Ship's Locker: Out of the Closet

Gauche: What Can We Discern

Q. Gauss receivers listed would need the specified size as minimum, presumably.

R. That means small gauss receiver could be used in all sizes, but the one stated as longarm, only longarm and above.

S. There's no ammunition base capacity variation for small gauss, so tripling capacity at base ten is thirty needles, not forty.

T. High capacity would bring it to thirty six.

U. But more likely extended capacity by thirty four percent, or eleven point twelve percent combined with high capacity.

Snubbing

The snub pistol is a low velocity revolver designed for use on shipboard and in a zero-G environment. It fires 10mm, 7 gram bullets at velocities of 100 to 150 meters per second. No magazine is used, six individual cartridges being inserted into the revolver separately. Standard rounds include a tranquilizer round, gas round, high explosive round, and a high explosive shaped charge round to defeat personal armor. The snub pistol is a standard shipboard security weapon generally loaded with five tranq rounds and one gas round.

More expensive pure combat versions of the snub pistol are available, generally in the automatic pistol configuration with extended magazines holding up to twenty rounds.

Like I tend to point out, not an engineer.

The standard snub pistol could pretty much look like a variant of the Mauser broomhandle:

21SCY01_Space-1999-Stun-Gun-Prop_01.jpg

since it's the name implies a very short barrel.

There's also a submachinegun, or more likely, an automatic pistol variant in one of the Mercenary editions, though most game mechanics tend to penalize continuous firing within the same combat round in terms of recoil, though accuracy trumps it in terms of probability of number of bullets being closely grouped enough to achieve multiple hits.

It's probably feasible to have a seven chambered snub revolver, or a more combat orientated nine chamber one with a shotgun just underneath the barrel:

66b3327284673144408e6b239380a870.jpg

a modernized LeMat.

If you extend the barrel, the snub cartridge would have more time to burn the powder, or whatever propellant is being used, which should increase accuracy and range; also would apply to the pistol.
22-1024_RIGHT_1K__38797.1580214156.jpg

Mauser Broom Handle pistol was an semi-automatic pistol rather than a revolver. You could certainly apply the same game mechanics to thesemi-auto as the revolver.

I think I've exhausted most viable possibilities for the snub weapon platforms.

One characteristic might be, or two, is that the bullet is slightly larger, and the case shorter, so the magazine, or cylinder might be shorter in length than normal handgun ammunition, considering the low velocity.

I think the advantage that the revolver has, is that you can preload different types of rounds, and select them by just turning the cylinder to the appropriate one.

V. There's no difference in costs between the gauss receivers.

W. The difference is in damage potential and technological level.

X. Except handgun/three dice, which to be fair, allows you to downsize from longarm.

Y. That, and the penetration bonus, should be enough to take down most humans in protective gear

Z. And then, you switch the selector on automatic.

1. Anhur Industries Gee See Twenty Four may be underpriced.

2. Three hundred fifty, three eight five, five three nine, six seven three and a quarter, ten ten and five eights, twelve twelve and three quarters.

3. Plus short barrel, 1'334.025 starbux.

4. Weight's correct, by a fraction.

5. Ammunition capacity incorrect, as base is ten times three, halved, plus twenty percent is eighteen, not twenty four.

6. If you want to make it concealable, you probably have to make it stealthy.

7. Smartphones in the Fifty Seventh century probably have a metal detector.

8. So civilians could probably detect any largish mass of metal in the vicinity.

9. Or put it in a chips packet.

A. The Gee Ess Forty series seems an attempt at a more economical solution.

B. Still can't figure out where that base forty ammunition capacity comes from.

C. Armour piercing requires studying the Final Penetration table.

D. Hopping back and forth in the book is an exercise in bloody awkwardness.

E. So plus one is armour piercing factor per dice, so three dice of damage is armour piercing three.

F. Plus two, armour piercing factor per dice plus one, which gets you three damage dice armour piercing factor four; balanced by minus one damage point per two full damage dice.

G. When you move to the longarm gauss receiver, you start off with a base two and a half kilogramme and zero Quickdraw.

H. Engagement range becomes an issue.

I. I think that there would be a distinct difference between the Confederation Marines, the Confederation Army, and the Home Guard.

J. Because there are fewer Marines, and they will fight at close quarters, possibly in microgravity, or close assault dirtside, they're going to need handier weapons.

