Shaman/Spirit Questions

Runefang

Mongoose
Ok, I have read the main book (MRQII), and the articles in S&P 89 and 90. They are a very nice improvement on shamanism, or spirit magic.

The main thing is there is now more RP put in than there used to be. We added alot in our games as we had a couple shamans and alot of spirit interaction as there were some creative minds involved. I do have some questions on some things. I might have missed them, as I have been real busy, so bear with me if they have been asked.

*How long do summoned spirits (not bound in fetches) hang around? There seems to be no duration (persistant seems a tad potent). Maybe the shaman does not regain the MP spent summoning until it departs?

*What about fetishes set loose to say, rot and release? Do they count against the binder's limit?

*Possession seems a bit odd, especially covert possession. Do you remain unaware of it? Does that mean you think the spirit won but went away (yea, sure, right)? Or do you not remember the combat and also do not wonder why your MPs are at zero?

*Dissipating a spirit, basically destroying one. A bit extreme? Used to be a rare power to have and if done usually incurred the wrath of powerful beings after a bit (who wants their followers/worshippers wiped out of the cycle of life?). Wouldn't it be better if they just went to zero, and reformed later?

*Also, Bane spirits damage destroys MPs permanently? That can leave you crippled after a couple bad rolls. Maybe that should go to, and just give them a nasty chaos feature.

*How far can a fetch go? If possessing a body and when not. Before a fetch was tied to the shaman and could only possess his body when he was away.

Ok, that should be it for now :) Back to work....

*Possession seems a bit odd, especially covert possession. Do you remain unaware of it? Does that mean you think the spirit won but went away (yea, sure, right)? Or do you not remember the combat and also do not wonder why your MPs are at zero?
GM fiat, but I'd rule that you don't remember, and when you use MP, the Spirit decides whether you can use some of its' to keep the possession covert, or whether you'll just auto-fail the roll since you are out of MP.

*How long do summoned spirits (not bound in fetches) hang around? There seems to be no duration (persistant seems a tad potent). Maybe the shaman does not regain the MP spent summoning until it departs?
It says spirit magic is potent since they hang around until they are dissipated. Yeah, I know that's pretty good, but if you can't bind them in a fetish, they can be killed or stolen by other spirit shamans.

*Dissipating a spirit, basically destroying one. A bit extreme? Used to be a rare power to have and if done usually incurred the wrath of powerful beings after a bit (who wants their followers/worshippers wiped out of the cycle of life?). Wouldn't it be better if they just went to zero, and reformed later?
Only some spirits return, I'd rule that dissipating an ancestor spirit would get the entire clan of spirits at your back, but a nature spirit would just make the essence seep back into nature without the spirit reforming. A part of the big cycle you know.

*Also, Bane spirits damage destroys MPs permanently? That can leave you crippled after a couple bad rolls. Maybe that should go to, and just give them a nasty chaos feature.
Yeah, Bane spirits are crazy. If you ever bind one, make sure it's your best pal ever or it can decide to rape the party.

Keep in mind that spirit magic is crazy good if your enemy comes unprepared for it, and if he comes prepared for it, you still get twice the ordinary Magic Points you would normally get. And you can get nice and spiffy effects, like increasing your damage die by 2 steps at start-up (for example, form +0 to +1d4 is a long way).

Mixster said:
It says spirit magic is potent since they hang around until they are dissipated. Yeah, I know that's pretty good, but if you can't bind them in a fetish, they can be killed or stolen by other spirit shamans.

I meant like a summoned ally spirit, you bargained for it to come (say a fire elemental) and now it manifests, and you have it how long?

Good questions. Speaking for myself I would say.

*How long do summoned spirits (not bound in fetches) hang around?
I think that's a RP decision. E.g. If you send a letter to friend asking him to come and see you then he'll come for as long as seems relevant. Same with a spirit ally.

*What about fetishes set loose to say, rot and release? Do they count against the binder's limit?

I would say yes until they break.

*Possession seems a bit odd, especially covert possession.
If the spirit isn't sneaky then you would know. Of course there's no guarantee anyone would believe your acts are being caused by a spirit... More generally, a spirit with covert possession would try to attack when you're not aware of it. (E.g. sleeping, unconsious, fevered) and being as most people are not aware of what a spirit attack feels like, many would misinterpret it.

*Dissipating a spirit, basically destroying one.
I think Mixster's explanation hits it on the head.

*Also, Bane spirits damage destroys MPs permanently?
There is probably a wise shamanic statement to be made here. They do seem very inherently Gloranthan to me, representing the void.

*How far can a fetch go?
Another good question. You could use the normal spirit walking skill to give a maximum distance (or maybe add up their skill or average it). Some traditions might vary though. In some cases they may not be able to separate more than a short distance. Probably best handled on a case-by-case basis.

Deleriad has pretty much covered all the points.

*How long do summoned spirits (not bound in fetches) hang around?
I think that's a RP decision. E.g. If you send a letter to friend asking him to come and see you then he'll come for as long as seems relevant. Same with a spirit ally.
Here I would add that the shaman should initially summon the spirit with a specific request in mind, to which the spirit agrees or disagrees. I.e. if you ask your friend to basically house sit for a month doing your washing, then he's not going to agree to come over. If you call him and ask for his help one evening to beat up the guy who set fire to your lawn, he will be far more amenable.

Once the objective has been completed, or at least wholeheartedly attempted, the spirit will consider its part done and leave at a suitable moment. It is the GM's responsibility to ensure that the bargain struck is fair and appropriate to the relationship between the PC and the spirit.

Remember that the spirit is a free entity and will leave if it considers itself being taken advantage of. The rules are deliberately abstract here so that the aid the spirit provides can match the dramatic scene/period where it is used.

If you find players are abusing the ability then have the spirit grow increasingly reticent to help out, or charge more in reciprocal duties each time it is summoned.

Back