Should Mongoose update Runequest

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tabularasa

Mongoose
Clearly, there are lot's of bits and bobs rule-wise lying all around the place. Time to tiddy up a little bit and maybe re-write some of the clunkiest aspects of combat system.

Now, with the number of disapointed players with the 4th edition of D&D, I am sure that there is some market share to be won there.

with the release of CHOASIUMS brp - ITS TIME TO MAYBE WORK A AGREEMENT WITH THEM!
The best and only true universal system on the market< burn gurps burn!>
is the Basic role playing system!

time to anticapate the movement!
honestly The fans of BRP HAVE AND ARE SOME OF THE MOST EDUCATED AND LOYAL fans out thier ! - look and CoC!
D 20 was a revolutionizing system and 4e will draw even morep layers in to a very popular title, but when those players mature they well move on! where do they move too?
BRP I can only hope!
so how about taking the intuitive and converting or adding to RQ to the BRP stuff! I mean Damn I have been in the hobbie Longer then most on this board have been alive, i have seen a lot of fads and revolutions in the hobbies!
I am getting pretty good and anticapating the movement of this hobbie!
There is still more old school gamers then new one currently!
they have bigger incomes and want and spend more for old school systems!
go to e-bay see for your self!

time TO UPDATE RQ before you miss the mark WITH A KLANKY RQ

Heropoints, Legendary Abilities and the lack of general Hit Points are the great plus of MRQ, but a lot of other changes haven´t made RQ better than BRP, but only different.

Time to try to get both systems in line again!

Cheers

Osentalka

weasel_fierce said:
area_51_games2 said:
D 20 was a revolutionizing system
I have a hard time finding anything in D20 that wasn't stolen from another game.
Absolutely true.
Skills are borrowed from the BRPG and feats from RPGs like Earthdawn.

The King said:
weasel_fierce said:
area_51_games2 said:
D 20 was a revolutionizing system
I have a hard time finding anything in D20 that wasn't stolen from another game.
Absolutely true.
Skills are borrowed from the BRPG and feats from RPGs like Earthdawn.

Of course, the implementation in d20 might still be revolutionary.

(For the record, I think d20 did revolutionize D&D although not RPGs in general)

Cowboy said:
Of course, the implementation in d20 might still be revolutionary.

(For the record, I think d20 did revolutionize D&D although not RPGs in general)
Under this view you're quite right. IMO lacking true skills was a great problem in AD&D. However I think the D20 rules became overcomplicated to calculate feats, skills points, etc. , at each new level progression and became more a support for mini combat rules than pure RPG.
In this way I prefer AD&D.

I'd like to see more Stuff to come out before MRQ is up dated I've put out quite a bit of money on this system, (It's worth every penny and more), and I'm happy with what I've got. Shelling out for everything all over again would not make my mortgage happy.

Apart from that, it's so utterly superior to D&D 4ed that it will gain market share anyway!

Finally. I've just got my gaming group really into MRQ Elric/Hawkmoon. Which was as easy as giving sweets to children actually. So any changes would have to be minor rule corrections and new ideas more than substance as we're all happy bunnies with the current situation :D

Our group is moving ever further from d20, we've got from ages 18 to 42 playing and I think everyone now preferes MRQ, with some work we've used MRQ for everything from vikings to modern spec ops, westerns to horrors. With house rules and common sense I think we don't need a new edition for a while yet.

am I the only one to read in the state of the mongoose that 2010 could see some very good news for Runequest.

Publish a pocket compendium of rules in 2009 followed by a new set of rules in 2010?

Tabularasa said:
am I the only one to read in the state of the mongoose that 2010 could see some very good news for Runequest.

Publish a pocket compendium of rules in 2009 followed by a new set of rules in 2010?

No, I'm very excited about the plans for RuneQuest, especially the plans to expand work on Hawkmoon, Elric, and Nehwon. It sounds like there won't be as much Glorantha stuff in 2009, but I'm still trying to catch up with what's already been published anyways.

Hi,

As I see it MRQ needs a tidy up in general, especially the Magic Chapters. With Glorantha being the core setting for the game system then there is a need to make the Magic System more compatible with Greg Stafford's vision.

1) Shamanism needs detailing for players of primitive characters. If Rune Magic is to be used then it needs to be tidied up a lot.

2) Divine Magic - This needs resolving to ensure that the power of the spells is compatible with those of Rune Magic/Shamanism, frex the limitations of the Lightning Strike Spell compared to the deadly Skybolt. Priests need to have some advantage of initiates etc.

3) Sorcery seems to be uber powerful compared to the over magic schools and cheap to use.

It would be nice to see Mysticism or Kai Powers added to the core rules to broaden the spectrum.

Combat needs a degree of declunking, perhaps we need to have some characters reduced to a Goon status to enable quicker combat.

Simon

I agree that Magic needs to be tidied up to fit in with Greg Stafford's vision of Glorantha (its his world, after all). Myths need to be more prominent, as portrayed in HeroQuest.

Totally agree with opponents being 'Goons/Mooks" unless they are central to the drama and action. Combat can be more cinematic at times, and gritty at others, depending upon the GM. This concept works very well with games such as True20 and Savage Worlds, and it would certainly be an improvement to RQ.

area_51_games2 said:
with the release of CHOASIUMS brp - ITS TIME TO MAYBE WORK A AGREEMENT WITH THEM!
I voted "no" because it's too early to undergo a total overhaul. Too much revision too quickly and fans will resent having to keep re-buying the same stuff over and over. That's part of the complaint that gamers had with D&D's 3E and 3.5 which came out so quickly in succession.

Having said all that, it does seem odd that two companies would be doing competing game systems which are so similar. The RQ and BRP systems are based on the same foundation, and that rules set has been used for a long time with CoC and other games with a lot of success. Why compete when it might be possible to collaborate on common core rules and them let each company focus on their setting books.

Perhaps Mongoose and Chaosium could put together an overseeing committee equally represented by both companies to compare the rules sets and make a common product. If you like, each company could print and sell copies with its own logo on it with the understanding that both sets of rules would be the same thing.

Or maybe I'm being unrealistic. It's probably hard enough to get members of the same developing team to agree on a final version, let alone to hope that two seperate developing teams could ever come together to agree. :(

How about this idea,

Mongoose Pub should just buy Choasium (BRP) and then offer revamp RQ using both set of rules but heavier on the BRP set.

Penn

I don't want to see endless overhauls of systems. Its naive to assume that there would be no issues with a new version, and so it goes on and on. A common scenario - RQ V comes out, theres some issues, again, with the parts of the combat system, theres an update on the website, so it becomes MRQ V version v.2, etc., etc., then someone thinks that it would be a good idea to 'clean the whole thing up' and it starts again.

I can deal with the options as they are, I don't need yet another version of the rules. (See Paranoia section for discussion of yet another, expensive, pointless update of the rules).

Morgan d'Barganfore said:
I'm new to this - what's RQV ?? I've only just encountered RQII...

Technically RQII is the fifth published edition of RuneQuest. So the answer to the poll seems to have been "yes" 8)

Back