Return to the Road of Kings (Does I need the old one?)

Trodax said:
Strange thread indeed...
That thread doesn't really answer what LucaCherstich is asking, though; "if I buy RttRoK (the new book), will I still benefit from also buying Rok (the old book)?"

This is a tough one to answer, because it depends on one's opinion of a few things and how one likes to run the games. Keep in mind that I have not seen the final edit of Return to the Road of Kings; this opinion is based on the manuscript submitted.

1. Those who have RoK will find a lot of value in RttRoK.
2. RoK will still be valuable if one wants to run a more "pure" game, as RttRoK has more extrapolation and pastiche material than RoK.
3. RoK will still be valuable as a quick overview, or as something you can give players to read if they need a quick overview.
4. Some materials in RoK (such as the feats and weapons) do not appear in RttRoK. Ian Sturrock's characters in the back of the original RoK have been replaced with my versions of those characters, so those preferring the original presentation will need the original RoK.

You see, LucaCherstich: when you want some info about some Conan books, ask Vincent because he can answer 95% of the time.

Thank you, Vincent!
I imagine that the answer of my second question (the reliability of the "October" release dates for RtROK and Players'guide) is more difficult to give....although October is now ending.

LucaCherstich said:
Is the "October 2007" date right?
What about the Players Guide?
Will it be launched roughly on the same time?

Well, they both have November release dates listed at the moment.

AUch! I'm sure it was "October" until a couple of days ago....
I suppose it is too much to ask when in November? Possibly it is not predictable at this stage...

I don't know when it will be published. I am waiting just as anxiously as everyone else. I am dying to see what the final edit includes (and wondering what was taken out).

VincentDarlage said:
I don't know when it will be published. I am waiting just as anxiously as everyone else. I am dying to see what the final edit includes (and wondering what was taken out).
How many pages does your original script contain?

VincentDarlage said:
Some materials in RoK (such as the feats and weapons) do not appear in RttRoK. Ian Sturrock's characters in the back of the original RoK have been replaced with my versions of those characters, so those preferring the original presentation will need the original RoK.

I ordered RttRoK alongside my 2nd ed Conan book. This reminds me of Vincent's Temptresses (Belit, Nafertari & Sancha) from the Temptress thread. I was most impressed by the revised Nafertari notes. Its has a lot more flavour then what was in RoK. So now I'm really looking forward to getting RttRoK. :mrgreen:

I have question about RttRoK. Are the descriptions of Asgard and Vanahelm are going to be carbon-copies of each other, like how it was in RoK, or do they share the same chapter & description? (seeing who the only thing that sets them apart are hair color)

Malcadon said:
I have question about RttRoK. Are the descriptions of Asgard and Vanahelm are going to be carbon-copies of each other, like how it was in RoK, or do they share the same chapter & description? (seeing who the only thing that sets them apart are hair color)

I combined them in RttRoK.

VincentDarlage said:
I combined them in RttRoK.
Does it also mean we won't have Nordheim as a regional sourcebook?

Or do (did) you work on these (or other) kingdoms actually?

VincentDarlage said:
282 pages, IIRC. A lot more than what was asked for.
Quite a lot, especially when one consider there are still pictures and maps to be included.
I wish they would give it to you the task to edit your own work.

The King said:
I wish they would give it to you the task to edit your own work.

If offered, I would turn it down. I can edit other people's work, but I have a hard time being objective about my own - and can often be blind to my own errors and short-comings as a writer.

VincentDarlage said:
The King said:

No. I have not been given that (or any other) assignment. We will see what the future holds.
Sad for us and for Mongoose, a lot of people buy their books because your writings, Vincent. :(

If it so, I will probably stop doing so after RttRoK and TPGttHA.

The 2nd ED had a few good ideas but it was mostly reprints with a cheap binding. Except Trial of Blood, the next products on schedule are updates/reprints: The Bestiary (with 70/75% reprints according to an answer by the writer in an older thread), Secrets of Skelos...

I will not "bitch" longer about Mongoose's editing.
King, the regular users of this forum (including me) have thoroughly expressed this kind of thoughts, it is not worth repeating what has already been stated numerous times. If Mongoose don't take our complaints seriously, too bad. And if the company makes the HUGE mistake to not assign further works to VND, it will probably be a big disappointment for the fan-base. I really hope that it is not definitive.

A Solomon Kane RPG has been released. I know how to spend my money.

Axerules said:
VincentDarlage said:
The King said:

No. I have not been given that (or any other) assignment. We will see what the future holds.
Sad for us and for Mongoose, a lot of people buy their books because your writings, Vincent. :(

Seconded. I only keep buying Conan because of Vincent's works. If he was to stop writing for Conan, I would probably give up buying Conan products. It's as simple as that. Vincent's works are the reason I buy Conan RPG.

Axerules said:
A Solomon Kane RPG has been released. I know how to spend my money.

And it is very very pretty. I got my copy of Solomon Kane before 2nd Edition, cause I couldn't find a copy at my favorite online retailer or local hobby shop.

I am throughly enjoying Solomon Kane and am seriously considering switching my Conan game to Savage World.

Back