Shadizar Map Download

Far better than the precedent huge canal that was dwarfing the Suez canal.
I wonder though why there must be a river crossing it.
I think REH would have talked about it. At the very last I would have put the Maul near the river and near the craftman quarter.

The King said:
I think REH would have talked about it. At the very last I would have put the Maul near the river and near the craftman quarter.

REH never described Shadizar and never had a story set in Shadizar. You are thinking of the City of Thieves (Arenjun).

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:

REH never described Shadizar and never had a story set in Shadizar. You are thinking of the City of Thieves (Arenjun).

Yeah, but that's no excuse! LOL!

The King said:
Urban morphology can be reasonably complex in some cases but almost always you'll find that disreputable areas are situated at the edges of settlements. The craftsmen, smiths, dyers et al will need the water for their industry, higher class craftsmen and merchants will situate themselves as near the wealthy as possible, likewise merchants site themselves near their
suppliers (craftsmen) and sales opportunities (market places). That leaves the underclasses to lurk where they may, merchants, their warehouses and public markets probably provide better opportunities for theft etc. than a craftsman (probably living in or over his workshop) so the situation of the Maul does make sense.

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:

Yes it is! I didn't realized this but after all Shadizar could very well be a transposition of Arenjun (because of the Maul, the temple's quarter, etc..). Still I can't imagine a broad river in such an arid place as Zamora.

I know the region is hilly and mountainous but it is not protected from the Southern desert because the Kothian escarpment stops before.
Of course this is just my opinion.

Pharoah Kromium said:
The King said:
Urban morphology can be reasonably complex in some cases but almost always you'll find that disreputable areas are situated at the edges of settlements. The craftsmen, smiths, dyers et al will need the water for their industry, higher class craftsmen and merchants will situate themselves as near the wealthy as possible, likewise merchants site themselves near their
suppliers (craftsmen) and sales opportunities (market places). That leaves the underclasses to lurk where they may, merchants, their warehouses and public markets probably provide better opportunities for theft etc. than a craftsman (probably living in or over his workshop) so the situation of the Maul does make sense.
I am not that sure about the Maul. When you have a walled city with a crossing river it is far easier to use the water way to smuggle stolen or forbidden goods in and out as to pass the gateway.
Waterways allow to transport more goods easily, especially in such a corrupted environnement.
So instead of using a caravan with many horses, mules or camels you can use just one boat.

Well, about the river, I'd also rather not have seen it. But there are many rivers in the Middle East (although none as big as the Mississippi! :lol: ): Israel, Jordan, Turkey. And of course the Tigris & Euphrates rivers from Turkey to Iraq. And of course the Nile in Egypt. So while there are rivers in arid regions, the width of this river is the wierd point (although the river in Israel where Jesus was baptized has several wide points, but it just doesn't go deeper than ankle or knee deep, except for the one area where the Baptists dug a pit to immerse parishoners seeking baptisms, but I'm digressing again).

I am not that sure about the Maul. When you have a walled city with a crossing river it is far easier to use the water way to smuggle stolen or forbidden goods in and out as to pass the gateway.
Waterways allow to transport more goods easily, especially in such a corrupted environnement.
So instead of using a caravan with many horses, mules or camels you can use just one boat.[/quote]
Yep, all good points, however, you have to consider who gets first call on resources, which is a big factor on how settlements develop, I don't think it's going to be the average inhabitant of the Maul. I'd imagine in Shadizar that certain deals get done to ensure the river is used for all the nefarious purposes you suggest, probably some adventure hooks in there somewhere...

Oh man, I just figured out why the River's in there: I figure they were thinking of the Arnold movie "Conan the Destroyer" where Conan & his friends are sneaking in through the hidden underground cave, under the waterfall, where Tracy Walter says, "My sister's brother's cousin never mentioned this" and eventually Grace Jones screams "Who cares whose sister's brother's cousin it is!" while Arnold's pulling the bars! God, what an awful movie. :lol:

Now that's a justifiable reason to put a river in a city if ever I heard of one, to accomodate a poorly written slapstick scene in a bad movie! :p

Seems reasonable to me that a major city in a barren area is built to take advantage of a local water supply and possible transportation route.
There may also be fish (and crocodiles) in the river, although I would not fish downstream of the city if I valued my health.

What is good is that everyone has his/her say to it but in the whole we find it much better than the previous one.
Now GM's don't have to be ashamed of showing to his players how Shadizar looks like.

I like the map enough, and trust Vincent's work (based on reading the free stuff he's put online for d20) that I'm considering getting the box set and I'm never going to run it!

Maybe at GenCon...

Back