Spinward Marches - Sector 268 question

Chernobyl

Cosmic Mongoose
Just getting into traveller 5, a buddy of mine is starting a campaign. Its going to be set in the spinward marches, so I'm reading through this book...

I came across a base, class "C" on the UWP table for Walston.

Walston 0402 C544338–8 C Lo NI G

What is a "C" base?

Oh, and mongoose, it would have been nice (from my perspective) if you'd used the sector numbering and extended UWP numbers in 4th edition. number of belts aren't in the profile, and the planet coordinates are only subsector, not sector wide.

Probably a minor complaint, 4th edition was my first foray into traveller, followed by gurps.

Chernobyl said:
Probably a minor complaint, 4th edition was my first foray into traveller, followed by gurps.

4th Ed was the biggest failure as far as Trav editions go.

Mongoose Traveller* (MgT) has a class C as a 'Routine' base with berthing costs as 1d6x100, unrefined fuel (100 Cr/ton - Jump risk), small craft (<100 tons) only shipyard, capable of general repair.

Hope that helps (IIRC, the SRD lacks some of this information).

(* not sure if you mean this by 'traveller 5' -> Traveller 5 (T5) being a 'forthcoming' product by FFE)

yeah, well, I call this traveller 5, since T5 has been "forthcoming" for years.
Thanks for the info, its the only "C" base I've come across in the whole of the Spinward Marches.

Chernobyl said:
Thanks for the info, its the only "C" base I've come across in the whole of the Spinward Marches.

? There are 8 Class-C starports listed in District 268 alone...

http://traveller.wikia.com/wiki/District_268_Subsector

Ok, hang on - I see what you're talking about, not the 'C' at the front of the UWP, the one in the trade codes section.

Not sure what the 'C' in this case means, but it might be a misprint, since other sources list an Imperial Scout base on Walston.

The map in MGT* Spinward Marches also shows it as a scout base, so the misprint theory is most likely.

*MGT is the most common acronym for Mongoose Traveller, Chernobyl, you'll find people more easily understand which version you're talking about when you use that. However, this being the Mongoose forum, it's generally accepted that "Traveller" means "Mongoose Traveller".

Chernobyl said:
What is a "C" base?
Could be the ad hoc subsector capital. Maybe somewhere down the line, "C" in the column became "Cap" in the trade suffixes, and everyone overlooked District 268.

Which, when you think about it, is par for the course for District 268.

alex_greene said:

LOL - so true. Maybe it could be considered a "referee opportunity" - some anomaly on the star charts that should be cleared up by the players? :)

hdan said:
alex_greene said:

LOL - so true. Maybe it could be considered a "referee opportunity" - some anomaly on the star charts that should be cleared up by the players? :)

I'd say that as its not been cleared by the proofreaders, its one for the ref to clear up.

Alternately, it could be "C" for "Corsair Base", but thats up to you.

Ok, hang on - I see what you're talking about, not the 'C' at the front of the UWP, the one in the trade codes section.

Not sure what the 'C' in this case means, but it might be a misprint, since other sources list an Imperial Scout base on Walston.

not the trade codes, the base code. typically this is an N, S, or 2. the C threw me off. the scout base theory seems most likely.

Chernobyl said:
not the trade codes, the base code. typically this is an N, S, or 2. the C threw me off. the scout base theory seems most likely.

The Spinward Marches added several base codes (Z, D, B, M, 2) but this does not include a C.

Well, C is indeed supposed to be a Vargr Corsair base
However, looking at the original Spinward Marches, Walston has an S in that column

Thanks everyone. I've updated my database to indicate it is an "S", or Scout Base.
If anyone is interested, there are 439 systems in the Spinward Marches...

Back