Scholars as NPCs

Altantean DM

Mongoose
After reading the RPG, I get the feeling that Scholars can make excellent evil bad dudes for PCs to scuffle. Especially with the Rule of Obsession. What if a Sorcerer suffered from an addiction to Opium? How would he regain his power and break the addiction cycle? Are there psychologists running around in Howard's Hyboria (not bloody likely)?

According to the rule of Obsession, the sorcerer must asborb the object of Obsession into himself. With Opium and other addictive chemical compounds this can turn into a vicious cycle. Take Opium, regain power through the High, cast spells, opium is flushed from the system, get a withdrawl, feel the obsession for Opium again, lose power. Once again, the sorcerer has to go and get more opium.

I say the Rule is broken and there has to be an alternative way to reclaim your power and break the obession. In any case, the example on the Rule of Obession was a bad example. Maybe good for Conan, but it reminded me of the Complete Psychic Warrior. >shudder<

Actually the example of a scholar addicted to the juice of the Lotus... er "poppy" plant :wink: is a perfect example of the Rule fo Obsession. He would most likely charter dangerous expeditions to the far corners of the earth in search of powerful and exotic breeds, attempt to breed his own strains with unpredictable side affects, research ancient "poppy"-lore, trip out overdose and crash repeatedly and, in the end, most likely die a horrible horrible death. 8)

I mean, lets face it, scholars are generally not well-adjusted people. The Rule of Obsession is meant to be one of the more dangerous traps they can fall into, it drives them to attempt risky (and most likely crazy) schemes that they might normally be too timid or cautious to attempt. And if a scholar should happen to be smart enough, fast enough and lucky enough to actually survive an obsession, then he becomes really dangerous. The rule is an occupational hazard, not a standard character building tool. :twisted:

argo said:
Actually the example of a scholar addicted to the juice of the Lotus... er "poppy" plant :wink: is a perfect example of the Rule fo Obsession. He would most likely charter dangerous expeditions to the far corners of the earth in search of powerful and exotic breeds, attempt to breed his own strains with unpredictable side affects, research ancient "poppy"-lore, trip out overdose and crash repeatedly and, in the end, most likely die a horrible horrible death. 8)

No, that's not the one. The obsession with the Poppy Plant is not in my Conan RPG, but the example of a Scholar that's obsessed with a King. Down right cannibalism in that one. :twisted:

On a better note, the whole RPG is very good. I'm so stoked that I think I will run a campaign.

I don't think the 'internalisation' of the obsession is intended to always result in the physical internalisation by cannibalism, although this is certainly an option. The example in the book does suggest this though.
I had read the passage as more of a way of bringing the obsession to a natural end, so that it cannot continue.

In the case of Lotus/Opium (which I think was the parrallel drawn by Argo) this would certainly not end the obsession, in fact it serves to further the obsession by continuing the sorceror's addiction. In this case, I'm not sure how could be ended, it is a very dangerous obsession for that reason.

With the king, I would perhaps rule that the sorceror could finish by sacrificing the king to gain power points for a mighty spell which would result in the sorceror becoming the ruler of Koth in his stead, thus bringing the obsession full circle, as he started off owing allegiance to the king.

The point I'm trying to make is that an obsession will find a natural end by using that obsession to further the sorceror's aims in one final, fell swoop.

Just my interpretation perhaps.

Back