Sandcasters and Particle Beams

branford

Mongoose
Do sandcasters offer any protection against particle beams, or are they only effective against lasers?

Thanks.

To be honest, as far as I have found the inconsistent and imprecise wording leaves this open to discussion. (So I won't give my opinion). Hopefully more concrete, explicit examples exist...

According to Core pg 111 '...dispense small particles which counteract the strength of lasers ... reduces the damage from a beam weapon...' and pg 149 ' '... beam attacks...'.

In HG on pg 49-50 Chaff/Peebles/Sandcutter rounds are covered - with mention of '...in concert with a beam attack' for Sandcutter rounds which '... halves the protection offered by a sand cloud.', along with these special rounds not protecting '... against laser fire.'.

HG pg 74 does state '... protects against incoming laser attacks and missile attacks ...'

Neither of these explicitly states Particle Beam (and HG uses fusion beam nomenclature elsewhere) and Pulse Lasers are differentiated from Beam Lasers in Core.

CT HG stated (pg 18 in my edition) that sandcasters '...interferes with incoming laser or energy weapon fire.' Where energy weapons did not include Particle Accelerators, Meson Guns or Missles - but are Plasma and Fusion Guns.

(Use this as a game definition - not equal in the RW since basically lasers are energy weapons (Bosons = photons = force carrier) while Particle Beams are sub-atomic matter weapons (Fermionic Hadrons = protons, neutrons, etc = matter constituents). [Photons having zero 'rest-mass' as opposed to other particles, excepting the Gluon exchange 'particle' which still has 'binding mass'.])

Excellent analysis. Unfortunately, absent an errata or other response by the powers that be, the answer is as elusive as before.

Make a decision that you can live with and use it in your game.

If you think Sand could interfere with a Particle Beam, let it. If you don't think it would work, don't.

Personally, I have never let Sand affect a Particle Beam weapon, but it certainly could be possible.

You are the Referee, make a call. There is no wrong answer here.

Yep, as I stated above - CT Book 5 (HG) wording only covers laser and energy weapons - which are explicitly defined in it. Therefore, in CT Sandcasters were ineffective against Particle Accelerators according to everything I read.

MgT has a different definition and characteristics for its 'Particle Beam' weapons and a different ship combat. The use of the word 'beam' certainly clouds the picture. It appears to be interchanging 'laser' and 'beam' as synonymous, but the use appears to be inconsistent and leads to ambiguity.

IMHO, since this is a question of game balance more so than simply author's license, it should have a better answer than - 'whatever you choose...' Specifically, a weapon with no defense other than black globe tech should have some balancing cost/mass/usage restrictions - otherwise the other weapons would fall out of use...

I don't think it's helpful to bring up CT references here. Presumably the OP is asking about MGT, so answers should stick to what MGT says (or implications thereof).

Mongoose does have a "Rulemasters" forum here which is for asking rule questions, maybe you'd be better off asking that sort of thing there?

EDG said:
I don't think it's helpful to bring up CT references here. Presumably the OP is asking about MGT, so answers should stick to what MGT says (or implications thereof).
I tend to agree - but so often CT rules are brought up I prefer to point them out as such to help avoid the confusion...

EDG said:
Mongoose does have a "Rulemasters" forum here which is for asking rule questions, maybe you'd be better off asking that sort of thing there?
I've missed that too! Thanks!

EDG said:
IMongoose does have a "Rulemasters" forum here which is for asking rule questions, maybe you'd be better off asking that sort of thing there?

Unfortunatly the "Rulemasters" forum is usually not answered. :( I wish they (whom ever "they" are) would actually answer these queries.

BP said:
I tend to agree - but so often CT rules are brought up I prefer to point them out as such to help avoid the confusion...

I appreciate the intent, but I think Matt has said that he wants MGT to stand alone as much as possible and to be self-consistent. I think bringing in older rules is just going to cause more confusion if people ask "but it said that then, why does it say this (or not say this) now?". You only have to look at the insanity that has erupted elsewhere over changes that Mongoose have made to Traveller with their new edition to see how harmful that can be.

BP said:
IMHO, since this is a question of game balance more so than simply author's license, it should have a better answer than - 'whatever you choose...' Specifically, a weapon with no defense other than black globe tech should have some balancing cost/mass/usage restrictions - otherwise the other weapons would fall out of use...
Are you saying that particle beam weapons have no defence, other than black globes? What about armour?

I'm personally with Rikki Tikki Traveller on this one: if you think that sand can block or affect a particle beam, more power to you. I on the other hand don't think sandcasters would be at all effective, and I'm afraid I haven't read anything so far suggesting they would from a rules point of view. So IMTU to answer the OP, I don't think you can use sandcasters to protect against a particle beam attack. Just up-armour your spacecraft and you should be all right. :)

BP said:
(Use this as a game definition - not equal in the RW since basically lasers are energy weapons (Bosons = photons = force carrier) while Particle Beams are sub-atomic matter weapons (Fermionic Hadrons = protons, neutrons, etc = matter constituents). [Photons having zero 'rest-mass' as opposed to other particles, excepting the Gluon exchange 'particle' which still has 'binding mass'.])

Nice ! Translation - sand reflects and to a lesser extent is a heat sink (as it melts). Particles bat them out of the way, or pass straight thru; although there may be some heat transfer, it's bound to be trivial.Sand is essentially a big mirror to reflect light; and particles are kinetic damage delivery that takes full advantage of the Vsquared part of momentum: (M*V^2) smaaaaal mass, biiiiiiiig velocity....SMASH !

Can we get a official Mongoose Pub answer to the question just to get what their official stance is on the issue?

Penn

Bygoneyrs said:
Can we get a official Mongoose Pub answer to the question just to get what their official stance is on the issue?

Penn

They have a separate forum for that [THE RULEMASTERS], so probably not here.

Unfortunately atpollard, that was brought up earlier...

cbrunish said:
EDG said:
IMongoose does have a "Rulemasters" forum here which is for asking rule questions, maybe you'd be better off asking that sort of thing there?

Unfortunatly the "Rulemasters" forum is usually not answered. :( I wish they (whom ever "they" are) would actually answer these queries.

I don't know how true it is, since I don't bother with the rulesmasters. If there is a discrepancy, I decide for myself and don't worry about the "official" version. If it is later clarified, then I will change what I have done, or not, depending on how well I like their explanation. This is NOT a criticism of anyone, I just tend not to worry as much as some do about "canon". It must be all that time I played Traveller before there was an Official Traveller Universe.... (does that make me old???)

Back