Sons of Cimmeria, Sons of Glorantha?

Alright Mongoose.

I've spent a lot of money with you over the years, including everything ever published for OGL Conan.

Remember when the first printing of the $50.00 Conan corebook was shipped with all those errors? You guys stood up, admitted you goofed, took the hit and went to some considerable lengths to make things right.

Well, it happened again. I suspect that with the rush to get RQ to print, and the "eleventh hour" changes that have been alluded to in several threads-including from Mr. Sprange himself-have resulted in a RQ corebook-not a supplement, but the corebook-that has some serious flaws in it. I could live with the halving rule-there are plenty of ways to houserule that, assuming that your characters even survive to have +100% skills. But the combat matrix...even with the pdf, it gives me a headache to try to muddle through combat.

C'mon guys. You earned a fair amount of streetcred with the Conan situation. Don't let us RQ'ers down. The RQ line has a LOT of promise-you don't want to squander that with a nerfed corebook, do you?

I'm only suggesting this because I want RQ to succeed, as do a lot of people. Theres a damn good game in there.

Release a corrected second printing, and give us poor schmoes who bought the first corebook a break.

I'll second this request... You guys do have a quality rep... Me, I've got Dredd, not Conan...

And I purchased through DTRPG, so a revised edition would be easily handled there...

I have to disagree with you. The only real problems the book has is a combat example that is clearly wrong and a lack of support material to get yourgame up and running. Everything else that is being complained about on this board is different gamers view on how the game should have been designed. That in no way means that Mongoose put together a low quality product. Granted a few more examples (correct ones) spread through out the book to help clear up some of the more complex points would have been helpful.

As for the combat chart that everyone is complaining about Mr. Sprange mentioned that the Attack fails row was included for completeness. Depending on your play styly you may decide that you want to call reactions before the dice are rolled, at which point this row is needed.

I have run several games since this came out and over all the game played rather well. Not having played the earlier versions of Runequest I have to judge MRQ on its own merits. Is the game perfect of course not, do the long time games on this forum have some good ideas on how it can be better, they do and I plan on using several of them. Keep in mind that just because you can suggest ways that it could be better does not the the original is flawed.

Sorry about the rant but it gets very frustrating hearing everyone cry about how this system is broken and in the same thread talk about how you havnt actually played the game yet. Everytime someone has posted about a game they actually played the say that is seems to play well. Hold on you flamming Mongoose until you have played a game or two and have an issue that you feel is really broken.

Wow, zotzz, you seriously missed my intent.

I WANT MRQ to succeed-I know that in there is a great RPG.

But, much like Conan, Mongoose has released a corebook-again, not a supplement, but a COREBOOK-that, by their own admission, contained grievous and confusing errors.

Honestly, the halving rule is something I can live with, especially since alternate systems are coming down the pipeline with the Legendary Heroes book.

But the problems with the combat matrix? Considering how central combat is to the game (any RPG, really), this is absolutely unacceptable; not only that, its unprofessional and shoddy. If I were to commit a comparable error at my job, I'd be terminated.

Don't mistake my intent: I am a huge fan of Mongoose's OGL Conan and Paranoia lines, and have bought everything they have released for it. The initial print run on the Conan corebook had some serious issues as well, and Mongoose, in an admirable show of professionalism, corrected the mistake, released a second edition of the corebook which cleaned up the mistake, and took several steps to compensate customers who had already purchased the flawed corebook. I'm only asking that Mongoose live up to the high standards that they have already set for themselves.

The game itself is NOT broken, and I never stated as such. But the corebook has some serious problems that are well-documented elswhere. These problems need to be addressed.

My post came off a long stronger then I intended. Thats the down side of trying to post while being mauled by a two year old. :oops:

My point was that this forum seems to be filled with poeple complaining about how broken things are when they havnt even tried the rules out in a game. I admit that there are many places where improvments can be made and there have been some very inovative solutions proposed on this board. Since I do not come from a RuneQuest background I am looking at this system and its potential as an exciting rule system rather then how it differs from what was released 20 years ago. I for one am convinced that if the games of our past where released today they would get ripped apart just as bad in web forums.

I personally watch this forum for the interesting ideas other gamers are sudgesting in hopes of finding rules changes that will improve my on campaign. :)

invictus said
[/quote]But the problems with the combat matrix? Considering how central combat is to the game (any RPG, really), this is absolutely unacceptable; not only that, its unprofessional and shoddy. If I were to commit a comparable error at my job, I'd be terminated.
I read on some forum somewhere that mongoose ignored playtesters who told them a lot of the things in the system were bollocks. And didn't pay attention to cleverer peolple with better ideas.....ho hum....serves them right

Actually there are some other problems/errors in the book and it isn't all just differert opinions on how things should have been done, although that is a significant percentage of the threads.

For example, the write up for the Speedart spell is non-functional. It effects are tied to magnitude, but the spell is not progessive, so you can't adjust it's magintue. In addtion the spell lacks any duration so in theory you could cast it on all your missle weapons and stock up for years.

I think part of this stems from the fact that the experienced RQ players know how the system (RQ) works and see what direction certain changes are heading towards. That gives them a bit of a head start on seeing how some things will play out.

Zotzz said:
My post came off a long stronger then I intended. Thats the down side of trying to post while being mauled by a two year old. :oops:

Hey, those two year olds are BRUTAL...

No sweat. I get pretty passionate about RQ too-and I meant it, I want it to do well. :D

Yeah, 2YO's are seriously dangerous to one's sanity and health. There's a reason that SJ and HT listed them as "Nuisance Creatures.";) Now to keep mine from coloring in the books again.

Back