S&P 36 Damage Tables

Malakor said:
Richard said:
. . .
Shortswords cannot be set against a charge!
. . ..

Sure they can! I keep encouraging my players to try it :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Excuse me, sir. I'd like to buy a set of shortswords. Preferable something about 22 inches long in the Gladius Hispaniensis line. Ivory pommels would be nice. :wink:

I downloaded the SRD and I was further put off by the lower lethality of the combat.

However, I've looked at the S&P 36 weapon tables... and I like the "Lethal" option a lot! Combat actually looks potentially fun and meaningful (not to be entered into lightly, or by the weak of heart) using those tables. Which I like. Definitely a plus for MRQ.

Since we're being ultras completist about damage possibilities I was fondly reminded of the CORE Traveller skirmish supplement, At Close Quarters, :) which included weapon and damage listings for Adelie and Emperor penguins! The Adelie was small enough to chuck as a missile weapon! Adelie Penguin 1-H, 1d4, 5 Enc, Thrown Range 5m. Emperor Penguin 2-H 1d6. Beaks can impale! Handy for Ice Trolls...

atgxtg said:
Okay, here is a close combat weapon table based upon RQ3 data. Stuff that is is red italics is stuff that wasn't in RQ3, but that I trtied to extrapolate data for.

120fs192063.png

Thanks for the table atgxtg.

One thing I still miss in RQ3-4 is the way warhammers are handled. The reason why those spikey things (I have inspected a lot of them in the big medieval weapon collection of the "Grazer Zeughaus") have been introduced was the need to get past heavy armor, nothing else.

In RQ3-4 this weapon is just another one which do the same damage to armored and unarmored opponents alike. It seems that noone of those "designers" did their research.

Thats why I suggest to do give the warhammer the special ability to go through armor. This means the feature "armor-piercing" which halves the worn armor of the target if hit by a warhammer (or other AP weaponry)

True enough Enpeze. The tables, or at least atgxtg's revised tables + my modifications, make sense for general combat gaming. However none of this really goes into the individual quirks of each weapon, not only warhammers but rapiers, polearms etc. I don't think we can really have a go at the designers on this. They'll have issues of convenience, space and playability to consider.
It may be something that develops in further supplements or that you tailor to your own campaign. The Roman weapon information contributed earlier in this thread (I think!) is a good example. Weapon types could all have special features to distinguish them such as Strike Rank modifiers (A part of RQ3 which could easily be carried though successfully to MRQ), parry/block use modifiers, special armour effects etc.
A warhammer is given hefty damage in the rules for a 1-H weapon. For a generalised damage table I'd reduced it to 1d8 to avoid outclassing warswords etc. A more realistic and complete description might read: War hammer, 1-H Hammer, 1d8, ENC 2 AP/HP 3/8, 150SP, This weapon will impale on a critical hit and halves the effectiveness (Round down) of any metal armour worn by the opponent, -3 to SR when using. So it's a little slower to swing and reposition than a typical 1-H weapon, not particularily great for damaging unarmoured foes but the pay off is it's ability to punch through heavy armour. Plate Mail would only count as 3pts for instance. Hmm, should probably increase the price a bit...

Richard said:
Since we're being ultras completist about damage possibilities I was fondly reminded of the CORE Traveller skirmish supplement, At Close Quarters, :) which included weapon and damage listings for Adelie and Emperor penguins! The Adelie was small enough to chuck as a missile weapon! Adelie Penguin 1-H, 1d4, 5 Enc, Thrown Range 5m. Emperor Penguin 2-H 1d6. Beaks can impale! Handy for Ice Trolls...

:shock: :shock:

I wanna play a duck weilding a two-handed penguin.

Enpeze said:
Thanks for the table atgxtg.

You are welcome. I'm doing up 3 or 4 others to see which one fits best for my Roman Campaign notes. One interesting thing is that with these damagfes and especially the AP scores, the combat becomes a lot more RQ3-ish.

Enpeze said:
One thing I still miss in RQ3-4 is the way warhammers are handled. The reason why those spikey things (I have inspected a lot of them in the big medieval weapon collection of the "Grazer Zeughaus") have been introduced was the need to get past heavy armor, nothing else.

In RQ3-4 this weapon is just another one which do the same damage to armored and unarmored opponents alike. It seems that noone of those "designers" did their research.

Thats why I suggest to do give the warhammer the special ability to go through armor. This means the feature "armor-piercing" which halves the worn armor of the target if hit by a warhammer (or other AP weaponry)

Well, I did make it implaeing to relfect it going through armor, but that really doesn't mean that much anymore. Making them AP isn't too bad an idea, but might make them a little overpowering compared to other weapons, but not that much.

I'm seriously considering bringing back the old impale rules and special knockback rules for my Roman stuff. Can swipe from Harn and just use the "5"s and "0"s rule (any succes ending in 5 or 0 is an implate).

One thing I just noticed: in the "Extra Lethal" weapons table, the AP/HP of weapons has not increased. I wonder if that was intentional? There would be lots of broken weapons in that case.

atgxtg said:
Well, I did make it implaeing to relfect it going through armor, but that really doesn't mean that much anymore. Making them AP isn't too bad an idea, but might make them a little overpowering compared to other weapons, but not that much.

I'm seriously considering bringing back the old impale rules and special knockback rules for my Roman stuff. Can swipe from Harn and just use the "5"s and "0"s rule (any succes ending in 5 or 0 is an implate).

Give it the following weapon trait then (it should probably be applied to other weapons as well);

Armor Piercing
In an impaling hit, this weapon is capable of penetrating any armor worn by the target. In effect it ignores all APs on the hit location, except those granted by magical means.

Back