Shadow fighter question

ShopKeepJon said:
I still like the idea of just making them ships (a two for one patrol choice). They would have the special rule that they deploy as fighters, but otherwise would be ships with a single damage point.

As a Shadow ship they would be able to move at double speed in a straight line just like their bigger friends and would not have to worry about dog fighting and AF.

They would be fairly comparable to other fleets similar choices... I think...

This would also be in line with Matt's idea that Ancients "don't do fighters".

ShopKeepJon

Its def intersting - would you keep the other stats the same? Also woulod you keep the Fighter Dispersal Tube?

Well the Vorlons do make very good fighters considering they don't do fighters........ :roll:

Da Boss said:
Its def intersting - would you keep the other stats the same? Also woulod you keep the Fighter Dispersal Tube?

Well the Vorlons do make very good fighters considering they don't do fighters........ :roll:
Yes, keep everything just as is.

If you do the math, they are actually fairly hard to destroy without dog-fighting and AF. Also, the Fighter Dispersal Tube would actually be cool to use instead of just denying you your one shot for the turn...

I think that they would feel very "Shadowy". I'll have to actually try it when I next get to play (which won't be for a couple weeks, stupid players going on vacation...).

ShopKeepJon

Da Boss said:
let us know how it works out - seems fun 8)
I will, but like I said, it will be a couple weeks before I can try. :(

If anyone else wants to try it, I would love to hear how it worked for you. When I get a chance to try it myself, we could compare notes...

ShopKeepJon

...,that's a fantastic idea! It also makes Initiative sinks MUCH less of a problem for Shadows and gives them much more viable options at lower levels.

Of course...that could greatly change the nature of the fleet with the potential for that many more initiative sinks (albeit not very tough, they would be almost impossible to catch if they wanted to stay out of the way).

I suggest some play testing :)
EDIT (If I can convince Burger, we'll give it a go and post results on the forums :))

I've tried making fighters more viable by giving them a bonus for being in base contact with a ship. For fighters in base contact with a ship of lumbering or normal manueverability, I add the Precise trait to all their attacks. For an Agile ship or one with dodge, I don't allow the targetted ship to dodge. I realize the white star is agile, but they shouldn't be able to dodge a FIGHTER at knife range, for goodness sakes!

I've only playtested this a few games and with a limited audience, and while we like the results (it really makes a fleet slow down and wait for good position when you see a fighter wing waiting to pounce on you!), others may have different thoughts.

We do a similar thing except with a few extra's.
All fighters have precise but only can hit engines,weapons & reactors (d3)
All fighters are double speed
Instead of the dogfight roll we use it to modify dodge scores fighters & caps, so effectively you shoot your weapons then roll dodge, anti fighter is -2 but we are thinking of upping it. Always get a chance to dodge on 6 no matter what.
The shadow fighter is quite potent under these rules as shields stop anti fighter as well.
We find these rules make the fighters act more B5 like. To us they are rather static in the current ruleset.

Hash said:
...,that's a fantastic idea! It also makes Initiative sinks MUCH less of a problem for Shadows and gives them much more viable options at lower levels.

Of course...that could greatly change the nature of the fleet with the potential for that many more initiative sinks (albeit not very tough, they would be almost impossible to catch if they wanted to stay out of the way).

I suggest some play testing :)
EDIT (If I can convince Burger, we'll give it a go and post results on the forums :))
Still at least a week before I can play :( has anyone tried this?

ShopKeepJon

Fighters have been pretty viable in our games due to the numbers of them that can be brought on the ships. They aren't game winners on their own, but it doesn't seem they should be in anything but very low priority games.

For the shadow fighter as ship thing, it does add a sink issue, but the whole game suffers under that right now. Just means the Shadows can play too... only the Vorlons and Minbari would suffer under that idea.

Ripple

yeah its true - stupid but true - guess that must be why the Vorlons get a extra fighter per wing :? What with the 3" precise beam weapon and AAF they are much worse :roll:

Marco Raimeous said:
So anti-fighter goes right through shadow fighter shields? Interesting, there was a dicussion about that at my venue. Go Vorlon

argh no why why do we keep discussing shadow fighters, nnoooooooo...

a simple house rule that shields work against af is simple enough. obviously pointless in tourney play though

Back