Some questions on character creation

Grummore

Mongoose
Some questions:

When you choose to go for a Pre-Career education, if you fail:
  • Does it count as a term?
    Do you raise your age?

Because it takes time to go through university, success or not.

AND

If you fail a term at survival, it’s unclear (to me) if you gain anything from it. If you succeed in a term, it takes 4 years.
BUT, if you fail a term:
  • Does it take 4 years?
    Do you gain anything? (even if you do not succeed, usually, in 4 years, you don’t get out without any form of knowledge)
    Does it count for a term? (if it takes 4 years probably, but we need to gain something… no?)
    Does it count for a term? (if it doesn’t take 4 years, how do we proceed?)

Thanks!

Grummore said:
When you choose to go for a Pre-Career education, if you fail:
  • Does it count as a term?
    Do you raise your age?
Yes, and Yes.

Grummore said:
If you fail a term at survival, it’s unclear (to me) if you gain anything from it. If you succeed in a term, it takes 4 years.
BUT, if you fail a term:
  • Does it take 4 years?
    Do you gain anything? (even if you do not succeed, usually, in 4 years, you don’t get out without any form of knowledge)
    Does it count for a term? (if it takes 4 years probably, but we need to gain something… no?)
    Does it count for a term? (if it doesn’t take 4 years, how do we proceed?)
I believe you leave immediately, gain nothing, and it takes the standard four years.
Core said:
Survival
Each career has a survival roll. If you fail this roll, you must then roll on the Mishap Table. This mishap will force you to leave the career immediately unless otherwise stated. You will also lose the Benefit roll for the current term. A natural 2 on the survival roll is always a failure.
Core said:
Each career term lasts for four years, even if a Traveller fails a Survival roll or is forced to leave a career.

Per the character creation flow chart, the Survival check comes after you have gained basic training or your first skill roll. In pre-career education, the Graduation check comes after you have gained skills and rolled for an event. The skills learned and the results of the pre-career event are yours to keep.

Back