Shadizar

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
Will the Shadizar sourcebook include a (folded) map and a scenario or will there just be a description of the different sections of the city ?

The King said:
Will the Shadizar sourcebook include a (folded) map and a scenario or will there just be a description of the different sections of the city ?
I don't want to appear with the same question again and again but would it be possible to have some hints on the contents of the sourcebook on Shadizar scheduled for December. Hey! it's in 3 months but time flies fast.
I would gladly beg Vincent Darlage on my knees, but my position as king prevents me this gesture. :wink:

I belive that it wont contain a folded map. But will contain maps inside the book as usual. It will problably be mostly sourcebook, describing the city, its people and history. Perhaps info not only about Shadizar, but also on Zamora. Adventure seems unlikely, most probably scenarion hooks. Just my guesses, based on previous books in the series.

According to Vincent Darlage, full-fledged adventures were written for the various Conan books (including the upcoming sourcebooks), but were cut during edition. Mongoose might release them online as web enhancements, but I guess they'll probably end in Signs & Portents if they are to be published.

Hyborian said:
According to Vincent Darlage, full-fledged adventures were written for the various Conan books (including the upcoming sourcebooks), but were cut during edition. Mongoose might release them online as web enhancements, but I guess they'll probably end in Signs & Portents if they are to be published.
I want adventures and campaigns and big scenarios where the whole Hyborian continent shakes at its fundations. :!: :!:

That news upsets me greatly.

I DO NOT WANT TO BUY SIGNS AND PORTENTS

I do not use any of the other games source material and I never will (don't like those storys) ...and it's EXPENSIVE. My price per used page will be through the roof.

Please make these adventures...already complete!!! available to the descriminating Barbarians!

Thank you

Anonymous said:
I belive that it wont contain a folded map. But will contain maps inside the book as usual. It will problably be mostly sourcebook, describing the city, its people and history. Perhaps info not only about Shadizar, but also on Zamora. Adventure seems unlikely, most probably scenarion hooks. Just my guesses, based on previous books in the series.

I am not sure who the guest is, but his information is largely incorrect and inaccurate. Also, people should not base any guesses on previous books. There are exciting products headed your way. I am pleased and excited about the direction the Mongoose staff is moving the line and I believe most of the Conan RPG fans will be equally pleased and excited.

VincentDarlage said:
Anonymous said:

I am not sure who the guest is, but his information is largely incorrect and inaccurate. Also, people should not base any guesses on previous books. There are exciting products headed your way. I am pleased and excited about the direction the Mongoose staff is moving the line and I believe most of the Conan RPG fans will be equally pleased and excited.
But this doesn't answer the question. As for me I'am mostly pleased with every book (as well as the screen) that has been published for Conan.
Shall I deduct from your answer to the anonymous guest that everything he wrote is wrong and that the contrary will exactly happen, so that what I firstly posted as wishes is true :?: :idea: :wink:

VincentDarlage said:
I am not sure who the guest is, but his information is largely incorrect and inaccurate. Also, people should not base any guesses on previous books.

Well, I did say "believe" and "probably" and "my guesses". I guess I have to be even more vague next time I speculate on upcoming books.

Anyway, Shadizar now is listed as "Boxed set, 150 pages" which makes it interesting indeed. Separate folded maps suddenly becomes very likely (which it was not when it was listed as a book at 128 pages, which I based my previous guesses on). Price is up to $49.95 though, even though I'm not sensitive to expensive products.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/detail.php?qsID=545&qsSeries=Conan

VincentDarlage said:
And you might also notice it also includes the oft-requested adventure.
Sometimes no news equal good news. :D
I think it's very important to develop a city on the most detailed manner as possible because after all, this is (or can be) the starting point of many adventures or a base where the characters come back to heal their wounds and spend their loot.
Anyway, I understand now when you wrote: "I am pleased and excited about the direction the Mongoose staff is moving the line and I believe most of the Conan RPG fans will be equally pleased and excited."

This isn't mention in the teaser, but I guess from the price that there will be some cartographic materials. So the topic of this thread has been answered completely and I'am very pleased.
Long Live Conan RPG, the Mongoose and it's freelance writers :!:

VincentDarlage said:
There are exciting products headed your way. I am pleased and excited about the direction the Mongoose staff is moving the line and I believe most of the Conan RPG fans will be equally pleased and excited.

