Sandcaster PD v Missiles

iggy42

Mongoose
In previous versions of traveller (just checked my copy of MegaT) sandcasters could be used as point defense against missiles. I imagine a giant shotgun being fairly effective in that role.

I notice in MGT core book that lasers PD vs missiles, and sand is PD against beam - is this a change / ommission? Tempted to allow sand v missiles.

I haven't got hold of HG yet so not sure if its in there.

PS Finally cracked and brought the core book (obviously), then Spinward, then 760 patrons, and then T&G. So much for never buying another paper RPG...

Are you thinking of the sand refracting the beam used for targetting a laser-guided missile or the sand actually destroying or damaging the missile? If you're talking about using the sand to refract the laser, it might be slightly less effective than a PDL (Point Defense Laser, to borrow the term from Andromeda). The difficulty lies in targeting, even with fire control programs running.

If you're thinking of using the sand to destroy or damage the missile, I would think you would have to time the detonation of the container so that it went off when the missile was close enough. Hopefully the blast would disrupt its flight path, damage its sensors with the burst of sand, etc. Simply firing off a barrel of sand and hoping the sand itself damages the missile is far from effective due to the dispersion. This complicates things even more because you're not just worried about targeting, but also timing. All of this is assuming there's a timer on the barrel that detonates it once the ship is a certain distance away or after so many seconds/minutes of travel.

Does anybody know, could such things be set or jury-rigged?

Pax et bonum,

Dale

In theory, under earlier versions, passing thru sand caused damage to a missile directly - essentially ablating it away.

If its gone, its probably becuase it was either overlooked, or, as the nature of sand became better defined, it was decided that it was particulalry easy to harden missles against it -and with the sandcutter rounds, that's not a half bad argument.

Now, Pebbles, on the other hand........

Certainly when I was reviewing the HG combat rules this was one of the changes I proposed to both the standard ship and capital ship rules.

I have no idea about the official thinking, but most of the Traveller rules are a "rock, paper, scissors" type of relationship ... the old 'sand' was too effective, an omni-defense, that seriously devalued missiles (which had to hit, survive the sand, and survive the lasers before it could impact).

‘Lasers stop missiles’ and ‘sand stops lasers’ is more balanced.

I allow sandcasters to do point defense fire against missiles. Yes, this reduces the effectiveness of missiles - but I accept that. If I think it makes it unbalanced, then I'll try giving missiles a damage bonus if they do hit to balance it out.

Back