Runequest Artist looking for feedback

rogue_artist

Mongoose
Hello!

My name is Jasno Banditt Adams. I did a illustrations for one of the new RuneQuest books coming out soon; as well as a couple other titles for Mongoose.

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask around for feedback. I always like to hear what the publice has to say about my stuff. What they like, what they don't like. Helps me grow and improve as an artist.

www.Rogue-Artist.com is my website. Examples of the work I've done are there for freely perusing.

Kindest regards,
-Banditt

Dear Jason,

Well, as no one else has said anything... I'll put my 2p in.

I'm a professional artist (however not working in the same field, I do academic portraits), so if you can forgive my particular slant on things....

First off, I liked your work - what follows are purely opinions and suggestions meant in the most friendly of fashions... not in any way as vitriolic criticism (just in case someone misquotes me).

What I especially thought worked were the bolder, less hatched, ink drawings. They really effectively caught the simplicity and dynamism of ink outlining - good examples of what is often meant by "designing for B&W", not merely converting colour illustrations.

What I perhaps feel doesn't work quite so well are the partially coloured images with the washes ('Photoshop' airbrush fill?). To my eye they have a touch of the "filled-in" linear image rather than of the colour being integrated from the initial conception. However that said, I do tend to like either straight B&W, or "full-on" painterly colour.

A question, was it your intention to purposefully limit yourself to the "vivid" range of pastels often used in print characture/cartooning (you know with the 'glove' technique)? No harm if you did, it's a very stripped-down punchy style. Just wondered.

Finally, and feel free to ignore this. As a suggestion to expand on the use of monochrome, have you ever thought about a more expansive range of graphical marks? I'm not good at describing what I mean, so perhaps the best explanation of what I'm trying to get at (and better expressed) is by some of van Gogh's Provençal reed drawings - for example: Cottage Garden, 1888; Harvest in Provence, 1888; Arles, view from the Wheatfields, 1888; or maybe, by some of 'The Rape of The Lock' illustrations by Beardsley. It's another possible avenue and tack to explore....

I hope that wasn't too much

All the very best

No, it is wonderful to hear from you... Lord High Munchkin (?) I apologize Im still the new guy and don't know who everyone is based on screen name :oops: and I do appreciate your taking the time to message.

You are absolutely right on every single account actually. Those points are precisely what I am attempting to fix. My diligence had waned over the holidays, but Im back at it now ;) Working on Conan and giving it everything Ive got. I've a personal love for that project.

I do a lot of victorian-era etching for scholarly work throughout the summer. I teach kids about what newspaper artists were like in the Civil War. Wood Block printing, all that. I do tend to have a hard time switching between styles anymore :(

Only VERY recently have I began to expand upon what I hope is marking me as my own recognizable style. Its been rough, being pulled in several directions over the years by different clients. Too much time trying to emulate, not enough time developing a single track.

Thats is why over the last couple of years I have remained mainly to the Gaming Industry. Some folks like line art, others like a wash, but in essence Im at least saying in a general area.

You're avatar is absolutely fantastic!! Is that your art? That is something else I need to develop more, shadows. My art is still pretty flat. But Im trying to give it robustness.

Color... the bane of my existence until recently. LOL I know I am horribly... Technocolor. LOL Its true. Everyone I talk to says so. Too many of my very early years were spent in the comic book field :) Back when 4-color printing was still used and "bright colors attract kids". LOL

I really am trying desperately to calm down the vividness of my color pallet. So I GREATLY appreciate the references you named!

Ive been an "interiors" guy for years. I got my first cover (and thus, color) commission early last year (2008). I spent weeks on it and still to my eye it is horridly flawed. But it appeared in Dragon Magazine and was indeed kept on as the cover for that specific work; so it was not a completely failed attempt. Its the one with the Dragon bearing down upon the archer in a fetid, gas-clouded swamp.

Since then Ive tried every medium available to me. Of coarse back in college they pushed us to do everything via computer. That was the growing trend. And there are *amazing* digital artists out there. No doubt about it!

I, however, will forever be a traditional artist. I must use my hands. I got well enough to have a few private commissions done on computer. But I needed to try and overcome that hurdle of picking up a paintbrush and creating art. Sounds like a funny thing for an artist to say, huh? But it is true. I was a rapidograph artist for years. All Black and White, all interiors. All technical. I actually worked on blueprints, CAD and tech-specs for a few years.

Over the last year, I say I have grown leaps and bounds in the advent of color. Though I am no van Gough obviously. I have probably 7 or 8 unfinished pieces sitting here. Practice pieces as it were. Many end up getting thrown out because my abilities and style changes so drastically. I start one piece, then half way through get the inspiration to start something else. 4-5 pieces later I go back to the very first one, but realize Ive changed so much there is no way I could finish it! LOL It would look like two different artists worked on it.

Not to mention Im still getting comfortable with the various mediums at hand. Sad to say I have only been successful with one piece done in acrylic. Ive always failed at oils. Ive tried straight pigment, mixing it myself, or using it as inks or pencil-like sticks. It is there I have had the most success. Which is funny because its the most difficult to use.

When using straight pigment (mixed with water) its like working with ink. It dries FAST. Youve got less than a half a minute to cover the area and smooth it out before your window of opportunity is slammed shut. Too much water curls the paper; any variation in the pigment will show in an overlapping streak (like markers). Plus you have to mix subtle spans of pigment with bold separation lines in some areas. Try to get a new color next to an area not 100% dry and you get tie-dye bleeds. Its a NIGHTMARE. LOL

But I guess Im one of those types. Either fly by the seat of your pants, or dont bother doing it. Who says art can't be exciting?

Anyway, I hope I don't sound droll. I love what I do and I couldnt see myself doing anything else. It really is something I appreciate GREATLY to have folks talk with me about how I can improve. Sometimes its an itch I just cant scratch by myself. I want to do better, but I get "Artist's block", you know? :D lol

Please know that I have great appreciation for you taking the time to speak with me. Thank you ever so kindly! I hope to have kinship with other artists, we're a fun lot!

Kindest regards,
-Banditt/Jason/hey you

I have uploaded some of my latest for RuneQuest.

Under www.Rogue-Artist.com Goto "Galleries" and look at the "B;ack & White Character Portraits", "Scenes" and "technical" sections :)

There's some really nice stuff in there, Jason. Quick question - are the dwarves for the upcoming Mostali book?

Loz said:
There's some really nice stuff in there, Jason. Quick question - are the dwarves for the upcoming Mostali book?

No, I didn't do any Dwarves for Mongoose. Thanks for your kind words though!

I liked the black and white pictures a lot more than the colour ones. The medieval pictures were very dynamic and the inhumans were good. There are a lot of broken links in the "Monsters, Creatures & Fauna" gallery. The colour pictures were OK, but I'm not a great fan of colour anyway.

soltakss said:
I liked the black and white pictures a lot more than the colour ones.

Ditto here. Actually I liked the B&W pictures _a lot_; the only colour picture I really liked was the golden bird. I also liked the flag with the stormtrooper, but I guess it does not really qualify as 'colour' (black, red, white).

Beware, you misspelled Runquest on the first page :x

Back