Spirit range

Jose-san

Mongoose
Core Rulebook said:
Anyone with this skill can, with a successful roll, detect (but not observe) the presence of spirits within a range of their POW in metres.
Core Rulebook said:
Spirits may range up to their owner’s POW in metres.
What does the second paragraph mean exactly?

In my current game (Glorantha) I ruled that the shamán couldn't perceive neither give orders to spirits beyond this range, even though he was the one who invoked them (from his binding fetishes). Can the shaman invoke a spirit and order it to attack a target beyond his range?

Jose-san said:
Core Rulebook said:
Anyone with this skill can, with a successful roll, detect (but not observe) the presence of spirits within a range of their POW in metres.
Core Rulebook said:
Spirits may range up to their owner’s POW in metres.
What does the second paragraph mean exactly?

In my current game (Glorantha) I ruled that the shamán couldn't perceive neither give orders to spirits beyond this range, even though he was the one who invoked them (from his binding fetishes). Can the shaman invoke a spirit and order it to attack a target beyond his range?
We play it that the spirit cannot move beyond POW meters from the shaman while they are under his control or influence. So no, they could not attack beyond this range (unless they are doing it of their own volition).

Ok, thanks! I think I will stick to your interpretation.

It makes spirit magic a very short range magic, compared to common magic (POWx5 in meters), not to mention divine magic or sorcery.

Jose-san said:
Ok, thanks! I think I will stick to your interpretation.

It makes spirit magic a very short range magic, compared to common magic (POWx5 in meters), not to mention divine magic or sorcery.
Yes, our shamans get up very close and personal.

Back