Ship's Locker: Out of the Closet

Chuck Rajas in the Fifty Seventh Century: Artillery

L. If orbital strike missiles are smartless missiles, you should be able to use them in turrets, firmpoints and hard points mountings.

M. You point those in the desired direction, maybe angle of launch, and/or jiggle the fuel supply, and fire.

N. That's three deadly dice of groundside destruction.

O. At intercontinental range.

P. And you could equip it with an guided munition kit.

Precision guidance kit for unguided rockets

Countries with most advanced technology in the arms industry continually work for improving their defense systems. One of the most important factor for this is the integration of precision guidance systems in their arms and high speed UAS. It involve various advantages such as adjacent damage reduction, ammunition use diminution, etc… Therefore, systems such as Veronte autopilot installed on guidance kits for rocket control reach great importance today.

This kind of guidance kit systems are focused particularly for Air-to-Ground or Ground-to-Ground devices, with the aim of reducing collateral damages caused by these weapons due to the low precision available on non-guided systems.. The improvement in accuracy achieved by installing a guidance kit on non-guided missile permits to reduce the area of probable impact, preventing damage in areas surrounding the target.

Characteristics of guidance kit controlled by Veronte
The integration of Veronte Autopilot in guidance kits involves the use of a redundant high performance control system comprised by two Veronte autopilots configured to carry out the guidance. It can be used for controlling different kind of platforms, from rockets to high speed UAS. Combining the capability of inertial sensors INS (Inertial Navigation System) and satellite guidance GPS / GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) provides high accuracy at an affordable cost.

All this results in a guidance kit that can be applied to artillery rockets, missiles, and other UAS… This guidance kit are usually installed on the front of the rocket being compatible with various control systems such as canard canard among others and ensuring accuracy with circular Error Probable (CEP) of few meters.

In conclusion, precision guidance kit for rockets are an attractive alternative on the arms market, permitting to improve obsolete artillery systems to become precision devices. In this way it is possible the use of archaic projectiles that would not have an utility without a guidance system.

Chuck Rajas in the Fifty Seventh Century: Artillery

Q. It's now pretty clear that point defence is a necessity.

R. I'm not sure where that's mentioned for dirtside combat.

S. And if they can be used in space combat.

T. As cheap and effective alternative(s).

U. I am thinking of quadruple machineguns.

s-l500.jpg

Air/boat

1. I think I've gone here before, but with an unpowered wagon.

2. Unpowered boat will be our chassis of choice.

3. Propulsion would default to either by oars or by sail.

4. One would assume hull material would default to wood.

5. Default skill would be seafarer.

6. Agility is minus one (and going to be worse).

7. Space cost is one hundred fifty bux per, and effectively unlimited

8. Though at some point you'd have to switch to metal, though I suspect that what the ship chassis is for.

9. Shipping is a quarter tonne per space, but I would think this would be constructed using local materials.

Air/boat

A. Speed depends on technological level, and like in spacecraft construction, you have to pick the base technological level manufacture takes place.

B. Four is very slow and range is two hundred; five slow and three hundred; seven medium and four hundred; nine medium and five hundred; and eleven high speed and six hundred range.

C. Not being a boater, exactly how the outboard motor option corresponds to speed and range escapes me.

D. Also, I'm not sure exactly how that would work if you applied that to a hull the size of the Titanic.

E. Besides, the primary propulsion is going to be the technological level ten auxiliary grav drive, which takes up a quarter of the volume, and only doubles cost to three hundred bux per space.

F. Agility gets an additional minus one (total minus two), range is halved, and speed reduced by one band.

Air/boat

G. One thing I'm pretty sure of, gravitationally based engines need power.

H. While you could have the crew exchange oars for poles and punt, or the sails for solar panelling (which I don't think is an option), chances are that's not enough to keep the boat airborne.

I. Optionally, you could call it a float/boat, though that may be redundant.

J. With powered vehicles, you could probably use the integral diesel motor, or steam engine.

K. A basic fusion reactor would require another quarter of the volume, and cost one eighth of a megabux per space consumed.

Air/boat

L. Hundred tonne scoutship hull costs six megabux, three if ungravitated; technological level nine factor one manoeuvre drive takes up one percent of volume and costs two megabux.

M. Four hundred space float/boat costs sixty kilobux, another sixty kilobux and one hundred spaces for a technological level ten auxiliary grav drive.

N. Three tonne technological level eight early fusion reactor at one and a half megabux; one tonne fuel tank, ninety three and a third days.

O. Hundred spaced technological level nine basic fusion plant, twelve and a half megabux, though endurance fifty years.

P. You'd need one hundred ninety sixish tonnes of fuel to reach fifty years.

Air/boat

Q. Solar panelling and batteries aren't an option.

R. Nor diesel motors.

S. However, there is external power, which requires five percent volume at ten kilobux per space at technological level eleven, conceivably ten percent at technological level nine.

T. You need line of sight from a microwave transmitter.

U. The issue being, we don't seem to have much details on such a transmitter, such as cost, size, actual range, et cetera.

Air/boat

V. I kinda suspect that if you tried to install spacecraft engineering into a wooden hull, it would tear itself off it's mounting(s).

