00:00 INTRO (HIJACK)
00:50 TRITON CITY
02:11 DOGEN CITY
02:46 PANGEOS - LILYPAD - OXAGON
03:40 MALDIVES FLOATING CITY
08:00 SEASTEADING INSTITUTE
10:00 OCEANIX BUSAN
13:50 CONCLUSIONS

Triton City, envisioned by Buckminster Fuller in the 1960s, was an early concept of a self-sustaining floating city with advanced technologies for food production, water purification, and renewable energy. The project's ambition was to create a scalable community that could expand as needed. However, it faced setbacks due to the death of its main investor, Matsutaro Shoriki, bureaucratic obstacles, and the unavailability of required technologies at the time. The Maldives Floating City, inspired by Dutch floating homes, offers a more practical approach with modular units. Despite these advancements, the long-term sustainability and viability of floating cities in the face of rising sea levels and other challenges remain uncertain.

Can we afford to live in space?

Why are mercenary armies are so rare in Sci-Fi?

Generic greetings, todays video was suggested by and lightly contributed to by one of you patrons. I can't remember who while writing this. BUT. We're talking about mercenaries in science fiction, what conditions they need to really become prominent. How they operate and why most sci-fi settings are hostile to the profession of killing people for money.

1. Real mercenaries exist at a specific window in time.

2. Cheap supplies.

3. Scaling.

4. In theory, cheaper and faster solution.

5. Access to cutting edge technology.
These reasons are interesting in that they are not the original Traveller Mercenary (1978) reasons for mercenaries, which further suggests that most sci-fi settings are not like Traveller (at least, how it was conceived in 1978):

1) The central government is powerful but remote with respect to the outer areas ("frontier")
2) Lack of real-time communication with the frontier renders those local governments more autonomous
3) Frontier populations are low, and the central government can afford to "look the other way" until conflict threatens the wider polity
4) Frontier governments lack trained soldiers or are unwilling to conscript their own people when fighting occurs
5) Mercenaries are trained, equipped, mobile, willing to fight, do not involve the local populace, and leave when finished (usually)

The above 5 reasons imply a type of setting that not everyone will like, but which has been a staple of many Traveller campaigns since the beginning of the game.

1. Current events are reminding us of lessons of war that our generation forgot.

2. I remember in college stating that conscription should be the norm, and the more commercially minded students were aghast at the hit to the productivity of the economy that would entail.

3. A lot of flag officers point out that it's the professional army that starts a war, but a drafted one that ends it, after the professional one is gutted.

4. Governments prefer professional, volunteer militaries, especially if they plan to use them as a foreign policy tool.

5. By extension, mercenaries as well, whether foreign or domestic.

6. Examples would be the French Foreign Legion, and Blackwater.

7. The so called Wagner Group was used to pursue Russian policies and interests in Africa and the Middle East.

8. Eventually, they ended up on the frontline, in pursuit of any form of demonstrable success, after most of the professional Russian Army was decimated in the beginning of the Russian Ukrainian War.

9. Reportedly, there are now quite a number of private military forces funded by major Russian corporations and oligarchs, even the Ministry of Defence.

quote-gold-will-not-always-get-you-good-soldiers-but-good-soldiers-can-get-you-gold-niccolo-machiavelli-70-98-91.jpg

Looks like you need a Press Officer slot.

Old Spice Mine || Cobb Vanth Parody of Old Town Road

vanth is back... to the old spice mine.
lyrics by myself

Lyrics:
Yeah, i'm gonna take my bantha
to the old spice mine
I'm gonna ride 'til I can't no more
I'm gonna take my bantha to the old spice mine

i got the speeders in the back
blaster is attached
boots are matte black
got the visor thats black to match
riding on a bantha, ha
you can whip your crest
i been in the dunes
you aint been up off that pallace, now

Can't nobody tell me nothing
You can't tell me nothing

riding on racer
lean in on my blaster
cheated on my wee - quay
you can go and ask them
my life is a hologram
crates and tuskens
helmet from jawas
pikes on my booty

Yeah, i'm gonna take my bantha
to the old spice mine
I'm gonna take my bantha to the old spice mine

Cap down, cross town, livin like a arc-star
spent a lot of credits on my brand new blaster
pikes got a habit: blended spice and race pods
Ridin' down freetown in my naboo star fighter
got no fodder, ive been through all that
im like a country folk sherrif so i kick on back
wish i could could fly on back to that old spice mine
i wanna ride 'til i cant no more

Compact Disks make Comeback: Memory could Exceed Petabytes

Memory storage technology has come a long way from compact disks. Or has it? In a recent paper, scientists report they were able to fit petabytes of memory onto a compact disk using new laser technologies and advanced material design. Is this the future of data storage? Let’s have a look.

Jump disks.

Laser reads and erases/fries.

Researchers in South Korea create beef-infused rice

Researchers are touting what they're calling "hybrid rice," grown in a lab with cow muscle and fat cells inside the rice grains. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rison.

The disappearance of America's leading anti-gravity researcher

In the early 1990s, Chinese-American physicist Ning Li published a series of controversial papers theorizing about anti-gravity. In 2001, she received a Defense Department contract to fund experimental efforts based on her theories... And in 2004, Ning Li disappeared — prompting a flood of conspiracy theories.

Let's dive into the work of Ning Li and the mystery surrounding her disappearance to see which parts of this story we can finally put to rest for good.

Weight loss programme.

How Do Astronauts Sip Hot Coffee In Space? 🤔

Have you ever wondered how astronauts sip their hot coffee in zero gravity? You see, In zero gravity, Liquid sticks to itself and pretty much anything it touches. So, if they used regular cups, the coffee would just stick to the sides and the bottom. And they would have to shake the cup towards their face in a hope that some of the hot liquid breaks loose and floats towards their mouth, which sounds pretty risky. So, They designed a special-shaped cup where fluid gracefully creeps up and parks itself right next to the lip due to capillary force and surface tension.

