Simple question: Will the old SST models be discontinued?

Urrgok

Mongoose
More specifically, will Mongoose keep all the current SST minis on the production line, or just som of them. If some are going bye-bye - which ones? I'd like to know well in advance.

Oh - and what of the original game, the rules, etc.?

JoseDominguez said:
Buy them quickly then...... there wasn't enough of us buying SST models to support it before Evo.

OTOH plastic moulds are durable and metal moulds are cheap...It's not like maintaining them is going to be huge expense so they will make profit with them anyway.

JoseDominguez said:
Buy them quickly then...... there wasn't enough of us buying SST models to support it before Evo.

What was to a large degree caused by unavailablity of products and thus pissed of interested folks.

If SST would have been supported properly from the beginning there would not have been such a problem - and yes, I still think Evo isn't necessary.
I have been out there and I got new players almost everywhere I went. In Stuttgart I have four or five of them, probably two in Tübingen, two in Essen and some others though Forums, far away from the places I can reach by myself.

So there isn't any problem with players or the system. It's just lack of advertisment and lack of product support (what will hopefully become better now).

But bottom line is, I should expect to be able to buy all of the minis in a year's time too, yes?

Thing is, I'm not made of gold, I can't buy *all* the minis I want just now, and if they pull them off the shelves before I can get what I think I'll need in the long run, I might just as well ditch the game in stead of committing to it. I want to be able to paint my minis myself.

Urrgok said:
I want to be able to paint my minis myself.

Lots of people have done touching up and highlighting work on the BF: Evo prepaints, and there is nothing to stop you from just getting a can of undercoat and starting again on the prepaints.... Much as one of my mates is raving about pre-paints for BF I know he will be touching his stuff up, and as he has a large skinnie and bug for force for SST, I am fairly sure that any new minis he buys for this will be re-painted and well painted. Look at the The Legends pics, I think does some fantastic paint jobs.

Annnyway...

Urrgok, again, as long as there's demand for the miniatures, they'll continue to be available. So as long as people feel like no paying $$$$ for prepainted miniatures, these models will be available.

The only problem with repainting the prepaints is you're paying GW prices for, well not such amazing sculpts, it definatly strips the value added if you are repainting them.

The other stuff will still be around as long as theres a demand, but it is worth pointing out that the 25% reduction on all the plastic goodness is only going to last until the August launch ( Which makes me wonder what will happen to the prices after that, hopefully mongoose will need to clear even more space for the other games and reduce the price still further :D )

Urrgok said:
But bottom line is, I should expect to be able to buy all of the minis in a year's time too, yes?

Thing is, I'm not made of gold, I can't buy *all* the minis I want just now, and if they pull them off the shelves before I can get what I think I'll need in the long run, I might just as well ditch the game in stead of committing to it. I want to be able to paint my minis myself.

Depends on the store too. Some stores, like mine, are clearing out the old stock to make room for SST:Evo

The thing to remember is that whether or not the old models will always be available, all of the old models will be tournament legal in SSTE. They'll have official stats published in S&P so that even if any of the models won't be remade in SSTE, you'll still have the stats for them to play with officially.

Will there be any new releases for the original SST? The Forth for example? Because I am not interested in this prepainted Evo stuff. I also bought BF:Evo and was disappointed about the sculpts, the scale especially when you combine it with the (high) price, and also of the asembling quality(minis lose bases, my two tanks fall apart: tracks, main gun).
I share the same opinion as Galatea, a littlebit more professional support(also in other countries then just USA and UK) and the original SST would have good chances in establishing itself on the market.
In Germany you have to wait months for the ordered miniatures. No TT fan will accept this and so many retailers kicked it out in the last few months(thanks to BF:evo).
There is a market and SST is great! Everywhere where I go and play some Demo games some new players join. Okay, some resculpts would be necessary(Brain Bug, Firefries, Hoppers), but MGP showed they are able to to this. The Overseer Bug is just awesome and the exos and the my new WASP Troopers are also looking great.
Now there are at least 12-14 around Frankfurt and more are showing up each month. But very few are interested in SST:Evo. And I am very scared, when I think about the possible upcoming prices compared to those of the original SST. I really hope MGP won't raise the prices for the old stuff to close that gap.
And I also hope MGP will remember their gamers who bought the original SST stuff the last years and won't try to force those gamers to buy the evo stuff by stooping new releases for the original SST.

I am sure many of the old sculpts will be superceded by the new ones. Many will just not want the old ones (e.g. skinnies) because they are so ugly. :)

Turtle said:
The thing to remember is that whether or not the old models will always be available, all of the old models will be tournament legal in SSTE. They'll have official stats published in S&P so that even if any of the models won't be remade in SSTE, you'll still have the stats for them to play with officially.

If they are serious about keeping the old models "legal" by supporting them with EVO stats and allowing them in offical events, then MGP will have regained a lot of respect in my mind. I bought into the original game and worked had to support it...but came perilously close to selling off everything a couple times once EVO was announced. I decided to just go away and indulge other interests until EVO comes out and I make the final call.

Not that this is their responsibility, but MGP could do something to reward early adopters (pre-EVO) by not continuing to manufacture old SST models (or old versions of those models) yet still support them post-EVO with stats. It would really go a long way to reward the old guard who likely have these models. They can use them legally while other folks who didn't try SST the first time around look on with jealousy though some of those old models were pretty rough...)

Just thinking out loud...
G&T

Games&Theory said:
If they are serious about keeping the old models "legal" by supporting them with EVO stats and allowing them in offical events, then MGP will have regained a lot of respect in my mind. I bought into the original game and worked had to support it...but came perilously close to selling off everything a couple times once EVO was announced. I decided to just go away and indulge other interests until EVO comes out and I make the final call.

Not that this is their responsibility, but MGP could do something to reward early adopters (pre-EVO) by not continuing to manufacture old SST models (or old versions of those models) yet still support them post-EVO with stats. It would really go a long way to reward the old guard who likely have these models. They can use them legally while other folks who didn't try SST the first time around look on with jealousy though some of those old models were pretty rough...)

Just thinking out loud...
G&T

Well since many of the new models are justs new plastic prepainted versions of the old models they are going to have stats anyway. I guess they could loose some of the options in the switch over to prepaints...

But unless some of the old units are being removed entirely then they should all have stats. Might not have the cards with the stats on though, thinking about it. But since they seem to putting the stats cards for BF:Evo in S&P that could help (if we read them of course...)

So you probably shouldn't have much to worry about.

Nick

Games&Theory said:

Nah. Bad idea. Could easily lead to tournaments being decided not by who is the best but who was around when old models were sold or who are willing to pay astronomical prices on ebay for them(prices would soar high for those if what you suggest would be done).

I would prefer tournaments(and reqular games) be won by those who are best players. Not those who have access to old models. It's like in EpicA if Imperator titans would be playable and actually underpointed giving anybody with that model huge advantage over other players...Not fun when those buggers are hard to get.

Or even worse warmonger titan...As it is eventhough they aren't usable in tournament games you have to spend about 100$ for one...

Lorcan Nagle said:
Isn't that what they're doing though? We're apparently getting a PDF of all the old unit stats, EVOed up at launch time.

But old models are still available...That's the difference.

Equilavent in EpicA would be if they would release stats for warmonger titan with plan of releasing new one later AND keep selling old model as well.

Back