heh) and next to the T-rex models was what looked like an alligator model. As these were all from a company in Germany called Schleich and were all scaled to each other, I thought "What's up with this model?. It's out of scale" Then I saw in tiny letters the name "Deinosuchus" and knew it was a "Dino-saur" :roll: (big hint that it was). The Schleich models come with a little booklet in many languages that gives the scale and stats. Since the "gator" was in the Cretaceous period that was also the same period as the Velociraptors and T-rex models that I was getting, I thought "Now this little honey should make a nasty surprise if it was in a shallow bay or sea within a jungle terrain board." That's why there are three water features included within the jungle board I made for S&P #36. One of the traps for the poor unlucky MI chaps traversing the board to run afoul of in a separate article not yet seen is mama 'suchus and her three hungry babes waiting for the MI insode of the Bug deployment area :wink: . With a mouth like that, she'll be able to use an MI shock stick to clean her teeth with after a crunchy snack of Mobile Infantry. :twisted:
So next time I go to Drumheller's National Museum, I'll visit the toys section for some dinos, Drumheller is in alberta's badlands, there's even an albertasaurus or two there

You would probably be getting the Schleich models rico's roughnecks, as they are all I have seen that really attempts to be serious about the model's accuracy. Of course even they would be guessing about the real coloring on them, as fossils never sadly "remember" that part of the past creature. Besides the little informative booklet, they also usually include a "professor" model attached with string to show them scaled with a human. They are about 38mm in height (to the eyes), so the models are only just a bit larger if used in SST games than they would have been actually. Of course if the dinos are a bit bigger, that only makes them more imposing :wink: . Oh, since you said that you might be doing a terrain piece with water features, you might want to choose the denser closed-cell styro rather than the white stuff I like to use. It's a tradeoff, you see. I like the 2'x4' presized sections that I buy, and the easier sculpting they allow me as well as being the best material to accept my "pitting" method using acetone. The blue or pink stuff is stronger and more durable. As you've noticed, I increase the durability of my pieces by overcoating with latex paint, sand and "railroad terrain grass". My newest experiment is the use of two-part epoxy spread over the styro, although my acetone system has to be abandoned. The epoxy (really it's floor tile adhesive) is the best "armor" for styro I've found yet, and it doesn't have any effect on the styro material. Good luck on the project!

Say :!: :!: :!: it just hit me I saw a documentary of some museum staff using the fossilized remains to end up making a full scale Deinosuchus for a display at their museum. Do not remember what museum but that is one whopper of a Croc or Gator. Wheeewww, man that thing was impressive with the staff members standing next to it.

Wish I could remember what museum but I only got in at the end of the documentary and never caught the name.

CudaHP said:
Say :!: :!: :!: it just hit me I saw a documentary of some museum staff using the fossilized remains to end up making a full scale Deinosuchus for a display at their museum. Do not remember what museum but that is one whopper of a Croc or Gator. Wheeewww, man that thing was impressive with the staff members standing next to it.

Wish I could remember what museum but I only got in at the end of the documentary and never caught the name.

Maybe I'll "google" the info up and find out where. I do know that they found the skull in Texas, so maybe that's where I'll start looking. A man would probably be a "bite once, then swallow" snack, so the MI should stay away from the water on my terrain :wink: . The board was designed so that after defeating what the MI player sees as the main threat (T.rex), he thinks the rest of the game will be a cakewalk. All he has to do is to get over into the other player's deployment area next to that body of water... :twisted: .

Hmm CudaHP, it looks like your National Geographic "supercroc" was not a Deinosuchus, but a similar-sized one found in the sahara called Sarcosuchus imperator.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/supercroc/

Here is a bit of some info regarding a comparrison between the two. I'd call your "supercroc" that has a narrow jaw more closer to a modern crocodile, while my Deinosuchus is possibly related to the alligator. Either way, you'd still be a "one-bite" snack :shock: :

-----

"Deinosuchus, the subject of much of Schwimmer's research, lived in the Late Cretaceous, which means it's younger than Sarcosuchus. The two species "were not closely related," Schwimmer noted.

The range of Deinosuchus was much of North America. It dwelled from New Jersey to Montana, and was especially common in Texas and Alabama. The first report of the species came in 1858, based on ancient teeth that were discovered in North Carolina, said Schwimmer, who has received research grants from the National Geographic Society.

A number of fairly complete skulls of Deinosuchus have been found, but "we haven't yet put together a full body reconstruction," said Schwimmer. Once that happens, he added, the analysis might show that Deinosuchus was similar in body size or even bigger than Sarcosuchus.

