Should Guests Be Able to Post?

Should they?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
CudaHP said:
I actually have to state I have never seen a spam post by a bot, on this or any other Forum. Doesn't mean they're not out there I just have not seen them.

Trust me, they're there. I've reported dozens

LBH

Hey all,

Should guests be allowed to post? IMHO, Absolutely not.

Should guests be able to vote on polls? IMHO, Absolutely not.

I help administrate forums very similar to the ones here on the MGP site on my own site. On my site guests aren't allowed (to my knowledge) to do anything other than review (most) posts. Also, on my site, a user account cannot be made live until it's verified by a confirmation email.

Will email confirmation stop these invading bots? Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a techie. However, it does create one more barrier to entry which in my mind has got to count for something.

Happy posting (except Guests :eek: ),

B

It's a slippery slope...soon enough guests will be blocked from viewing a handful of threads, which'll soon become a dozen threads and then the whole board'll be off limits. I get pretty wound up when I'm browsing the 'net looking for game fixes or people's views on certain RPG matters only to find the exact discussion I'm looking for in a forum that requires membership in order to view the aforementioned thread.

I've really got to agree weith Teamescape here.
Stopping guests from doing anything until they've registered is just going to alienate new users. Itso ne of the reasons I don't bother with Yahoo clubs (well the layouts unappealing too tbh...)
If guest bots are a massive problem (which thankfully doesn't seem to be the case really) an extra security code field can be added, thats all it'll take.... Well till bots can do that too, but then something else can be added. Besides most of the bots we get here seem to be members.

Things are quiet enough as it is without banning a chunk of the population from posting, and its not as if deleting spamers and fake accounts is all that taxing, gotta leave some work for the mods :D

while slippery slopes do exist, they are a warning that one has opened up the capacity to limit or expand on something in this case, Guest Rights.

However this is by no means ample enough to warrant not limiting their rights... currently they are limited, they dont have any information for example and they are clearly labeled as guests.

Just because the door is open doesnt mean Mongoose Will abuse that, it does require a degree of trust in the judgement of those who manage the forum.

A slippery slope isnt enough to not do something,

and besides... its not exactly hard to remain anonymous even with a registered account. email accounts are O Plenty to be found, and ur name and location is entirely up to your imagination. Speaking your opinion on what essentially IS Mongoose Property, and inherrantly somewhat international or English if not, is not a right, its a priveldge or power

they should exert whatever restrictions they see fit.

and in general i think its not a big deal to let Guests post, it helps out actually so that ppls whose accounts fall into disrepair can opt to find help. and in general its not a refuge for bots, and if guests are starting silly arguments... guess what... dont reply.l...

but i see from the poll that the majority prefers they do not post... so screw em, dont let em post.

I think it's silly to preclude guests from posting - it's helpful for those who just want a rules question answered and don't want to bother with the hassle of registering.

It should be possible to set up security features on the sign-up procedure and to allow guest posting only in certain forums like allowing guests to post in the rulesmasters forum, but not others.

-John

Back