Serenity/firefly RPG?

Allandaros said:
I assume you're going for the Washian definition of interesting here:

"Oh God, oh God, our wallets are all going to die"?

Well that, and watching all the Mongooses trying to talk where every other word was 'ain't' and 'shiny' :lol:

LBH

Allandaros said:
Where have you seen anything about Margaret Weis Productions abandoning Firefly?

Well, maybe nto abandoned as such, but when the last update to their product website was on January 12th, and many of their pages have remained remain "Content Coming Soon!" since the website went live... people can't help speculating.

Personally, I get the feeling that they're having some license wrangles at the moment. Add that to running their other business lines...

This is true...and worrying. But I have faith in MWeis Productions.

(They better come through - I heard an interview with Weis herself saying they were getting Tracy Hickman, he of Dragonlance AND Ravenloft, to write an adventure...so much shiny!)

Well according to the serenity rpg website, the GM screen isstill forthcoming, since it was released months ago, I think they might be ignoring the website rather than the product.

LBH

Locutus9956 said:
On that note, Westworld would be a cool setting for a roleplay :D (or better yet, Itchy and Scratchy world :p)

As a minor aside, what IS it with Micheal Chrichton and fancy theme parks gone wrong? Did he have a horrible experience at disney world as a child or something? :p

The idea of theme parks gone awry has kicked around in print for years. I cannot remembr the name at the moment ( curses! ), but there was a great cyberpunkish novel years ago based kind of around that theme.

On that note, a RPG based off Westworld, or anything similar would indeed rock, so long as they kept Yul Brenner intact. :D I mean, he was the reason I watched the movie in the first place!

Thenedain said:
The idea of theme parks gone awry has kicked around in print for years. I cannot remembr the name at the moment ( curses! ), but there was a great cyberpunkish novel years ago based kind of around that theme.

You're not thinking of Dream Park, by Larry Niven and Steve Barnes, are you?

There was even a roleplaying game of it...

Yup, that's the one! I actually had a copy of that very same RPG along with my Cyberpunk stuff from the 2nd edition. I seem to recall the RPG failing on a few levels, and not quite being as good as it could have been. It's been a quite a few years since I owned it, but I remember it being a bit of a letdown. I'd love to see another company take a crack at it.

I think Serenity/Firefly series would have been better if set out like SteamPunk universe. I am thinking of D&D computer game that was put out a few years back. Similar sort of universe, is what I had in mind. I am talking about the FireFly television show ( What little I have seen of it.) and not the Role Playing game which can only be as good as what it is based on. I haven't the Serenity movie either. But what I saw of Firefly seemed very very dull and uninteresting to me.

I thinking if a Sci-fi western was more like a Wesrtern and less like a poor mans version of Star Trek then it would become very interesting indeed.

There used to be televsion series, that I never caught the name of. Then there was a movie called 'Wild Wild West' with those poplular retrograde gadjets and giant mechanical arancnid. THough there are no Spaceships, atleast this type of show is a alot closer to what the other is trying to be.

Ohhhh, Firefly's anything but a "Poor Man's Version of Star Trek." In many ways, it's the antithesis of Trek. The "Alliance" are the antagonists of the show, there's no clearly delineated "good" and "evil", the ships are grungy and look like they're actually *used*...

I could go on, but there's not much point. All I can really say is that:
a) you should give the show another try,
b) the Western elements of Firefly are definitely in there
c) the Wild Wild West movie was an abomination upon the Earth, liken unto locusts or the Backstreet Boys
d) and all this is really becoming off-topic

I wonder what sort of propellant the guns used? The sound effects didn't much seem as if they were firing anything like we use today.

The good thing about Firefly is that the story line is not exhausted. You can write your own stories, and not worry too much about overlap. I dare say you have a free rein to do about any ol' thing you are a hanker'n to do, pardner (including very bad wild western dialogue).

One things for sure, bluffing, bravado, brawling and bushwacking have got to be high on the skill want list.

I'm afraid my players wouldn't get too far....too many planetary defense platforms to spoof once they've been found out....

dunderm said:
I wonder what sort of propellant the guns used? The sound effects didn't much seem as if they were firing anything like we use today.

Given that guns in TV and Movies sound nothing like real fire arms, this isn't a problem ;)

I've run a Serenity campaign before and I have to say that over-all, the mechanics work fine for what they're intended to do. The only problem I have is that Player-Ship interaction is a bit confusing and ship-to-ship combat is also a bit wonky.

What is great about the book is the vast amount of source material contained within the pages. I was a bit reluctant to pay $40 for the book, it being only around 225 pages, but they certainly filled it with just about everything you need know about the 'verse. I'm particularly pleased with the last three pages in the book which is a small dictonary of Chinese Mandarin swear words and phrases. Nothing like being able to call someone a "Home-Wrecking Tramp" in Mandarin! (It comes in useful in customer service, too!)

Also, the info on how the 'verse is set up is pretty useful, detailing several planets and ships.

If you're not a fan of the system, I still recommend picking up the book. The system is solid, but not fantastic. The only thing inovative about it is the use of plot points in order to allow player manipulation of a scene. Other than that it's your standard Attribute + Skill system. Personally, I think d6 Space would work just as well.

Oh, and if you want a wild "Theme Park" RPG, check out "Robots and Rapiers." It's the cat's banana.

lastbesthope said:
dunderm said:
Just watched the first three episodes tonight from the DVD. Right after Sgt. Mal shot down the Alliance ship with the AA gun, he found out that the leaders of the Independence had surrendered, and the last order was for them to put down their arms. The final scene of the battle was Malcolm watching the Alliance ships shooting up the helpless Independence troops on the ground, and the soldier beside him is shot also.

I always took that as just being a local surreender of the tropps on that planet, not necessarily the entire war.

LBH

Oh, oh, oh!

Watch the deleted sccenes from the film and series - the answer is in there :D

Basically, the troops on the ground fight on (I think they say for 2 weeks, not sure) after the order to surender the battle was given. The battle causes the Independants to surrender the war after its conclusion due to the loss of manpower, but soldiers keep dying as it takes a week for the peace treaty to be drawn up - and that's the source of Mals resentment.

He went in a sergeant with 30 men, in a few days so many officers are dead he's leading 5000, and 400 survive to the battles conclusion. But the injured keep dying, and only 150 make it out alive when they're finally evacuated after the peace is signed. Only Mal and Zoe are left from their platoon.

There you go LBH :wink:

Cheers Sneaky, what you say rings some bells, but I was right, the surrender order was the battle, not the war, not yet anyway.

LBH

To answer an earlier question, it shows in one of the deleted scenes that the Independents were basically finished after Serenity Valley. The Independent prisoners were basically left to starve for several months. Many survivors were due to the leadership of Sgt Reynolds, implying that he became something of a hero to the Independents, after his surrender.

Back