Slaine Reborn?

I just ran a very successful session of Slaine using Green Ronin's Dragon Age mechanic with d20 Slaine elements tacked on. It was a real joy.

I find D20 too much crunchy and I generally don't like the style of play it is derived from this kind of system. I can enjoy a game session now and then but I avoid it if I can.

On the other hand, I know this has prevented me from enjoying some of the settings that have been published under D20.

I'll wait for the reedition of Sláine, under the RQ system, or maybe I'll start a conversion to another system like Heroquest or Solar System.

For me I think it would be nice to see a new version of Slaine to include the Rules for RQII as a part of the book personally. Not really interested in purchasing a whole new line when I barely get a chance to get previous RQ on the table.

My main problem with RQ for Slaine is that I can't really see it working for the over the top kill-hundreds-of-foes-and-a-bunch-of-fomorian-lords-before-lunch style of Slaine. D20 worked better for this but less well in other respects. One thing to consider might be one of the low powered superhero systems or (hint, hint) Savage Worlds.

When I can be bothered to do this. I will have a go at converting DTwenty Slaine to Palladium: Rifts.

I guess that may be hard to match up.

You might guess my reason for choosing the DTwenty version.

Well, I still think those rules were better mechcanically, and more thorough with those memorable battle skills named Sundered Heads and Piles of Corpses.

Any chance of anybody here emailing me all the submissons relating to Slaine in the Signs & Portents before it became a free download.

Please:)

Use this address here.

mickpthart@gmail.com

I'll thank you in advance.

Thank You:)

I really hope that it hasn't made the schedule for this year Tal. :shock: Why? Well thats because I would prefer Mongoose to think out a proper strategy for a new version.
If they shoehorn it into this year its gonna be a token effort, to fill an available niche in the schedule and just a cut n'paste of what has been printed twice already. :( Slaine and its players(past, present and future) deserve better.
My previous posts refer...........

personaly, i tire of all this talk of plans and tactics, it smells of Fir Domain, i'm off to grab my axe and sort this out the Sessair way

I'd consider buying it if the rules were part of the main book. I apperantly missed out on RQ1 Slaine & from what I heard in this thread I think I'm glad too. I have two of the D20 Slaine books & will convert to Microlite20 or Castle & Crusades unless a quality all in one RQ@ Slaine book is published.

Standing-Stone said:
When I can be bothered to do this. I will have a go at converting DTwenty Slaine to Palladium: Rifts.

Well, I still think those rules were better mechcanically, and more thorough with those memorable battle skills named Sundered Heads and Piles of Corpses.

Why not just convert to Palladium Fantasy instead of RIFTS. I love RIFTS but Palladium Fantasy would be a better fit ... being fantasy n' all.

I'm for whatever gets the Horned Lord campaign re-released. I was looking forward to the d20 re-release of the campaign, but it never happened. So, free PDF downloads would be great; and a collected book would be okay.

Lucifer_Drake said:
Standing-Stone said:

Why not just convert to Palladium Fantasy instead of RIFTS. I love RIFTS but Palladium Fantasy would be a better fit ... being fantasy n' all.

I guess I was thinking of that when I said Rifts, not that I have access to the actual Palladium Fantasy rules myself. Unless you can count the two non descript Rifts conversions manuals filled with a plethroa of futuretech/fantacy class's and races as well as NightBane, Robotech, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & other Strangeness, Heros Unlimited and a few other source books I haven't pulled out yet.

Nothing directly connected to the book you mentioned, but if I was to attempt this, then I guess I would be making the same leap in rules conversion anyway.

So far I have had fun matching the up Skullswords with those Coalition Grunts wearing those skull shaped helmets. Of course, this is all futuretech and I was only visualising a comparison betwent them & their iron age counterparts.

Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't know when to start if I was given the opportunity to do this myself;)

I doubt I would get far, not without using what I learnt through the Dtwenty version.

Quoting Scourger.....

I'm for whatever gets the Horned Lord campaign re-released. I was looking forward to the d20 re-release of the campaign, but it never happened. So, free PDF downloads would be great; and a collected book would be okay.

I never knew that they ever planned to re-release all those Dtwenty books again. Mind you, I was still collecting those whenn they had already stopped selling them here on this site. I only completed the collection of those books by going through EBAY and a local bookstore.

I think at this point we will have to play the wait and see on any new Slaine material. I wonder how well Slaine did and if maybe that is what is causing hesitation or causing Slaine to be put on the back burner of projects.

I dunno, I thought that D20 Slaine was well produced and sold fairly well( I may be wrong). MRQ Slaine was an altogether more lacklustre affair. Cacc handed to put a Gaelic spin on it.
I still maintain that Slaine would sell if more than a token effort was made. Perhaps we need to wait and be sure that the Conan license is definately gone. Perhaps theres only room for one Barbarian King on the MRQ2 block. :roll:

Although reissues of old books really annoys me, I can definately understand why the Horned God campaign would be a big draw to noobies.
It is, without a doubt, the very best campaign I have had the pleasure to play in more than 20 yrs of gaming.
I still maintain that it could be released in PDF form for MRQ2 and some new stuff produced for the old Slaine players.
I note that a very special author is making some of his unprinted work for another setting available through contacting him directly by private message. Others have provided errata for various settings through the same medium. Mongoose Acolyte, If Baileoisin is never destined to see the light of day in an official form, a similar gesture would be a fantastic gift to the ardent supporters of your efforts to keep Slaine alive. 8)
What do you think? :wink: :)

Back