Weight Adjustment: -20% —— (0.4kg)

Mechanism: Fully-Automatic — freebie — none — Auto 3
Receiver Totals ———— Cr300 - 1.6kg
Barrel: Carbine ———— Cr75 - 0.64kg - Range -10%
Stock: Fixed Stock ——— Cr30 - 0.16kg
Totals ——————— Cr405- 2.4kg

Last edited:
Ye Intermediate Rifle Calibre Universal Bullet

V. It appears that certain ammunition not only can increase or decrease the default size of the magazine, but also effect the weight of the receiver.

W. The intermediate rifle bullet makes the receiver twenty percent lighter.

X. I don't know how realistic this is, but I think the Sturmwaffe Funf just obsoleted the Sten.

Y. Or Desperado.

Z. So you give up a point of damage with the carbine barrel, and it will heat up faster than a longarm receiver, but this is about as cheap as you could make an Armalite equivalent.

1. Default magazines are based on default magazine capacity.

2. To make it interchangeable with other rifles using the same calibre bullet, the parts that connect have to be compatible.

3. That, I suspect, isn't compatible with the gun design mechanics.

4. It would mean that the Sturmwaffe Funf twenty round magazine (and intermediate rifle calibre bullets) could be used in an advanced combat rifle.

5. And in theory, an advanced combat rifle magazine could be used in the Sturmwaffe Funf.

6. Though probably not the advanced projectile weapon bullets.

7. The respective default magazines would cost one percent of the purchase cost of the core components of the rifle.

8. The standardization part is the compatibility of the bullets and the connectivity.

9. At one percent, and assuming mass production, retail price would be four starbux for the default twenty round Sturmwaffe Funf.

STURMWAFFE FUNF Assault Weapon

Weapon ——— TL — Range— Damage — Kg — Cost — Magazine—Magazine Cost — Quickdraw — Traits

Sturmwaffe Funf - 5 — 225m —— 3D-1 —— 2.4 — Cr405 —— 20 ————— Cr10 ————— +2 ——— Auto 3,
Physical Signature (normal)

Last edited:

A. It's been an interesting journey, and it's raised a couple of issues I hadn't been looking for or at.

B. Twenty two long rifle is, or was, popular because it cost peanuts, and you can carry around bags of them, which might be important when civilization ended.

C. You could take out a bear with them, if you knew what you were doing.

D. However, in Traveller, upgrading from light to intermediate rifle cartridge is a twenty five percent premium, for a fifty percent jump in effect, and a sixty six percent increase in range.

E. So if you want to practice shooting, it doesn't cost that much more using a more realistic weapon system.

F. And whatever effect you were looking for, it could be achieved faster with an intermediate rifle bullet.

G. Which brings us to a niche where the twenty two long rifle should shine at, the survival rifle.

H. You start off with a handgun receiver, basic one hundred seventy five starbux and four fifths of a kilogramme.

I. Twenty percent weight reduction is six hundred forty grammes.

J. Carbine barrel is forty three and three quarter starbux, and two hundred fifty six grammes

K. Full stock seventeen and a half starbux, and eighty grammes.

L. Automating it just increases the cost.

M. Single shot would decrease it by three quarters.

N. You could either fold the barrel, or detach it to store it in the stock.

O. I'm thinking a thumb trigger to simplify it even further.

P. Though regarding the stock, considering the weight, it seems more wireframe than full.

Q. And at this point we bump up against Crewmate.

R. At five hundred starbux, Crewmate seemed geared towards the high end of the market.

S. This with a damage potential of two dice.

T. Whereas this seems to foreshadow my policy of commonality, it misses as basic aspect of what I perceive is the niche a technological level five bullet occupies.

U. Cheap, easily available, and more as a need to simplify logistics, instead of maintaining stocks of handgun ammunition.

Guns: Single Shot Option

1. Repeater option reduces cost and magazine capacity by fifty percent.

2. Single shot option reduces cost by seventy five percent, and presumably solos magazine capacity.

3. Ammunition capacity can be reduced by ninety percent, at forty five percent weight reduction and cost.

4. I guess you can pick and choose which feature is most attractive to you.

V. A Saturday Night Special is a cheap handgun, usually meant for more nefarious purposes.

W. Repeater handgun, basically a revolver, would drop ammunition capacity to five, at eighty seven and a half starbux.

X. You could make it unreliable, at three deficit points and forty percent drop in price.

Y. Short barrel is worth one tenth of the receiver and range; at the expense of signature, one dice, and penetration.

Z. Being intermediate rifle, another one fifth drop in weight.

Weapon: Saturn Twilight Special
Type: Handgun

Component ————— Cost - Weight - Other Factors
Receiver Type: Handgun - Cr175 - 0.8kg - Quickdraw 4

Ammunition Type: Intermediate Rifle — Base Damage: 3D
Ammunition Cost: Cr50 per 100 rounds
Base Range: 250m
Base Ammunition Capacity: 10 rounds
Signature: Physical (normal)
Weight Adjustment: -20% —— (0.16kg)

