Space Terrain - How do you use yours?

Space Terrain - How do you use yours?

• Option A - Templates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option B - Individual models - Base size blocks LOS

• Option C - Individual models - Centre point of base stem blocks LOS

• Option D - Asteroids (and/or Gas Clouds) DON'T block LOS!

• Total voters
Burn him at the stake!!!! Hang-draw and quarter him!! keel Haul him! Cut out his heart with a spoon!!! feed his liver to the sharks!!!!

Wulf Corbett said:
Cap'n Silvereye said:
Cinematically, an asteroid field is a dense collection of floating rocks. It means that the viewer knows what is going on. What the Millenium Falcon flew into was more likely a rubble field from a stellar collision or a planetary ring.
Looked like a duck, waddled like a duck, quacked like a duck...

Wulf

So it was a witch then?

:lol:

LBH

a) Templates is the obvious choice. But since many tournaments don't have templates, there should be a secondary option of what to do when there is no template.

I thought the generally accepted rule, was that the field is considered to be the outer bounding of the stems of the models, as shown:

exampleterrainav2.jpg

Any ship with its stem or centre point inside this polygon, would be considered "inside the asteroid field", just as if there were a template. If any part of the polygon blocks LOS, then the shot cannot be made.

Its a bit daft to use base size for the asteroids, and just ridiculous to use stems. What, this asteroid field which is many thousands of miles across, only has a few rocks which block LOS? The models are just to represent that there is an asteroid field there, they do not comprise the entire rock matter within it...

This could never happen, since the Hyperion has passed into the asteroid field (it is past the yellow line):
hyperionab4.jpg

To those who voted base or stem blocks LOS: so when do you have to make a collision role, on entering the asteroid field? When you overlap the base or stem of a model???

Burger said:
I thought the generally accepted rule, was that the field is considered to be the outer bounding of the stems of the models, as shown:
The problem with this is when a ship moves into the asteroid field. Then you may well have to move the asteroids, and change the shape of the field...

I'll stick to flat representations. I have them all just fine in Word (at 32 Mb!), but when I make them into a PDF (only 2 Mb...) they shrink - a 5" planet becomes 4.8" for whatever reason, and everything else proportianately.

Wulf

I'm talking about at a tournament, where the terrain is pre-set. There are no templates. What then?

I prefer templates.

Otherwise asteroid fields would become kinda useless. How many of those models do we need to actually block LOS? Crap another 50 to paint.

We only use 3-4 to mark the other area, otherwise we leave it empty. Less pushing stuff around, and easy to understand. Otherwise we would only have a single roidfield on the table.....and around here we love terrain.

prelude_to_war said:
Burger said:
I'm talking about at a tournament, where the terrain is pre-set. There are no templates. What then?
Tournaments around here have always used templates to avoid ambiguities.
Argh! Am I saying something not clearly here? I'm talking about tournaments that DON'T provide templates. I agree templates shold always be used, but if the organizer doesn't use them, what happens?

Burger said:
To those who voted base or stem blocks LOS: so when do you have to make a collision role, on entering the asteroid field? When you overlap the base or stem of a model???

I DID vote base (or stem, I honestly can´t remember at the moment! :oops: ), but what I meant was that everything within that area described by the bases (or stems... :roll: ) was meant to be within the asteroid field.

As others have said before, it´s a field, read: an area, and not just a collection of single rocks happily flying around each other...

Burger said:
prelude_to_war said:
Burger said:
Tournaments around here have always used templates to avoid ambiguities.
Argh! Am I saying something not clearly here? I'm talking about tournaments that DON'T provide templates. I agree templates shold always be used, but if the organizer doesn't use them, what happens?
Please remain calm! My point is any tournament organizer who doesn't use templates could be asking for complications.

That said, if they don't provide templates, a pro-active player could just cut some out of paper to create boundaries for terrain - assuming no one has any objections. Then bring them with him to the next round :)

Back