RuneQuest: Legendary Heroes

WildHealer

Mongoose
Hi all,

First, can I say I'm definitely excited by the upcoming Mongoose release of RuneQuest. I've been a Glorantha-phile for much, much longer than I care to remember, and am looking forwards to seeing what's been done to the updated RQ rules. Plus of course Second Age material - yikes!

I noticed "RuneQuest: Legendary Heroes" advertised on Amazon.com. I was wondering if Matthew could give us a taster of what this contains - the blurb suggests it's for "higher-level" PCs. Would this be of the "what to do after you become a Rune Lord" variety? ie, hero questing, otherworld abilities, etc? If the old RuneQuest fell down anywhere it was this area - which Issaries' HeroQuest attempts to address, but IMHO by losing a lot of the graininess and gritty flavour which made RQ shine so much. It would be great to hear what this supplement is about - will we be seeing heroquest-type stuff fitted to the RQ rules at last?

Thanks to Mongoose for all the good work - looks really promising, can hardly wait till July! (HINT: where's that PDF teaser, Matthew? :) )

Sarah

As Matthew is dealing with other stuff it seems elsewhere on the Forum right now, I'll drop in here and tell ya a litte bit of what I'm up to with Legendary Heroes (as the guy penning it).

Well, it is a sort of 'What you can do to make myth/history with your Player Character" book about VERY high-powered characters, combined with a really neat Mass Combat system so you can run your own Runequest version of something say, as big as the War of the Ring, or maybe just a character versus an army (Aragorn, anyone?).

Anyway, I really can't go into the thick of it yet...as it is still a work in progress, but I am having a lot of fun making this come together and I think it is gonna really shine as a fun new way to play Runequest when it is all finished up.

I'll let Matthew take over from here...when he gets a chance. :)

Thanks for sharing some interest, and welcome aboard!

Bry

Hi Bry,

That does sound very interesting indeed! I think particularly the "one guy takes on an army" approach is definitely a winner with RuneQuest, and in particular with high-level Glorantha campaigns. I can understand this still being a work in progress, but any ideas you can share would be great. I'm particularly intrigued to hear your thoughts on high-level magic and "extra-planar" activity (ie for Glorantha, mucking around in the Underworld, Hero Plane, etc). Also - although we don't know yet how the new RuneQuest is going to approach the topic of Runes and "Runic affiliation" (for want of a better expression), it would be cool to hear your thoughts on how that might feel in the game. One of the things which seemed to be a running assumption in previous editions of RQ was that as characters got more powerful they developed closer relationships with the Runes which their patron deities (etc) embodied, and therefore themselves came to embody certain characteristics of those runes.

Of course, this applies not only to legendary heroes, but to "legendary foes" as well - I think for me that's where a huge part of the initial usefulness of a high-level RQ expansion would come from. It used to be nice enough to have a Salivating Drool 250% Big Chaos Monster to throw at your heroes, but having some extra nastiness to inject in there would be great!

Great to hear this book's on the way!

Regards,

Sarah

Oh...don't you worry...there are going to be some SERIOUS bad guy potential here.

As far as otherplanar stuff...this is more rule-based rather than setting specific. We have some very cool stuff planned for the Runequest rules-set, and while Glorantha tends to be the number one setting people think of when you say Runequest at all...I have to leave this book a little bit "setting-vague" so it can be useful for the other settings we have planned too.

I mean, it is rather obvious that with new Runes and stuff it is leaned toward Glorantha, but the book itself is a bit more vanilla. Hopefully with what I have cooked up in here, you as a Games Master will be able to more easily take your Legendary games into those other planes and what not yourself.

Hope that helps!!!

Bry

does it mean that you found out a system usable for heroic quest? (like the so-called super Runequest to battle avatar)

Consider this a new envisionment, and not a re-hash of old RQ ideas.

Legendary Heroes (and its mass combat chapter of hugeness) should make most of you very happy.

That's all I can say, on fear of Matt's assassins. :)

Bry

homerjsinnott said:
Is this going to be Runehammer? God I hope not.

Considering hammers are primarily a troll weapon, and their runemetal being lead, I would think a the whole Runehammer idea would never float.

Rurik said:
homerjsinnott said:
Is this going to be Runehammer? God I hope not.

Considering hammers are primarily a troll weapon, and their runemetal being lead, I would think a the whole Runehammer idea would never float.

Give it to one of those soul stealing dwarfs though... they can make anything float.

Rurik said:

I belive you are thinking of a maul.

homerjsinnott said:
Just say NO to thread resurrection kids.

Actually this is funny because we tell people to search when they bring up something that has been asked, and then tell them to not revive something from the past. I personally don't mind bring up a post from the past if it is done to further it or to bring up a valid question.

Magistus said:
homerjsinnott said:
Just say NO to thread resurrection kids.

Actually this is funny because we tell people to search when they bring up something that has been asked, and then tell them to not revive something from the past. I personally don't mind bring up a post from the past if it is done to further it or to bring up a valid question.

Search not grave-dig.

"Hammer are dwarf weapons" is not a valid reason to res a 9 month old thread.

If they had told us more info about the original subject, then yes, bring its putrifying cadaver into the air once more and let it LIVE!

Otherwise, no.

homerjsinnott said:
"Hammer are dwarf weapons" is not a valid reason to res a 9 month old thread.

If they had told us more info about the original subject, then yes, bring its putrifying cadaver into the air once more and let it LIVE!

Otherwise, no.

I agree with Bruce.

- Q

Back