Mechanism: Repeater — x50% — none — Base Ammunition Capacity: 5
Receiver Totals ———— Cr87.50 - 0.64kg
Barrel: Short ————— Cr8.75 - 0.064kg - Range -90%, Quickdraw +6, Physical Signature +1, Penetration -1
Stock: None
Totals ——————— Cr96.25 - 0.704kg

SATURN TWILIGHT SPECIAL Handgun

Weapon —————— TL — Range— Damage — Kg — Cost — Magazine—Magazine Cost — Quickdraw — Traits

Saturn Twilight Special - 5 — 25m ——— 2D —— 0.704 — Cr96.25 —— 5 ————— Cr2.50 ——— +10 ——— Penetration -1,
Physical Signature (high)

Last edited:
Weapon: Tripper Chipper Survival Rifle
Type: Handgun

Component ————— Cost - Weight - Other Factors
Receiver Type: Handgun - Cr175 - 0.8kg - Quickdraw 4

Ammunition Type: Intermediate Rifle — Base Damage: 3D
Ammunition Cost: Cr50 per 100 rounds
Base Range: 250m
Base Ammunition Capacity: 10 rounds
Signature: Physical (normal)
Weight Adjustment: -20% —— (0.16kg)

Mechanism: Repeater — x50% — none — Base Ammunition Capacity: 5
Modified Ammunition Capacity: 1 round (20%) - x40% - x40% - Ammunition Capacity: x20%
Receiver Totals ———— Cr52.50 - 0.384kg
Barrel: Carbine ————— Cr13.125 - 0.1536kg - Range -10%,
Stock: Full Stock ——— Cr5.25 - 0.0384kg
Totals ——————— Cr70.875 - 0.576kg

Last edited:
TRIPPER CHIPPER SURVIVAL RIFLE Handgun

Weapon ———————— TL — Range— Damage — Kg — Cost — Magazine—Magazine Cost — Quickdraw — Traits

Tripper Chipper Survival Rifle - 5 — 225m —— 3D-1 — 0.576 — Cr70.875 —— 1 ————— Cr0.50 ————— +4 —— Physical Signature (normal)

Snub versus Rocket versus Conventional

1. Zero gravity requires an athletics/dexterity check.

2. The preference would be for rocket projectiles, if they didn't have a minimum range requirement of ten metres that caps damage at one dice.

3. Base range is forty metres for snub rounds, modified by barrel length.

4. I don't think there's a technological level minimum.

5. Five metres would be wrong, considering that barrel length modifiers are ten, twenty, fifty, ninety, hundred, and so on, percent.

6. Minimal barrel does cap range at five metres, which beats short at four metres, but would increase physical signature by two, while reducing penetration by two.

7. If it wasn't for the cost and firearm regulations, you might as well opt for a laser weapon system.

8. Minimal barrel plus snub round equals minus four for penetration, not to mention minus two for inaccuracy.

9. Short barrel reduces penetration by one, total three, and increases physical signature by one.

A. Ideally, in zero gravity you grab hold of your rocket gun, and keep fifty metres between you and your opponent.

B. Circumstances where close quarter combat can't be avoided, would likely be onboard a spacecraft, with the artificial gravity turned off.

C. In that case, I'd prefer a snub weapon system with either burst fire or fully automatic, rather than a snub pistol or revolver.

D. Exploding bullets tend to be frowned upon, and you can always hold your breath.

E. Snub weapons are inherently inaccurate, though I'm not quite sure why, so you might want to have a stream of lead to be sure you hit something.

F. The most effective way to use a snub pistol would be to jam it into your opponent's face, being least protected, and at five metres likely the closest body part.

COOL WEAPONS THAT YOU HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE

00:00 - The Littlest Shotgun
00:55 - GB22m
01:38 - Serbu RN-50
02:26 - Beretta U22 Neos
03:22 - MTs-255
04:19 - CMMG DISSENT
05:20 - Keltec SUB2000
06:20 - SIG SAUER MG 338
07:24 - Kriss Vector .45 ACP Alpine White
08:31 - Cabot Guns Fire & Ice
09:23 - AF2011-A1 "Second Century"
10:32 - Standard Manufacturing DP-12
11:23 - Sci-fi gun

1. Revolver shotgun.

2. Folding gun.

3. Stabilizer inside the barrel.

G. The snub revolver has always fascinated me.

H. Partially, this has to do with the Sandman gun from Logan's Run.

I. The original version was a revolver with six different types of ammunition.

J. Another inspiration is Judge Dredd's Lawgiver.

K. Add a smartlink, and you can just think which type of bullet you want to use.

L. However, in my opinion, the cheapest most versatile weapon system for self defence would be an intermediate rifle handgun.

M. Or a shotgun.

N. A snub postal is for someone in normal gravity who might have trouble with recoil.

O. Or a confrontation in zero gravity at close range.

P. In that case, why not a derringer, instead of a pistol or revolver.

Q. Going by the only example of the derringer in Field Guide, bullets shot through a minimal barrel, drops from normal to half dice.

R. The exception being rocket propelled, but that's one dice for the first ten metres.

S. Three times three minus three ranges zero to six, average three.

T. Short barrel has it's deficits, but for a snub bullet damage potential is still complete at three dice minus three.

U. And in theory, a derringer has a lot less moving parts for something to go wrong.

Back