Some critical words about the companion preview

andakitty said:
I wish some of the people who actually played the game at demos at the Mongoose open house and Continuum would be a little more forthcoming with what they experienced. There is a thread at rpg.net right now that fills in a little, but not much.

Like!?! What did the fill in at rpg.net? Cough it up 'kitty. RQ addicts want to know! :)

I suspect the reason why we haven't heard much from the people who played the demos has something to do with just how many people actually played RQ, and then how many of them are users on this forum. Probably not that many. I think we got one or two people, and I'm not sure if they are familar enough with RQ2/3 to notice the differences.

Either than or they are too busy playing the game! :D

Several people who played posted...not much. Out of several all except one thought it was OK to good, one not impressed. Hop on over and have a look. Descriptions of RQ Monsters and Legendary Heroes are up here, as well.

Hissss. I'll have you know I don't do hairballs. Human. :p

From what I've seen so far, it might as well be a new system

Well it is, but based off a mix of the old it sounds like. Not really enough info to compare exactly yet. But it sounds like it's familiar.

If MRQ turns out to be bad and successful, it will cut the remaining 20% down to even less.

I don't buy it. If the old systems were head and shoulders above MRQ, you can get people to play. If not, it also proves my point that most people will focus on the story rather than the mechanic unless the system is really bad.

There is also a question of what seems right to players too. For example, if we changed dagger damage to 2D20 in MRQ there would be lots of repucussion in game.

Did anything really change THAT much, really? Sounds like a dagger is still basically a dagger.

As to the issue of the problem of elf looks, the problem is that few things can ruin the verisimilitude of a setting than retconning. Why buy a GLorantha book and learn about the setting if it is all going to be retconned anyway. If Greg didn't want pretty elves with pointed ears in Glorantha he shouldn't have allowed them to be drawn that way for over a decade.

Truth be told, in most groups, one player, usually the DM, buys the books. He's also the guy setting the stage. If he wants pointy ears on the elf, they are pointy. Period. If a player see the picture and says "the don't have pointy ears in the book", the retort from the DM is, they do here. Still mystified.

I wish some of the people who actually played the game at demos at the Mongoose open house and Continuum would be a little more forthcoming with what they experienced. There is a thread at rpg.net right now that fills in a little, but not much.

How about a link Kitty?

Back