Serenity/firefly RPG?

To me, not only does it have a western flavor, it also has a touch of the US civil war, without the social stigma of slavery. With series titles like "Train Robbery and Bushwacked," you can't help but see the western leanings, IMO. Not to mention Cpt. Mal's pistol. Love it!

dunderm said:
Just watched the first three episodes tonight from the DVD. Right after Sgt. Mal shot down the Alliance ship with the AA gun, he found out that the leaders of the Independence had surrendered, and the last order was for them to put down their arms. The final scene of the battle was Malcolm watching the Alliance ships shooting up the helpless Independence troops on the ground, and the soldier beside him is shot also.

I always took that as just being a local surreender of the tropps on that planet, not necessarily the entire war.

LBH

The reason why I think it was the end of the war, is due in part to the fact that if the war had continued, Mal would have been, at least for a time, a POW. Nothing was ever mentioned about that. But, if the series had continued, perhaps something like that could have come up. We'll never know. But I'll stick with Mal being one of the last to give it up. :)

actualy personaly D20 modern Future is perfect for a Firefly style RPG.. a friend of mine is gona be using that on the whole in a Firefly style game using that...

If I recall correctly Joss Weadon said he got the idea for the series after reading The Killer Angles which is a novel about the last great battle of the American Civil War. That pretty much puts the origins in the realm of the western if not the execution. Since most of the heroes carry high tech six shooters and lever-action rifles, speak with noticable accents, and there's horses in the opening credits I'd have ta say we're talkin' space-western here pardner.

untill you get to the movie.. where the western aspect was all but gotten rid of....... and I did like the design of the Alliance spacecraft in the movie over the show.. and I love the show....

Well, the movie is an attempt to catch a broader audience. I'm not sure they did the right thing to drop out the western theme so much. There was also a more grimmer side to the movie, that wasn't in the series. But that is the usual case with a movie, it doesn't always have the same feel.

unfortunatly one of the reasons it never realy got a huge following even when we get past the TV company screwing it.. was the Western motiff.. aparantly many people didnt like the idea of future tech and western theme...

I'm sure the current license holder won't have the property for long. The main rule book is a complete shambles. Looks like the system was cooked up over a drunken weekend and proof-read by those darn Space Monkeys.

The publisher has also seeming abandoned support for the game.

Mongoose would be a fine home for Serenity/Firefly.

hogscape said:

For the record, we do kinda regret not going for the Firefly licence and going head-to-head with the Serenity RPG - it was possible, at the time. . .

hogscape said:
I'm sure the current license holder won't have the property for long. The main rule book is a complete shambles. Looks like the system was cooked up over a drunken weekend and proof-read by those darn Space Monkeys.

The publisher has also seeming abandoned support for the game.

'

1. Where have you seen anything about Margaret Weis Productions abandoning Firefly?
2. Are we thinking of the same rulebook here? I played through a session around New Years, and the rulebook I saw was a pretty nice one. And the system was gorram shiny - a lot better, to my admittedly biased view, than d20. :p

msprange said:
hogscape said:

For the record, we do kinda regret not going for the Firefly licence and going head-to-head with the Serenity RPG - it was possible, at the time. . .

Now that would have made for an interesting Open Day!

LBH

I assume you're going for the Washian definition of interesting here:

"Oh God, oh God, our wallets are all going to die"?

Allandaros said:
1. Where have you seen anything about Margaret Weis Productions abandoning Firefly?
2. Are we thinking of the same rulebook here? I played through a session around New Years, and the rulebook I saw was a pretty nice one. And the system was gorram shiny - a lot better, to my admittedly biased view, than d20. :p
I agree in full.

Oh, dear, I hate "me too" messages taking up space on Forums... :cry:

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Oh, dear, I hate "me too" messages taking up space on Forums... :cry:

Me too... erm, bum...

But yup, the Serenity RPG struck me as a very well produced (and indeed proof read...) product with a novel rules system that is just so full of potential (I may yet run B5 using it - d20/OGL really doesn't float my boat for the setting - sorry Mongoose, but I'll keep buying the books anyway :) )

On that note, Westworld would be a cool setting for a roleplay :D (or better yet, Itchy and Scratchy world :p)

As a minor aside, what IS it with Micheal Chrichton and fancy theme parks gone wrong? Did he have a horrible experience at disney world as a child or something? :p

Back