S & P 72. What did you think?

I just downloaded S & P 72, and I'm hugely impressed by the whole package. What does the rest of the world (i.e. the forum) think?

i've just downloaded and skimmed thru it and so far i like it. i always find something useful in s&p and the price is right too :wink:

the new look starting with 71 is great and i appreciate charlie's professionalism, writing the editorial with a cracked head :cry: hope she feels better soon :!:

I love the new format - it is fun to read and looks great! Now they just need to add some Conan material.

It's a lot more printer and reader friendly which is good, whole thing is cleaner and clearer. Three column text of computer screen is still a bad idea even though more monitors will display whole page at a time at 100%. S&P is delivered online and really ought to prioritise online reading.

Anyway, in my time of reading S&P, it's the most user-friendly layout yet so that's something.

No mistake, directly from Joe Dever - it's Anskavern, with an r.

2009/8/17 Joe Dever
- Hide quoted text -

Anskavern

...with an 'r'

One of the first things that I double-checked with Joe, was the very name.

However, the article about France is... ahem... just complete fantasy, seriously.

like pretedning that Barabrians of Lemuria and Mahamoth are the most popular games (or among them) is totally not representative of the french RPG community, IMO.

And the beautiful mini map of France is... well it represents one half of the country.

Same thing for the "highest rate of asylum".

Well, speaking about a foreign country an its culture in two pages is not easy, I understand that, but this article is mainly fantasy.

Barbarians of lemuria and Mahamoth are classified as 'home-grown' games and they are indeed popular (even if they are not as popular as D&D) !!

To be honest I've never heard of these games either in my 25+ years of gaming, nor does any of my friend gamers. So the term "popular" seems also to me a little overstated. But there's as many gamers as there are games after all...

Barbarians of lemuria is a little systemes hat many people use for games such as conan for exemple. Personally I do not use it but i have Mahamoth and I think it is still available for free here :

http://legrumph.org/2009/08/mahamoth.html

nifty space and sorcery game

Pascalahad said:
To be honest I've never heard of these games either in my 25+ years of gaming, nor does any of my friend gamers. So the term "popular" seems also to me a little overstated. But there's as many gamers as there are games after all...

As Mahamoth and BoL are 1 year old at most, the point "25+ years" is not relevant ;)

Barbarians of Lemuria is not a french game, but an american one that has been translated and re-illustrated by a french team (Grümph for the illus).
Mahamoth is a french game that was created through a ransom process.

Both have been talked at great length in the french web communities (CasusNO, Antonio Bay, SDEN, etc). As you're a french gamer who uses the web, not having heard of them really surprises me. However, the web communities about rpg is just a small fraction of the french gamers...

Speaking of which...
If anyone needs info (about any roleplaying game) in french :
Mahamoth : http://www.legrog.org/jeu.jsp?id=2690
BoL : http://www.legrog.org/jeu.jsp?id=2670

greuh, GRoG admin

Mongoose Sand said:
Barbarians of lemuria and Mahamoth are classified as 'home-grown' games and they are indeed popular (even if they are not as popular as D&D) !!

Oh please!

BoL and Mahamoth are recent trendy games amongst the online RPG community, agreed.
The point is your article seems to imply these are the biggest "home grown" games, ie French, while you completely ignore the big names of French RPG (and there are some). They may be the biggest equivalent of "indie" french games and your article seems to imply they are the main French games!
That is what is complete fantasy: You give no real view of French RPG when there is much to be said (appart from a couple of trendy indie games)

You seemed to have forgotten, for example, at the top of my hat:

Amonst older popular games:
* INS/MV, translated (and modified) as In Nominae in the US I believe.
* Reve de Dragon.

Amongst the recent more modern games:
* Polaris, a underwater postapocalyptic SF
9961.jpg

* Pavillon Noir, a historical Pirate game.
* Qin, which I believe has been translated into English

And the list goes on...

Please next time try to make an effort and actually talk about games which are really widely played in the countries in question! (of course not as much as D&D, as usual, but easily more that Mahamoth and company)

zanwot said:
Amonst older popular games:
* INS/MV, translated (and modified) as In Nominae in the US I believe.
Modified a lot, at least to make a catholic game into a protestant one. Game system was changed, notion of "choir/band" was added. Background was changed sufficiently so you can say the two are different games. IN US is just a Nephilim-like, in fact. No more, no less.

Nephilim is also one of the games translated into englis (by Chaosium). It has received the same "let's change it completely for anglosaxon public" but US supplements for Nephilim are interesting.

* Reve de Dragon.
Translated as "Rêve : the dream ouroboros". Translation case less known because it's pdf/lulu.com It even has a supplement.

* Qin, which I believe has been translated into English
Yup, by Cubicle 7

It's a Mongoose magazine. Of course they are going to talk about Mongoose products rather than list a whole load of non-Mongoose games, can you blame them? I doubt any free magazines produced by any other RPG companies would even list any games by any other companies!

If they are top (or near the top) of some chart, no matter how obscure or contrived, then their claims are true. Barbarians of Lemuria is the number one game with the initials "BOL"? Well it might not be representative of the French gaming scene but you can't claim it's not true. The article is trying to say where Mongoose gets its market share from, not to describe the entire scene.

Back