RQ Slayers (Lina Inverse and company)

It would obviously require an entirely different magic system, but do you guys think RuneQuest would work for a campaign in the style of the classic anime Slayers?

It would be, of course, an extremely high-level game, and there are some spells that can lay towns and cities to waste and characters who can take on Gods -- and win.

And of course, the sort of comedic elements that practically cry out for a BESM-style Defects system.

Oh man, did you scare me!

THere was a RQ Slayers game that AH was going to produce. I saw the title and first thought of that.

RQ might be workable for something like that. I think you'd probably want to adjust the leathialty a bit to handle alooser, more anime style of play. Maybe just toss out a few more Hero Points and boost the PCs dodge, parry, and resilience skill.

Y'know, Atgxtg, that gives me an idea... the RQS setting isn't all that bad... (and Rune'Slayers is available on the net...)

Might not be a bad setting to port...

(AkAramis Grins, ducks, and runs for hard cover...)

I got a copy if you want it. I think the new version is a bit differenrt than the old (it has a new name too), but I'm not really sure.

I just DL'd it out of curisoity and was horrified by what they did with RQ. Abousoletely nothing of RQ was in that game.

atgxtg said:
I got a copy if you want it. I think the new version is a bit differenrt than the old (it has a new name too), but I'm not really sure.

I just DL'd it out of curisoity and was horrified by what they did with RQ. Abousoletely nothing of RQ was in that game.

Well, there were Runes! And it was dark-ages...

I, too dl'd the press-ready... have it on the other machine.... It is an interesting read. If it hadn't had the RQ name affixed, it would have stood a decent chance.

Getting back on-topic, let me do a little experiment.

Naga the white Serpent (aka Naga the Goldfish-****)

STR 13, CON 12, DEX 14, SIZ 16, INT 14, POW 27, CHA 16
Significant Skills: Black Magic 174%, Dodge 121%, Resilience 225%, Healing 77%, Lore (Hot Springws) 165%

Legendary Abilities: Distinctive Image
Faults: Phobia of Blood, Notally Tucking Futs, Obsessed with Besting Lina Inverse

Naga's Black Magic skill is one of four "school" skills magic-users take in the Slayers world. The other three are white magic, Shamanism and the almost-unheard-of Chaos Magic. The higher your skill in your school, the more likely you are to know an appropriate spell for a given situation and the better you are at channeling the energy required to power it. Most skilled spellcasters have such large spellbooks that categorizing every single spell they know would take up two or three pages of character sheet.

Distinctive Image is a new Legendary Ability; when ti is obtained, the player selects what their Image is and can then use that image to aid in interactions, intimidation, etc. In Naga's case, her distinctive image is as a bat-*** crazy sorceress in very little black leather to cover a great deal of, well, Naga, and with a laugh that drives men mad (not to mention women, children, pets, wildlife, plants, etc....)

Faults is a new addition to the system that allows a player to accept certain handicaps in return for extra ability. Naga's fear of blood (the sight of it makes her faint) is a severe combat handicap; although she always has an ornate sword strapped to her hip, she never uses or even draws it. Her obsession gives her a nice story hook. NTF is, of course, a polite way of saying Naga is bat-**** crazy and utterly disconnected from objective reality; she believes she's Lina Inverse's arch-nemesis, but the reality is Lina simply views her as a pest that won't go away; she also thinks she is Lina's equal in terms of power, which is not at all the case.

Back