K. At the same time, they probably want man portable weapon systems that can take out threats at (very) long range, so that they can avoid the uncertainty of close quarters combat.

L. I'm going to assume that all longarm gauss ammunition is compatible with each other, and that handgun gauss ammunition is compatible with shotgun gauss ammunition, being just handgun needles bundled together.

M. That means that technological level twelve standard gauss ammunition is compatible with technological level fourteen enhanced gauss ammunition.

N. Though I wonder there is a difference in materials used, such as using bonded superdense needles.

O. Or maybe just the tip.

P. Or just plain tungsten, or depleted uranium.

Q. Apparently you can upgrade the shotgun option to the other gauss receivers.

R. If it's sixteen to twenty four needles per bundle, and only a seventy five percent reduction in default magazine volume, doesn't seem kosher.

s. Also, one helluva shotgun spread at six hundred metres.

T. The one example we have is twenty three bundles at fifty five starbux.

U. Assuming twenty two starbux for the magazine (one percent of total cost), that leaves thirty three starbux at half a starbuck per needle, equals sixty six, or even full at one hundred ten needles, which would be nowhere close to sixteen to twenty four needles per shot.

V. If a gauss shotgun bundle is collectively cheaper than the same number packed singley, then buy the shotgun bundle, unravel the needles, and load them into the magazine.

W. Also, why that variance between sixteen to twenty four?

X. Presuming that each shotgun needle takes up the same volume as the default counterpart, you could only fit a bundle of twenty fours two and a half times into a capacity sixty magazine.

Y. I would think nineteen needles is about optimal for a circle, one six twelve.

Z. The bundle diameter would be a tad over twenty millimetres, slightly larger than a twelve gauge.

Gauche: Rifling

1. Back to basics.

2. The gauss rifle would be the standard sidearm for militaries technological level twelve and above, which means it's not obsolescent, yet.

3. Our example is the Gee Arr Eighty, which for some reason has ammunition costing seventy five starbux per hundred.

4. Features a bullpup configuration, which sort of resolves the issue why you should have a full stock.

5. The mechanism is fully automatic, considering you have an ammunition capacity of ninety, plus armour piercing three.

6. With a carbine barrel, it costs you sixteen hundred twenty starbux.

7. The multispectral scope costs half the modified receiver.

8. The listed default gauss rifle costs fifteen hundred starbux, is a kilogramme lighter, armour piercing five, and an eighty round magazine costs forty starbux.

9. Having the barrel being the freebie modularization, would allow you to adjust the expected engagement range.

As far as I know, carbine barrel does not grant Quickdraw plus two, though that didn't appear to make it to the finals; bullpupization does, but that didn't make it to the finals, either. The heavy barrel should minus off one point of Quickdraw, not reflected in the finals.

Last edited:

A. Ferromagnetic Accelerated Lock.

B. Burst Capable, eight hundred eighty starbux, three kilogrammes.

C. Full stock, eighty eight starbux, three hundred grammes.

D. Rifle barrel, two hundred sixty four starbux, one and a half kilogrammes.

E. Ninety round magazine; twelve hundred forty two starbux, four and four fifths kilogrammes.

F. Scope and bayonette optional.

FN-FAL_belgian_noBG.png

Mass4.25 kg (9.4 lb)

Sights
  • ramped aperture rear sight (adjustable from 200 to 600 m/yd in 100 m/yd increments)
  • post front sight

G. The advantage of a gauss rifle is that it has range, power, large ammunition capacity, rate of fire, and relatively cheap ammunition.

H. The disadvantage has to be increased maintenance.

I. The civilian version probably won't be allowed to have a larger damage potential than four dice.

J. Ammunition capacity would be reduced by ninety percent, though that would reduce cost and weight.

K. Repeater mechanism would have been ideal, except for one thing.

Last edited:

L. Repeater mechanisms tend to be pump action, revolver or lever action.

M. The magazine is assumed to hold batteries that power the gauss mechanism.

N. And repeater is usually loaded with single rounds.

O. That does leave us with en bloc clip and semi automatic, basically an updated Garand rifle.

P. That does constrict ammunition capacity with a fixed, internal, magazine.

Q. In theory, since gauss needles don't need self contained propellant, you could load them into magazines that lock into a closed system.

