Size/scale of air assets?

maybe leave wing air craft out completely till next year and just have helicopters for now and push more ground units forward.

AA weapons would retain their use, and it would feel better and maybe in the mean time they could playtest the air assets better.

id rather have FAVs on the table than air craft, but if people use aircraft then obvously id need some counter air power to keep an evan feild.

ok this is for air craft size and not helicopters

ok :D

today i picked up a 1/100 scale F15 as a good example to use.

here are some pics of it with bf evo minis on a 4 1/2" high flying stand of my daughters.

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

as you can see evan at 1/100 scale its darn big !!! but dosnt look out of place.

If someone already mention this, then forgive me.....remember, air models don't HAVE TO be used for air support.....especially in this scale.....they can also be crashed for terrain or as objectives...In the Falklands, the British landed special forces to use small arms to shoot up Argentine aircraft based on the islands.

Also, they could just be used to extract people...for example... a evacuate the embassy scenario such as what happed in Somalia.

Ghost6 said:
If someone already mention this, then forgive me.....remember, air models don't HAVE TO be used for air support.....especially in this scale.....they can also be crashed for terrain or as objectives...In the Falklands, the British landed special forces to use small arms to shoot up Argentine aircraft based on the islands.

Also, they could just be used to extract people...for example... a evacuate the embassy scenario such as what happed in Somalia.
Precisely the reason I'd like to see them to scale. I'd like to do an airfield or rescue mission or two.

That and big scary targets can impose fear/distract opponents into attacking less important assets....

On the otherhand, depending on the aircraft rules, there isn't much need of the models for them to only be on the board sporadically during flybys.

I dunno... I'm too torn to commit.

Regarding aircraft...I'll buy whatever mongoose releases. :D

I do like that 1/100 scale craft on the table. The base will be smaller than 1/64 scale and that will cause fewer problems with the aircraft staying on the table during a game. If they do stay on the table.

Evil, that F15 looks really good, and here I was a scale purist. I'd be happy with 1:100 if that is what Mongoose decided to go with. I think I'd prefer a slightly larger scale, but 1:100 would work just fine. I wonder if 1:72 would be a compromise? Helos would look a little too small when they landed next to infantry and fixed wings look a little too big seeing as they're HUGE irl?

like i said a many times helis need to be kept in scale with minis as the future lynx can carry troops as well as operat as a gun ship. so helis would be capable of landing. so would need to be in scale.

its just aircraft (ones with wings) are massive realy massive.

That's true, Evil. I was going with all aircraft in the same scale so that they would not look strange next to one another. I would not be happy with 1/64 helo's and 1/100 fixed wings. In theory anyway. Actually, let's settle this. Anyone out there want to put a 1/64 helo next to a 1/100 fixed wing and sprinkle in some actual BF:Evo models so we can see how it looks?

Only aircraft that land need to be in troop scale, big fixed wings that probably won't can be any size, they're just 'higher up' than they look on the table :lol:

LBH

Mr Evil said:
like i said a many times helis need to be kept in scale with minis as the future lynx can carry troops as well as operat as a gun ship. so helis would be capable of landing. so would need to be in scale.

its just aircraft (ones with wings) are massive realy massive.

Yes I agree. There is also a difference between the way in which helicopters and aircraft are employed in CAS. Aircraft will usually have a longer standoff range or be hitting predetermined targets or from such height/range that the AA assets available at this point will not be able to affect them. At the moment I can't quite see an F-35 or Typhoon coming in that close.

I have an A-10, Cobra and Commache in scale lurking around somewhere. I'll see that I try and get some pictures up next week.

lastbesthope said:
Only aircraft that land need to be in troop scale, big fixed wings that probably won't can be any size, they're just 'higher up' than they look on the table :lol:

LBH

Or strung up from the celling.

ok picy time.

ps toast was good

little man and tank by mongoose @1:65

aircraft is a F-15 eagle @1:100

helicopters are a little bird and a appache by corgi @ 1:64 scale

DSCF0022-2.jpg

DSCF0020-2.jpg

DSCF0019-2.jpg

Thanks for the pics Evil, those are some nice models you have there. I'm particularly fond of the white AFV creeping up on the flank of the Abrams. :D

Unfortunatly this confirms what I was thinking, the F15 and Apache look way out of scale next to each other. I still think all air assets should be the same scale. That being said I'm sure it wouldn't come up very often as the models wouldn't be next to each other very much. I'd still buy 1/100 scale fixed wings, I'd just complain. :wink:

also the 1/100 scale air craft due to smaller size and weight could go on a lot taller stand i just grabed a stand i use for 15mm air craft.

Back