Some questions for Vincent

thulsa

Mongoose
1. Tito's Trading Post lists the requirements for Acheronian Black Globe at Craft (alchemy) 25 ranks, Acheronian Grave Dust at 30 ranks, and Archeronian Guardian Orb at 25 ranks. Are these requirements correct, or are they typos?

2. In Stygia - Serpent of the South, there is no listed cost or requirements for Stygian Wind Venom. What should they be?

3. In Stygia - Serpent of the South, the description of the Serpent Mark of Set on page 78 seems to end in mid-sentence: "... and functions as the sorcery feat" (text ends). What should it say?

- thulsa

thulsa said:
1. Tito's Trading Post lists the requirements for Acheronian Black Globe at Craft (alchemy) 25 ranks, Acheronian Grave Dust at 30 ranks, and Archeronian Guardian Orb at 25 ranks. Are these requirements correct, or are they typos?

I took those from Free Companies (page 84), so I presume they are correct.

thulsa said:
2. In Stygia - Serpent of the South, there is no listed cost or requirements for Stygian Wind Venom. What should they be?

The same as in Free Companies (page 84, again). I am sorry I can't get more specific, but the only part of Free Companies that I wrote was the final chapter (the multi-classing chapter), so I know about as much about those items as you do.

thulsa said:
3. In Stygia - Serpent of the South, the description of the Serpent Mark of Set on page 78 seems to end in mid-sentence: "... and functions as the sorcery feat" (text ends). What should it say?

Sorcerer's Boon.

VincentDarlage said:
thulsa said:

I took those from Free Companies (page 84), so I presume they are correct.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems you confused the Craft check DCs to create the item with prerequisite ranks, because page 84 of Free Companies just lists the DCs to craft these items (and fails to list the cost and prerequisites). But you have a cost listed; did you just make that up?

- thulsa

thulsa said:
It seems you confused the Craft check DCs to create the item with prerequisite ranks, because page 84 of Free Companies just lists the DCs to craft these items (and fails to list the cost and prerequisites). But you have a cost listed; did you just make that up?

- thulsa

No, I didn't just make them up; I used the rules in Ian Sturrock listed in Scrolls of Skelos to calculate the costs, but apparently I did get confused between the Craft checks and prerequisite ranks. I guess you would need at least 5 ranks in Craft (alchemy) for the DC 25 items and 10 ranks in Craft (alchemy) for the DC 30 item.

Hi, Vincent.

I have bought Stygia last week, and I must say, very good book.

Stygia was always a very dark and forbidden land for me, and now it has become very interesting to me.

I also like the ideas of the mysteries.

But I have some questions for you about these:

1. Knowledge (Mystery: God): If the character wants to learn a mystery of a god, does he has to be a scholar with the background lay priest, or could any stygian character with enough ranks in this skill learn mysteries?

2. Knowledge (Mystery: God) again: The description says: the character must retain purity (keep his body shaved of all hair and wear only white linen or silks) in order to retain the benefits of the mystery. This works fine for most male priests, especially the priests of Set, but what about female priests, especially a priestess of Derketo (here the word purity seems almost like a joke)?

3, Will there be any new mysteries in Faith & Fervour? And what gods/pantheons will there be? All known? Hyborian/Shemitish gods only?

Sven said:
1. Knowledge (Mystery: God): If the character wants to learn a mystery of a god, does he has to be a scholar with the background lay priest, or could any stygian character with enough ranks in this skill learn mysteries?

Any Stygian with enough ranks. Because of the Phyle system, any character can be exposed to the mysteries regardless of character class.

Sven said:
2. Knowledge (Mystery: God) again: The description says: the character must retain purity (keep his body shaved of all hair and wear only white linen or silks) in order to retain the benefits of the mystery. This works fine for most male priests, especially the priests of Set, but what about female priests, especially a priestess of Derketo (here the word purity seems almost like a joke)?

Why would keeping the body shaved and wearing white be a joke for female priests? The goddess still deserves respect. Unfortunately, one section that was edited from the book discusses this aspect of Stygian cleanliness. Here is the section that was edited out of the book:

Stygian Hairstyles said:
As children, Stygian boys have most of their hair shaved save for a single side lock of hair that is braided and never cut until they come of age, when both the hair and their foreskin is cut off. The young girls wear their hair short except for the traditional side lock.