R. Since you don't have to expel casings.

S. It looks like the default listed magazines are undercosted, especially considering that they should contain batteries powerful enough to energize the the magnetic coils for at least eighty times.

T. Not to mention the sensors, that could be active a lot longer.

U. It's probably possible to have a separate battery power onboard the gauss rifle, and use unpowered magazines.

V. Lever action and an external magazine might also be possible.

W. That would resolve the issue of where the power came from.

X. But hard to justify why the ammunition capacity would be halved, with an external magazine.

Y. Personally, I don't care, since I think a civilian version would demonstrably be designed with a lot less ammunition capacity

Z. Much as it would amuse me to have the power created by having a wind up mechanism, I rather doubt that would be enough to energize a single shot.

Bond Arms Levergun - Design Principles and Internals

Bond Arms is developing what is finally a fresh and modern approach to one of the most American of gun designs - the levergun. Bond Arms' design isn't just a Winchester or Marlin with some m-lok bolted on, it's a wholly modern approach to making what the levergun should and can be. In this video we discuss the design with one of Bond Arms' lead engineers as well as field strip demonstrate the mechanism.

1. Box magazine.

2. Customizable lever(s) and stock.

3. Some parts probably somewhat compatible with some assault rifles.

4. Recoil minus one?

SAP-6 Mag-Fed Short-Barrel Pump Shotgun from Turkey

In this episode of TFBTV, Edward O takes a look at the Turkish SAP-6 pump-action shotgun. This short barrel gun feeds from 6 or 11 round detachable magazines, and is available in 12 inch, 14 inch, and 18 inch barrel lengths. In Canada, these shotguns have a dedicated following as camp guns, truck guns, and tactical shotguns.

So you can include pump action and bolt action, as well, to box magazines capable.

Dardick Model 1500: The Very Unusual Magazine-fed Revolver

The Dardick 1500 was a magazine-fed revolver designed by David Dardick in the 1950s. His patent was granted in 1958, and somewhere between 40 and 100 of the guns were made in 1959, before the company went out of business in 1960. The concept was based around a triangular cartridge (a “tround”) and a 3-chambered, open-sided cylinder. This wasn’t really of direct benefit to a handgun, but instead was ideal for a high rate of fire machine gun, where the system did not need to pull rounds forward or backward to chamber and eject them. In lieu of military machine gun contract, Dardick applied the idea to a sidearm.

The Model 1500 held 15 rounds, inside a blind magazine in the grip. It was chambered for a .38 caliber cartridge basically the same as .38 Special ballistically. A compact Model 1100 was also made in a small numbers, with a shorter grip and correspondingly reduced magazine capacity (11 trounds). A carbine barrel/stock adapter was also made. The guns were a complete commercial failure, with low production and lots of functional problems. Today, of course, they are highly collectible because of that scarcity and their sheer mechanical weirdness.

1. Ironically, I'd forgotten about the Dardick.

2. Presumably, you could have rounded rounds, just less of them.

3. Also, presumably, you could use a box magazine to feed the three chamber cylinder.

CUSTOM RUGER 96 - 44: BULLPUP: BELT-FED .44": The Ultimate Lever Gun!​

In 2019 I set myself the challange to see if I could produce a belt feeding mechanism for my Ruger Model 96. I also wanted to see if I could set this up in a compact Bull-pup stock to make, What I believe to be, the ultimate in manually operated Guns. Here in the UK, we can't have semi-auto firearms BUT - we can load our guns with as much ammo as we can (no magazine restrictions!). Therefore I believe this set-up offers the most fire power you can legally own here in the UK. In this video I introduce the gun as it is as of in the spring of 2020 and a brief run-through of how it works and how I made it. There will be modifications in the future to aid in carrying larger amounts of ammo (like an ammo box typical for belt-fed guns, as well as more links!) or a box/magazine option. It is primarily used for plinking or Practical style shooting (fire and movement on multiple targets where a lot of ammunition is used) in this case, having a belt-fed gun gives me quite the advantage. This project cost around £500 (~$650) and took about 4~6 months of my free time (mostly in the evenings) to build. I hope you enjoy and share in the fun of having something different and the belief in making the best of what you have.

1. Non disintegrating ammunition belt.

2. Seems a rather cheap bullpup conversion.

Back