remember

Uriel Ventis

Mongoose
As a men of peace , I have to made everyone remember that , no more than 65 years ago , begin the biggest sea war of the history , between two of the most powerfull navy in the world.
2467 mens of two nation died in one day . A lot more will die in the subsequent war.

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, members of the Senate and the House of Representatives: yesterday, December 7th, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation, and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent

American message. And while this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or of armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya. Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong. Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam. Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands. Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. And this morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe that I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounded determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December 7th, 1941, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire."

Just remember the error of the past in order to built a better world for ourself and our children.

Hadn't there alreadey been a war going on for 2 years at this point?

The invasion of Poland, France, Belgium? Battle of Britain?

^Not for the US.

And to think how different things would have been if we would have trusted our radar operators. The Japanese pulled off the perfect sneak attack. Genious, really. A tragic event for us though.

Uriel Ventis said:
As a men of peace , I have to made everyone remember that , no more than 65 years ago , begin the biggest sea war of the history .

The first naval shots of the war were fired by the German pre-Dreadnought Schleswig-Holstein on 1st September 1939, attacking Polish harbour defences in Danzig.

The attack on Pearl Harbour was indeed a great tragedy and deserves to be remembered, but it wasn't the beginning of the war (except for the US).

I've often wondered just how many had died in the preface before the war 'began' by US definition... There are two damn great holes just outside my village that date from that period anyway...

Wulf

Probably a lot of people died. There's no doubt the war was raging in Europe and things weren't too good in Asia either.

Just to reply , I don't want to forget people who was fighting and dying in Europe for two years.
I am French and moreover I was born in Alsace , my city change of side five time in less than 100 years . I will never forget the sacrifice of soldier and civilian from either side of Europe.
That I want to say is that before this day of september 1941 , there was two war in the world : europe was fighting since 1939 and the sino-japanese war was raging since 1937 , the attack of pearl-harbour just make the link between these two war . After this day , the second world war truly became a global conflict.
This day also start the biggest (in term of area cover and number of ship engaged) sea campaign of the history.
If what I say have wounded someone , please excuse me.

I think it's strangely fitting that a naval wargame should be so international :lol:

Mind you, Mongoose being British makes the forum a bit odd in the gaming world anyway.

Wulf

Uriel Ventis said:
If what I say have wounded someone , please excuse me.

I don't think you wounded anyone. We just wanted to be completely correct. Your rememberance of Pearl Harbour was a good thing.

Credit to the OP though, WW2 wargaming always seemed a bit too close to home for me until i realised that most people who played had a greater appreciation (and respect) for the sacrafices of that generation.

Not that you should overanalyse what is in the end just a fun game but you get a bit more opportunity for consideration than when playing computer games for example.

hodgski said:
Credit to the OP though, WW2 wargaming always seemed a bit too close to home for me until i realised that most people who played had a greater appreciation (and respect) for the sacrafices of that generation.

Good point. Most of those men of the WWII generation fought willingly to defend an ideal. A couple of times recently I've thought about what i'm actually doing playing minis wargames. Nothing wrong with the science fiction stuff but I play a Nazi force in Flames of War. I've kind of questioned my own morals in playing them. It is just a game but still...

Lowly Uhlan said:
Good point. Most of those men of the WWII generation fought willingly to defend an ideal. A couple of times recently I've thought about what i'm actually doing playing minis wargames.
A friend of mine (my FLGS owner) is primarily a WW2 land wargamer. He will not play British troops, as he will not send out Brits to their death. He plays Yanks...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Lowly Uhlan said:
Good point. Most of those men of the WWII generation fought willingly to defend an ideal. A couple of times recently I've thought about what i'm actually doing playing minis wargames.
A friend of mine (my FLGS owner) is primarily a WW2 land wargamer. He will not play British troops, as he will not send out Brits to their death. He plays Yanks...

Wulf

He sounds like a good guy then.

I know WWII land gamers that never think about it. Me and 1 guy I play with all the time have talked about it. There's other (dumb) guys that game that say things like "I wish I could be in Iraq right now." Different war entirely but it kind of echoes the attitude and mindset of some wargamers that I know.

A grandad i never really met was on the murmansk convoys so i wonder what he'd make of me playing this...

Like that the moral ambiguity makes you think about it - seems better than not thinking at all....

Its really strange the people you do meet. Met a man once who was in the battle of the River Plate. he spent several hours shoveling coal. and then an officer came down and told them they won.

We just discovered this week, while getting my grandfather's medals mounted, that he was a member of the First Special Service Forces, the Black Devil Brigade.

He never relly talked about it and we always figured he was one of the (Canadian forces) Calgary Highlanders or something close by.

I remember and charish the ones I've know who fought and died during WW2. I have relatives on both sides (I'm pretty sure of this.) I've had the opportunity to have the chance to talk to people over the years who participated. My step grandfather was a master chief in the USN. He worked on teaching radar to the sailors who were going to use it. I talked to the commander of the BB Washington's CIC during one of the battles during Guadalcanal.

I'll never forget the sacrifices that were made by everyone during that time!

Scuzzlebutt142 said:
Its really strange the people you do meet. Met a man once who was in the battle of the River Plate. he spent several hours shoveling coal. and then an officer came down and told them they won.
I sat outside my work one day, and chatted to a remarkable old bloke who sailed off on a convoy to Africa, rescued a whole convoy's worth of survivors, diverted to Newfoundland with them, was seconded to coastal patrols off the US, then on the air-sea rescue launches in NW Scotland, watched the Catalina that spotted the Bismark fly out of Greenock (where I work), and ended up working in the library across the road from my work...

Wulf

Back