This is great news about the direction Mongoose is taking with Shadizar as a boxed set with fold-out maps. I loved the old TSR box sets like Ruins of Zhentil Keep and Waterdeep: City of Splendors (I loved the maps and attention to detail, if not always the characters and situations). Having a fully mapped, detailed city for Conan will do a lot to make the GM's job easier and the world more alive to the players. Good job guys!

:D ***jumping up and down for joy***

Iron_Chef said:
VincentDarlage said:
There are exciting products headed your way. I am pleased and excited about the direction the Mongoose staff is moving the line and I believe most of the Conan RPG fans will be equally pleased and excited.

This is great news about the direction Mongoose is taking with Shadizar as a boxed set with fold-out maps. I loved the old TSR box sets like Ruins of Zhentil Keep and Waterdeep: City of Splendors (I loved the maps and attention to detail, if not always the characters and situations). Having a fully mapped, detailed city for Conan will do a lot to make the GM's job easier and the world more alive to the players. Good job guys!

:D ***jumping up and down for joy***
True! ADD was always good for its beautiful maps and superb drawings (Ravenloft, Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, Dark Sun, Birthright, etc.)
However I'am older than then (as anybody I guess) and I also appreciate than Conan has more mature implication and contents.

The King said:
True! ADD was always good for its beautiful maps and superb drawings (Ravenloft, Al-Qadim, Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, Dark Sun, Birthright, etc.)
However I'am older than then (as anybody I guess) and I also appreciate than Conan has more mature implication and contents.

Yeah, we'd always have to tone down or eliminate certain juvenile or "goody two-shoes" elements in TSR products that made us want to puke. Especially in Forgotten Realms! Still, I've a soft spot in my heart (or should I say head?) for Zhentil Keep, Bane and the Zhentarim. The rest of the Realms can go to hell, but I'll always love that part of it (not the Time of Troubles part --- I'm talking old school 1st Edition versions but utilizing the pre-cataclysm sections of the Ruins of Zhentil Keep box set).

My favorite city supplement has been Lankhmar. Any chance that Shadizar's layout will look similiar? My complaint with city books is that they usually have too much open space between buildings, giving them an airy look. Lankhmar's buildings were densely packed, creating narrow streets and even narrower alleys. I don't remeber the number of times our gaming group got lost just exploring the city. It all added to a gloomy, claustrophobic air that would seem to fit Shadizar well.

Anonymous said:
My favorite city supplement has been Lankhmar. Any chance that Shadizar's layout will look similiar? My complaint with city books is that they usually have too much open space between buildings, giving them an airy look. Lankhmar's buildings were densely packed, creating narrow streets and even narrower alleys. I don't remeber the number of times our gaming group got lost just exploring the city. It all added to a gloomy, claustrophobic air that would seem to fit Shadizar well.

Aha! I knew I wa forgetting something. Lankhmar was the best of all the TSR settings because it was not "dumbed down" for younger players. My only complaints were once you left Lankhmar city, the rest of the world was pretty ill-defined and downright ridiculous in parts (too sci-fi). Otherwise, Lankhmar was, and is, a spectacular adventuring environment. Thieves' World by Chaosium was similarly gritty, despite having some over-the-top fantasy elements (but so does Conan, really, which is why it is sword and SORCERY, right?).

You know what other d20 city book I enjoyed last year? Streets of Silver from Living Imagination! That was an awesome book detailing a canal city like Venice, Italy. The only real problems were the usual juvenile d20 influences: cat people, midgets, and free auto-resurrection. However, these elements were minor and easily stripped out/replaced.

Good to see you back Iron_Chef!

I noticed that the price is now adjusted to $39.95 on the box.

I also just got the Atlantean Edition, which was nice, as I can now lend the first book to my players. :)

Hey, the cover preview is up. Looks great, but I'd be very happy to see a larger one (like with the Road of Kings). Same goes for Thunder River, Companies, Isles and Messantia :)

I come back to the charge with this old topic of Shadizar. It seems Mongoose is protecting its future sourcebooks as if working on ultra-secret projects. :wink:

I would like to know more about the (in)coming Shadizar Boxed Set: when is it to be expected and will there be an extra map of the city?

Back