Runequest Modern: Tales of the Association

Utgardloki

Mongoose
I just got the Runequest rulebook, but I don't have all the Glorantha books yet. I also think that my group might be a little bit tired of dark ages campaigns. I know that I would appreciate a change of pace.

As I looked over the rules, I came to the conclusion that this might be the best system for an idea I've had for a while, called "Tales of the Association". This campaign is based on the 1970s TV shows. (All the TV shows I care to incorporate.)

The PCs work for a company called Monroe Associates, which is run by a beautiful and wealthy blond woman named Jill Monroe. The PCs are not superheroes, but there are a few known superheroes operating in the United States, including Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, the Incredible Hulk, Isis, and Electra-Woman and Dyna Girl. The superheroes Batman, Robin and Batgirl have not been seen in some years. Superheroes like the Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man are not known to the general public.

One of the things I will have to do is come up with rules for guns. If anybody else has been using the Runequest rules for a modern setting or has ideas to, I'd be interested in reading them.

Utgardloki said:
One of the things I will have to do is come up with rules for guns. If anybody else has been using the Runequest rules for a modern setting or has ideas to, I'd be interested in reading them.

Check out call of Cthulhu (not the D20 version). It has comprehensive firearm rules and stats for 1990s, 1920s and 1890s firearms. You should be able to pick up a recent, but not back up to date edition fairly cheaply. Anything from 5th edition onwards is an excellent purchase if you like RQ-derived game mechanics. It will also give you an excellent head start on character generation.

Simon Hibbs

I'm planning of firearms being in my game. I've been looking at the CoC stats. I'm conscidering borrowing a rule from AD&D 2E & have damage dice for guns be open ended. So if I have a pistol that does 2D6, & I roll a 6 on either/both die/dice, I keep adding & rolling damage until I no longer get a max total (6) in this case.

Dr. Halflight said:
I'm planning of firearms being in my game. I've been looking at the CoC stats. I'm conscidering borrowing a rule from AD&D 2E & have damage dice for guns be open ended. So if I have a pistol that does 2D6, & I roll a 6 on either/both die/dice, I keep adding & rolling damage until I no longer get a max total (6) in this case.

That'll definitely put people down. :)

We'll also have firearm rules in a yet to be formally announced RQ product. We plan on keeping them fairly close to the existing combat mechanics though, and just changing/updating where needed.

Hyrum.

Dr. Halflight said:

In Call of Cthulhu a special success (one fifth of your skill percentage) does double damage, and the weapon damage dice are scaled to take that into account. MRQ doesn't do that, only yielding maximum rollable damage on a critical success.

I would think open ended rolling would work fine as well.

Simon hibbs

simonh said:
Check out call of Cthulhu (not the D20 version). It has comprehensive firearm rules and stats for 1990s, 1920s and 1890s firearms...

Simon Hibbs

"Sanity is a sawn off shotgun" - Frank Glup :wink: :D

Mitch

It seemed like a good idea at the time, especially as I was watching Charlie's Angels. (The original TV series with Kate Jackson, Jaqueline Smith and Farrah Fawcett Majors.) I started daydreaming about them, and next thing I know I think it's a good idea to start a RPG based in the 1970s, where all the 1970s TV characters are real. (Just the live-action TV characters -- not the cartoons.)

But now I am thinking, how do I bring the 1970s alive? The 1970s were an era like our own, but unlike our own. And some of the younger players might not even have been born then, and might not have the familiarity gained from watching countless TV shows from that era.

Having a -4 modifier for female's Size is one step. A more realistic campaign would probably have a -2 modifier for female humans. But we all know how realistic TV shows are.

Any other ideas?

Back