Shemite nomad

Hey all,

I'm making up a new character for Conan and had a question.

Does a Shemite's -1 to all saves impact on his Initiative bonus (which is based on his REF save modifiers)? I'm guessing yes... though it seems silly.

I would say no. The racial penalty in question is a modifier to Saving Throws while the Initative bonus is applied to Initative Checks. The fact that you add your Base Reflex Save as a bonus to your Initative modifier does not make an Initative Check into a Saving Throw. They are two totally different checks.

Now, if some mechanic ever did adjust the character's Base Reflex Save then I would rule that it affected his Initative as well.

Hope that helps.

argo said:
I would say no. The racial penalty in question is a modifier to Saving Throws while the Initative bonus is applied to Initative Checks. The fact that you add your Base Reflex Save as a bonus to your Initative modifier does not make an Initative Check into a Saving Throw. They are two totally different checks.
Yeah, that's how I would read the rules as well. However, I seem to remember seeing confirmation that the feat Lightning Reflexes does affect Initiative, which would indicate that the Shemite penalty should probably be treated the same way.

I included this question in an email that I just sent to the Rulesmasters. I'll get back to you when I get an answer.

Back