W. A powered boat is even slower and less agile than an unpowered one.

X. Also, thirteen times more expensive and limited to fifty spaces.

Y. So, a fifty spaced powered boat costs hundred kilobux.

Z. The appropriate auxiliary grav drive would be thirteen spaces and another hundred kilobux.

Air/boat

1. Fifty spaced powered boat would require twenty five tonnes of cargo allocation.

2. A space/raft would with twenty five tonnes of docked space be 22.727 tonnes.

3. Standard ungravitated hull would be 568'181.82.

4. Early fusion reactor, half tonne, quarter of a megabux.

5. Manoeuvre drive, two hundred twenty seven and a quarter kilogrammes, four hundred fifty four and a half kilobux.

6. Leaving about twenty one tonnes, or eighty four spaces, for the remaining components or cargo.

7. Which would provide six times more utility.

8. At about one and a quarter megabux, against two hundred kilobux, at about six times cost.

9. In theory, one difference would be that the powered boat shouldn't have an issue with gravity greater than Terran norm.

Air/boat

A. If you're willing to put up with a tighter squeeze, the last option would be the light ground vehicle.

B. Spaces cap at twenty, at a cost of three quarters of a kilobux.

C. Fives spaces for the auxiliary grav drive, at fifteen kilobux.

D. Fifteen spaces to utilize, for a basic thirty kilobux, which is about eight times cheaper than the air/raft.

E. I guess it couldn't be termed an air/boat.

F. Lift/ar?

Air/boat

G. If you want to do a rough comparison between vehicles and spacecraft, you have to times the cost per space by four.

H. Since it's usually four spaces per tonne.

I. The smallest viable example would be a four space light ground vehicle, with one space being the auxiliary grav drive, at a basic six kilobux, if you don't care about performance too much.

J. Compared to an open framed variant with three spaces at six and three quarters kilobux, or nine kilobux, depending on how you interpret plus as being in addition to after doubling, or before.

K. Technological level ten would modify performance to medium and two hundred fifty klix range, or eleven to high and three hundred klix range.

Air/boat

L. If you need a lift/ar larger than twenty spaces, you switch to heavy ground vehicle.

M. Costs inflate by a factor of four.

N. Like planetoids, you have to consider twenty five percent of spaces as wastage.

O. That means, the actual cost per space would be a third more.

P. In practical terms, that's still ten times cheaper but at three quarters space, against a heavy grav vehicle.

Watch again: Nuclear fusion—scientists herald breakthrough that ‘could bring limitless clean energy'

Watch again as scientists announce a breakthrough in nuclear fusion that could bring limitless clean energy and help the fight against climate change.

On Tuesday, scientists from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California announced that they have achieved the “holy grail” of getting more energy out of a fusion reaction than it took to trigger it.

The team reportedly used 2.1 megajoules of energy to create the conditions for the reaction, and achieved a 2.5 megajoules return – an achievement known as fusion ignition.

Plus nineteen percent.

weequay-main_cf59bdbf.jpeg

614-AvA speeder bike

Production information
Manufacturer
Aratech Repulsor Company[1]
Model
614-AvA[2]
Class
Speeder bike[3]
Cost
4,200 credits[2]
Technical specifications
Length
4.4 meters[4]
Width
1 meter[1]
Height/depth
1.1 meter[1]
Maximum speed
375 kph[5]
Armament
BlasTech JB-37 blaster cannon (2)[1]
Crew
Pilot (1)[3][6]
Usage
Role(s)
Transport[3]
Affiliation
Galactic Empire[3]

Scoot/air

1. How fast do you really need to go, especially nap of the earth?

2. In a forest?

3. Open frame light grav vehicle is forty kilobux per space.

4. Speed is between high to subsonic.

5. Two to twelve hundred kilometres per hour.

6. One to five kiloklix range.

7. Plus two to agility.

8. With upto three spaces, so forty to one hundred twenty kilobux.

9. Steady technological level progression from eight to fiteen.

Scoot/air

A. And then you can dial it up to eleven.

B. By streamlining it.

C. Your speed is now very fast to supersonic, five hundred to six thousand kilometres per hour.

D. Though it's going to cost you between seventy to two hundred ten kilobux.

E. Agility goes up to plus three.

F. At six thousand klix per hour, I don't think a windscreen is enough.

Watch again: Nuclear fusion—scientists herald breakthrough that ‘could bring limitless clean energy'

Watch again as scientists announce a breakthrough in nuclear fusion that could bring limitless clean energy and help the fight against climate change.

On Tuesday, scientists from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California announced that they have achieved the “holy grail” of getting more energy out of a fusion reaction than it took to trigger it.

The team reportedly used 2.1 megajoules of energy to create the conditions for the reaction, and achieved a 2.5 megajoules return – an achievement known as fusion ignition.

Plus nineteen percent.
"For the experiment, researchers at LLNL used 192 ultra-powerful lasers to deliver 2.05 megajoules of energy to a tiny capsule smaller than a pea containing isotopes of hydrogen.
"It produced 3.15 megajoules of fusion energy output.
"While the result was a net energy gain, 300 megajoules of energy was needed from the electrical grid to power the lasers."

Proof of concept.

The point from now on would be reducing overhead and production costs, and write off research and development.

Timing is interesting, too.

Back