Sneak attack dice

Voltumna

Mongoose
Let's say there's a character that has 6 levels of pirate, so he has +2d6 for his sneak attacks. At 7th character level he takes the first level of thief, so he gains an additional +1d6 for all sneak attacks and +1d8 for his sneak attack style. He now has a total of +3d for sneak attacks, the question is: when using he sneak attack style weapon, does he deal +3d8 extra damage? Or +2d6+1d8?

Thanks,

Atlantean Edition, p64:

... if the thief has Sneak Attack ... from another class, the sneak attack style increased damage only applies to the damage from the Sneak Attack class feature acquired by taking thief levels.

Interesting.

I'd say Zingaran sneak attack dice still can't be upgraded to d8s, since the Sneak Attack Style description specifically states "..only applies to damage from the Sneak Attack class feature acquired by taking Thief levels".

SableWyvern said:
Interesting.

I'd say Zingaran sneak attack dice still can't be upgraded to d8s, since the Sneak Attack Style description specifically states "..only applies to damage from the Sneak Attack class feature acquired by taking Thief levels".
Yeah, that sounds right. I only noticed that because a new player is making a Zingaran pirate and I was checking his sheet against the AE book last night while I looked at the forums here.

Their description (p37 bottom AE) only says it is treated exactly like the thief ability, and it doesn't mention if it's an extraordinary ability, but since you progress in character levels in Conan and NOT in race levels, I'd say it's a +1d6 dmg - although to point out again it DOES stack with any other sneak attack abilities, say from having multiple theif levels. From that it's a d6 no matter what you're using to sneak attack with.

Ah, those sneaky Zingarans. :lol:

Tiberias of Aquilonia said:
Nice Avatar Bregales!

As for the sneak attack damage... only 1d6 is upgraded to a d8.

Yep. Thanks dude, the avatar is Dean, btw, from what was an excellent comic strip. Sneak attacks are different in Conan because while racial bonuses (Zingaran +1d6) can stack with any other sneak attack bonuses, this particular one is non-upgradable I'm pretty sure (since I'm responding from work, on 5 minutes left of my lunch break-meaning racial +1d6 is a +1d6 regardless of weapon or circumstances). Character class sneak attacks, however, are upgradable depending on weapon used, etc, and stacks with any other specialties race/class/situations allow, so you could end up doing an incredible whallop of damage to someone under the right circumstances! :twisted:

Back