The Genius of Cycloidal Propellers: Future of Flight?

Propellers are fundamental to transport all around the world and combine so many interesting engineering principles. This is why I have loved learning about new ones so much since reading about Toroidal propellers around a year ago. This video covers Cycloidal Propellers, with some specifics on the Voith Schneider Propeller and the ABB Dynafin. We will also check out Cyclotech and see how they are getting on using the cycloidal propellers for flight.

Padd/air.

How bears hibernate

Warmer weather in the mountains means bears start waking up from their winter hibernation. The Homestretch host Chris dela Torre talks to naturalist Brian Keating about what happens to bears' bodies during the winter months.

1. Hormonal changes.

2. Super hibernators.

3. Torpor - twelve degrees drop.

4. Heartbeat fifty to eight beats per minute.

5. Respiration rate, one breath every forty five seconds.

6. Waste disposal unnecessary.

7. Weight loss programme.

8. Needs appropriate pill, or shot.

The Strangest City Concept in the World

00:00 INTRO
00:33 THE ORIGIN OF ARCHIGRAM
01:14 WALKING CITY
02:34 THE LINE AS A WALKING CITY
03:51 PLUG-IN CITY & METABOLISM (NAKAGIN CAPSULE TOWER)
04:57 CAPSULE HOMES
07:43 MONGOLIAN DWELLINGS (GER/YURT) & ULAANBAATAR
08:58 JAPAN SINKS
11:09 VLS (VERY LARGE STRUCTURE)
12:33 NOMADISM IN THE DIGITAL ERA
13:52 NARU’S MOBILE VILLAGE

Exploring the concept of Walking Cities, originally envisioned by the Archigram group in the 1960s, this documentary delves into the idea of nomadic, self-sustaining cities that roam freely and connect with others. It examines the architectural and social implications of such cities, their potential as a solution to sinking cities, and the shift from static to nomadic living. The documentary also discusses contemporary interpretations and the feasibility of this visionary concept in today's world.

Zodanga1.jpg

3. Anti gravitated city is probably a better solution.

4. Plug in condominium.

5. Trailer park.

comment_9OhNdW7O2hMA03WWfP6VRlDpXEbXbCB4,w800.jpg

7. Vargr(ants).

For a set of system wandering I wonder where the line is for cost effectiveness on building super station versus multiple large ships that stay together like a Fleet but stay in system.

1. single point of failure versus multiple redundancies
2. are there enough resources scattered about to make it worth while to go travel while harvesting the belt

1. That depends on such factors as diminishing returns; while in the other thread I didn't elaborate, but in Traveller spacecraft design sequence, a lot of components, and fuel consumption, are linear, not economies of scale.

2. What's not obvious are industrial base and infrastructure - how many factories can manufacture gigantic jump drives, or where would megafreighters dock?

3. Resource harvesting would depend on optimum (that is lowest) cost per unit of production, which might include open pit mining.

The Weirdest WW2 Weapon that Was Actually Pretty Good

Amid the chaos of the Battle of Arnhem in September 1944, Major Digby, a fearless British paratrooper, stood out with an unconventional weapon in hand. Like a true British gentleman, the Major carried a simple umbrella for identification, earning him an aura of mystery and madness in front of his puzzled comrades.

Digby and his men were surrounded and outnumbered by German infantry and armor. The man was faced with two options: perish while holding the bridge in order to allow the upcoming Allied armor to cross it and continue advancing into the heart of Germany, or retreat, saving his men but jeopardizing Operation Market Garden.

The Briton decided to hold his ground. Communications were cut off, but fortunately for the paratroopers, Digby, wary of unreliable radios, had previously equipped his men with bugles from the Napoleonic era to communicate with each other as the cacophony of war shrouded the soldiers.

Realizing the enemy was about to overwhelm his troops as machine gun and mortar fire suppressed them, Major Digby opted for an unconventional solution to gain control of the breach: a desperate bayonet charge.

The Major tossed aside his submachine gun and, with his umbrella in one hand and pistol in the other, charged against the German infantry and armor, thrusting his umbrella into a German armored car, striking the driver in the eye.

The unexpected assault brought the vehicle to an abrupt halt, and the entire crew surrendered.

1. Umbrella.

2. Towel.

3. Twinkie.

Gravity Is A Social Construct, And That's Ok

i meant what said, fight me

Chapters
00:00:00 - Cold Open
00:02:27 - Introduction
00:05:12 - Act 1: The Science
00:05:16 - Part 1.1: A History of Gravity
00:12:58 - Part 1.2: Dark Matter
00:20:51 - Part 1.3: Another Hypothesis
00:29:37 - Intermission
00:31:19 - Act 2: The Social
00:31:22 - Part 2.1: Infinite Hypotheses
00:37:35 - Part 2.2: Social Constructs
00:48:09 - Part 2.3: WHAT WAS THE REASON
00:57:11 - Final Thoughts
01:00:49 - Comment Sharing + Credits

1. You only feel like you're falling.

2. Everything is relative to the observer.

3. WIMP versus MACHO.

4. Physics is a crystal ball.

5. Or, see through a glass darkly.

6. Or a dark mirror, see it reflect our biases.

7. If there is no dark matter, it must be in existential crisis.

8. All sciences are social.

9. Vulcan imploded because logic was rejected.

A. Science isn't binary.

B. Context is everything.

C. Be first and loudest.

D. The universe isn't straight.

E. Eight Simple Rules.

F. No man is an island.

G. Multiple Bangs.

H. Therefore, inertial compensation neutralizes gravity waves.

Back