As adults, Stygians despise facial and body hair. As part of their decadent pride in appearances, wanting to be spotlessly clean, they carefully remove all facial and bodily hair. A smooth and hairless body is the Stygian standard of beauty. Pubic hair is considered ugly and the sign of uncleanliness and poverty. The extremely poor usually do not bother to remove hair. Thus, facial and bodily hair is looked down upon as being a ‘foreign’ or lower-class look. In addition to facial and bodily hair, many Stygians even shave their head to prevent head-lice, preferring to wear wigs instead. The wigs aid in cleanliness and in keeping the head cool from the hot Stygian sun. Facial and body hair is removed via shaving, depilatories and sugaring (sugaring is similar to waxing, only it is done with a mixture of honey and oil). The exception to hair removal lies in periods of mourning. Hair, facial and body, are grown during periods of mourning.

The hair on top of their heads is treated a flexible means of self-expression and the Stygians use that means to its fullest extent, considering their hair as an ultimate form of art with endless potential. They dye their hair, braid their hair, shave their hair and even weave charms into their hair. For those who use wigs, the same principles apply. Hair fashion is a big industry in Stygia. Hair-styles, whether natural or wigs, are often quite elaborate. Even Stygians who retain their natural hair wear wigs for variety and ornamentation and even for luxurious extension. Wigs and extensions are always made from natural hair. Wig-makers collect the hair from the customer for use in that customer’s wig or they trade or buy it from others. Women’s wigs tend to be less elaborate than men’s wigs, although there are exceptions. Braids are the most common form of hair extension. Headdresses are also worn to emphasis their hair, including scented cones that melt and cascade over the wig during particularly festive evenings.

In addition to their hate of body hair, the black-hearted Stygians also do not look upon grey hair with favour. They will go to great lengths to eliminate it – and will even order their hair dyed upon death. Henna is often used to dye the hair.

Despite the animosity Stygians seem to display toward beards, their gods and their kings often are shown with a type of beard – a long tuft like a braided pigtail with the end jutting forward. This is considered divine and the kings of Stygia express their status as living gods by appearing in public with a false beard of this sort. These beards always represent divine natures and this style is expressly forbidden to commoners.

Stygia’s obsession with hair removal is not only a hygiene issue but a political issue. Although Shemites often pluck pubic hair with tweezers, their men are almost always bearded. Stygian art usually depicts their enemies as bearded. To wear a beard is, to a Stygian, the same as appearing as a Shemite, or a foreign enemy. Stygians tend to be xenophobic and do not want to appear as their next-door national neighbours appear.

As you can see, the priestesses of Derketo will wear wigs in order to appear beautiful - but maintain the purity aspect in order to honour their goddess.

Sven said:
3, Will there be any new mysteries in Faith & Fervour? And what gods/pantheons will there be? All known? Hyborian/Shemitish gods only?

Yes, there are new mysteries in Faith & Fervour. All the gods and pantheons I could think of are represented, but only the mystery religions will have mysteries. The religion of Mitra is a mystery religion, so I gave him mysteries.

The Shemite religion is greatly expanded, but I did not give them mysteries, although there is nothing stopping a GM from developing them.

Thanks for the info on Stygian hair (or rather lack thereof).
Now that I think of it, I do remember seeing old art or sculpture of the Hittites (frequent enemies of the Egyptians) with huge, wooly beards.
I wonder if REH included any culture in Hyboria that would resemble the Hittites? Making them Shemite just doesn't sound right...

At my local store they still don't have the book available, it's weird cause I already bought Tito's in the same store.

Yes, there are new mysteries in Faith & Fervour. All the gods and pantheons I could think of are represented, but only the mystery religions will have mysteries. The religion of Mitra is a mystery religion, so I gave him mysteries.

Which religions have mysteries ?

Mad Dog

Vincent, the section on Stygian Hairstyles was quite helpful. Would it be possible for you to make available other sections omitted from the books for space-related reasons? Something similar to WotC's sourcebook web enhancements or even more posts here would be nice. It seems a waste to let the material go unseen, and many GMs would appreciate the extra detail.

Ashigaru said:
Vincent, the section on Stygian Hairstyles was quite helpful. Would it be possible for you to make available other sections omitted from the books for space-related reasons? Something similar to WotC's sourcebook web enhancements or even more posts here would be nice. It seems a waste to let the material go unseen, and many GMs would appreciate the extra detail.

Well, I usually don't have entire sections edited out like I did for Stygia. I have submitted most of it to S&P, so maybe they will publish it (I wrote Stygia to be as long as Aquilonia). This month S&P did publish the spells that were edited out. Maybe the rest will show up.

I only threw that bit in because it directly answered a question someone had about the book.

Back