So, what's with the supplements?

I'm tackling K'Kree right now. Do you have any idea how hard that is? It's not just all the mass they have... they're QUADRUPEDS! Every time I try a tackle I just end up hanging off a bemused K'Kree while he trundles down the pitch with two dozen of this mates. Fortunately they're rubbish at conversion kicks....

While I would love lots of fully detailed alien books it is worth remembering that all the classic traveller alien books could be fitted into one 200-300 page book with a lot of space left over for minor races.

And I would much rather see one Alien compendium book with enough detail to create characters and NPCs that can be integrated into normal adventures rather than wait 3, 4, 5 or whatever years to see multiple volumes slowly come out.

RogerMc said:
... I would much rather see one Alien compendium book with enough detail to create characters and NPCs that can be integrated into normal adventures rather than wait 3, 4, 5 or whatever years to see multiple volumes slowly come out.

I so agree. So much of the work is done, and even splitting it into two volumes (Spinward and Trailing?) would be great.

msprange said:
NOLATrav said:
I so agree. So much of the work is done, and even splitting it into two volumes (Spinward and Trailing?) would be great.

Oh, you are on our wavelength...

So now I am even more eager to see the State of Mongoose message. Forget Christmas and New Years , let's get to the good stuff! (Just kidding. A bit. . .)

qstor said:
paltrysum said:
Plus, if you do K'kree, maybe we'll get a sector in that region. I know Martin has stated that someone invalidated his Gateway region (which publication did this?)

I think Martin means this one:

Luriani

Firstly sorry for the thread necromancy, my personal life has been to say the least complicated for the past few years. Secondly I'm the author of Luriani. Thirdly I have the greatest respect for Martin's skill as a writer and ability as a story teller.

To clarify, Luriani did not invalidate the vast bulk of Martin's Gateway material. But sadly GtD had created some irreconcilable canon conflicts with earlier material in relation to the Luriani (with the best will in the world these things happen when you're dealing with a shared universe of the complexity of the 3rd Imperium). After some discussion a compromise solution was developed in an attempt to preserve the feel of both sources. Sadly this was unavoidable, something had to give. What Luriani did overwrite was Martin's explanation for the Luriani Year of Woe (the Year of Woe however was retained pretty much as presented in GtD and even expanded upon). However the change was deliberately done in the form of "secret knowledge" to allow individual GMs to retain the Homecoming material in their games if they wished. I won't go into why this was done, but it was not done lightly and only after consultation with Marc.

I must admit I have never been very keen on any of the Traveller aliens, they are all fairly unimaginative.

As for new books I would love to see in V2 format:

Soldier Book (Army/Merc/Marine Units, Large Battle System as background for characters to play a personal game inside/Ship Boarding rules/Miniature Combat rules/Combat Vehicles and Equipment)
Robotics/Cybernetics (robot types, when robots turn bad, robot creation rules, cybernetic surgery)
Alien Worlds book (detailed flora and fauna creation, planet building ideas/tables, encounter rules/tables, sample animal/flora/events to choose from, starport creation, detailed trading rules/planetside activities, rules about finance/banks, typical planetside organisations and places to visit etc, planetary law and administration, etc etc)

I don't actually think an updated Merchant Prince needs to be a priority, but it'd also be nice if -- it isn't to be a priority -- that "Making A Living Sidebar" on Pg. 210 of the 2e Core Rulebook didn't seem to indicate that another Merchant Prince was coming soon enough in the near future to make it worth mentioning by name.

Juums said:
I don't actually think an updated Merchant Prince needs to be a priority, but it'd also be nice if -- it isn't to be a priority -- that "Making A Living Sidebar" on Pg. 210 of the 2e Core Rulebook didn't seem to indicate that another Merchant Prince was coming soon enough in the near future to make it worth mentioning by name.
The road to disappointed customers is paved with good intentions.

Back