Runes and the Gods

All I seem to be doing is talking/typing about Runes..

Wasn't the Undead rune (like the ice rune) dropped once and resurrected as the 'Hunger' Rune, which became associated with Uz.

Sorry completely at a tangent there....

Paul

Exubae said:
Wasn't the Undead rune (like the ice rune) dropped once and resurrected as the 'Hunger' Rune, which became associated with Uz.

It wasn't dropped, just renamed. It has nothing to do with Uz, and in fact the renaming has if anything made things worse because a lot of people assume that Hunger must be an Uz rune. In fact it represents spiritual hunger, whereas Uz hunger is just old fashioned munchiness.

Simon Hibbs

Still it sounds like a definate child the Darkness rune, like Cold and Shadow.

So It can be assumed that Undeath is 'Hunger' marked by chaos, a hunger beyond fullfilling, an enternal pouring of spirit into the void :)

Shouldn't it also be associated with theft?

simonh said:
soltakss said:
So, Runes can define some of the nature of the god, but they play a minor role.

I think that's going a bit far. Does the fact that Humakt is a Death god have a minor role in his worship, his myths, or the powers he gives?

Simon Hibbs

Well, Humakt is odd because he owns Death and took Death itself.

Other Death Gods are not so well defined. Look at Hunter Gods (Foundchild, Zong etc) they have Death but are not particularly defined by it. Yelorna has Death and it is a very minor part of her cult. Yelm has Death and it is a very secondary part of his worship, except as a warrior.

These gods have the Death Rune, but first and foremost they have their own characteristics. The Death Rune is almost secondary. So, hunter gods kill things and Yelorna can kill things, but not in the same way as Humakt does.

Arkat said:
They already seem to have changed Orlanth into 'Storm King' for some unfathomable reason.
Never heard of Orlanth Rex? ;) :twisted:

This is from the RQ2 rulebook:
Orlanth's cult is extensive...
In general, three forms of the god are recognized...
Orlanth Rex is the King of the Gods and is worshipped by chieftains and nobles and poets

soltakss said:
Other Death Gods are not so well defined. Look at Hunter Gods (Foundchild, Zong etc) they have Death but are not particularly defined by it.

Hunting isn't defined by death. Right. And there was I thinking it was realy pretty fundamental.

Yelorna has Death and it is a very minor part of her cult. Yelm has Death and it is a very secondary part of his worship, except as a warrior.

I've never read the Yelorna writep, but from what I've ehard of it, I wouldn't realy take it as being particularly authoritative.

These gods have the Death Rune, but first and foremost they have their own characteristics. The Death Rune is almost secondary. So, hunter gods kill things and Yelorna can kill things, but not in the same way as Humakt does.

They're still just as dead.

Sigtrygg said:
Never heard of Orlanth Rex? ;) :twisted:

This is from the RQ2 rulebook:
Orlanth's cult is extensive...
In general, three forms of the god are recognized...
Orlanth Rex is the King of the Gods and is worshipped by chieftains and nobles and poets

Actually the Storm King would be more closely tied with Orlanth Thunderous, not Orlanth Rex or Orlanth Adventerous. I am quite familiar with Orlanth and RQ2 which is why I'm a little miffed at renaming what I consider a staple to Glorantha.

Back