That conjecture is based in part on differences in the snouts of the two species. "Sarcosuchus had a long, narrow snout, so a lot of its length is in the snout," Schwimmer explained. "But Deinosuchus was broad-snouted, built more like an alligator, so a skull of the same length [as Sarcosuchus] would, based on proportional size, be an even bigger animal."

Kristovich said:
What I mean was, there was talk about a Target value of 5+ representing the need for cover. But if a guy is in the open he isn't that hard to kill so I was saying perhaps 2+ Target value and cover raises it about 5+, but darned if I know for sure.

Pretty much exactly what we are doing :)

A 'standard' military-trained human is Target 4+ Kill 6+. Civilians are -1 to both of these, elites +1 to Kill. Cover adds +2 to both Target and Kill. Obscured Line of Sight has a lesser effect.

The effect of this is that infantry are absolute sods to dig out once they dig in.

Which is why the US tends to destory the buildings enemy infantry are dug into.....or for that matter any military in an urban environment. Knock it down, send the infantry to mop up.

msprange said:
A 'standard' military-trained human is Target 4+ Kill 6+. Civilians are -1 to both of these, elites +1 to Kill. Cover adds +2 to both Target and Kill. Obscured Line of Sight has a lesser effect.

The effect of this is that infantry are absolute sods to dig out once they dig in.

Matthew, since BF:Evo is a game using a technology level 5-10 years in the future and will be including current R&D that would be plausible in a few years, how are you handling high-tech active/optical infantry camouflage? Maybe a simple solution would be to just give them a cover bonus on Target, but since it is not ballistic cover (like a pile of rocks is) leave the Kill unmodified? Sorry to prod, but quite a few of us will want this game methinks :wink: .

Oh, and I just found an interesting bit of info on a Boeing aircraft project that is delving into daylight stealth for aircraft. The radar cross-section is like that of a mosquito they say...

http://www.janes.com/aerospace/military/news/idr/idr021127_1_n.shtml

BuShips said:
msprange said:

Matthew, since BF:Evo is a game using a technology level 5-10 years in the future and will be including current R&D that would be plausible in a few years, how are you handling high-tech active/optical infantry camouflage? Maybe a simple solution would be to just give them a cover bonus on Target, but since it is not ballistic cover (like a pile of rocks is) leave the Kill unmodified? Sorry to prod, but quite a few of us will want this game methinks :wink: .

Oh, and I just found an interesting bit of info on a Boeing aircraft project that is delving into daylight stealth for aircraft. The radar cross-section is like that of a mosquito they say...

http://www.janes.com/aerospace/military/news/idr/idr021127_1_n.shtml

Bird of Prey? I always liked Klingons... :wink:

I had been hearing on the news lately (with Iran included in the story contents) that the U.S. had a series of newer bunker-buster bombs that even outweigh the 20,000 lb. GBU-43/B MOAB. It's a 30,000 lb. (13,600 kg) bomb that can penetrate as deep as 200 feet. Well, I'm impressed :shock: .

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/dshtw.htm

This would come in quite handy if you ever do a crossover into SST :lol: .

What about when you place a forum up for BF:Evo you place a sticky topic for placement of anything that might be of help in designing the game's equipment?. And don't act surprised if you get government folks looking over your shoulder as you develop the game. I know Tom Clancy had to keep detailed records in the 1980's to prove that the sources he used were public knowledge and not "leaked" information :roll: .

Sgt. Brassones said:
Bird of Prey? I always liked Klingons... :wink:

Yeah, science is dominating over fiction these days, but fiction has a way of influencing those crazy scientists doesn't it? :lol:

Hiromoon said:
So? Klingons had the style.

what style!? they wear cornish pasties on their heads, wore sparkly trousers in the original series, have never used conditioner in their lives and eat with their fingers! :x

Romulans have style! and Romulans had birds of prey first, damned skulking thieving klingonses, they stole our precious!

A> Klingons arn't the offshoot of the Vulcan race.
B> They arm wrestle with knifes...looser gets his hand stabbed

Hiromoon said:
A> Klingons arn't the offshoot of the Vulcan race.
B> They arm wrestle with knifes...looser gets his hand stabbed

But evil vulcans are cool! Just like an evil Spock!

macho klingons, showing off, a Romulan wouldn't waste the energy, they'd simply stab them in the hand when the pastie-head puts his arm on the table! :wink:

I wish there was a cool Star Trek game available, Federation Commander is too complicated (still!) and not canon

then we could settle this! :twisted:

*watches as Emperorpenguin's romulons suffer engine failures due to extra dimensional beings nesting in them, then destroys them with good old klingon disruptors*

Oops?

:twisted:

Hiromoon said:
*watches as Emperorpenguin's romulons suffer engine failures due to extra dimensional beings nesting in them, then destroys them with good old klingon disruptors*

Oops?

:twisted:

hey that only happened once! :oops:

Back