Redbrick announcement and the future of Noble Armada Q?

With the announcement of a revision of the direction of Fading Suns from Red Brick and the clearly states intention to release a "revised" NA game as well as other miniature products associated with FA, is this going to have an effect on the future of ACTA: Noble Armada?

Frankly I have stopped following ACTA that much over the last several months as the whole StarFleet debacle has sorta ground everything down not to mention the QC issues with everything. Haven't made a purchase of MGP products in MONTHS anyway. Not that I really give a rats ass about anything Red Brick does anymore either. They seem to be another company with grand plans but little in the way of quality and timely execution.

Just wondering.

For those who haven't seen it, the RedBrick announcement is posted here.

In terms of Noble Armada, I personally hope that this will not be a case of Mongoose and RedBrick tripping over each other. If the RedBrick take on NA turns out to be at a different scale to ACtA:NA (the way that SFB and FC are to ACtA:SF) then there could be room for the two systems to co-exist; however, if the two companies (and Holistic, as the IP holder) don't plan to develop the kind of ongoing co-operation that exists between Mongoose and ADB (and between ADB and Majestic 12 for the Star Fleet Universe adaptation of Starmada) I'd be worried that any cross purposes (or resulting lack of consistency) would risk causing the kind of problems that the Star Fleet deal is at pains not to avoid.

When the tabletop and RPG aspects of the Fading Suns/Noble Armada universe were still being kept apart, it was more understandable (if still not ideal, for those of us more used to the Star Fleet side of things) for each company to take Holistic's work in their own directions; but with this new direction on RedBrick's part, I do wonder if a new arrangement might not be worth considering.

Although, I suppose that technically, a better comparison might be with how ADB deals with both Mongoose and Majestic 12; the two latter companies don't seem to deal with each other the way that each does with ADB proper. Although, since ADB (unlike Holistic) still develop new Star Fleet Universe material under their own steam, the comparison is not an exact one; plus it's not clear (for those of us on the outside) how hands-on Holistic are with the IP the way ADB would be. (But then, given the terms of ADB's own contract with Paramount, the sheer need to be more heavily involved is there for the SFU the way that it wouldn't be for an IP like Fading Suns, which Holistic presumably own outright.)

The new Noble Armada will be in line with 3rd Ed Fading Suns RPG. They have changed the way things are with Starships as I understand it.

Also as Redbrick are just doing the rules which are going to be integrated with the RPG. They are not doing mini's. This will be interesting to see if they link Mongoose NA mini's to their NA 3?

Clanger said:
Also as Redbrick are just doing the rules which are going to be integrated with the RPG. They are not doing mini's.

To this extent, we have recently negotiated a license for a revised Noble Armada space miniatures game and extended our license to include tabletop miniatures and game rules for the Fading Suns universe, among other yet-to-be-announced products.

If what you say are true then why would they extend their license to cover the miniatures...Which almost certainly costs money.

"yeah let's pay for miniature license and then not do anything with it".

Sure looks like they are aiming for miniatures.

http://redbrickllc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=501 from the thread on the Redbrick site started by Nerroth

Took it from a direct quote from Anunnaki (James)

Noble Armada is a different level of scale and details to ACTA:NA. More in-depth duel-to-small-squadron battles, as you put it.

We're not doing miniatures; that is served very well by Holistic/Mongoose. We're focused on the tabletop game rules and integration into the Fading Suns roleplaying game, first and foremost.

Clanger said:
http://redbrickllc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=501 from the thread on the Redbrick site started by Nerroth

Took it from a direct quote from Anunnaki (James)

Noble Armada is a different level of scale and details to ACTA:NA. More in-depth duel-to-small-squadron battles, as you put it.

We're not doing miniatures; that is served very well by Holistic/Mongoose. We're focused on the tabletop game rules and integration into the Fading Suns roleplaying game, first and foremost.

Ok.

So lol guess one company is willing to pay for license they don't use.

Unless they plan to do miniatures for ground combat, or ones intended to work with the RPG, perhaps? (Just guessing here.)

I'm not holding my breath for a new version of Noble Armada.

It isn't listed in their release schedule for 2012 or first quarter 2013.

They are also planning on releasing a Pathfinder version and a Savage Worlds version, based on the second edition. And planning on reprinting older supplements. They seem to be quite happy with several different versions of the universe in play.

I will be very interested in the Redbrick development, TBH I've been quite disappointed with how NA has all but fallen off the radar for MP. What's the latest for Fleets? Jan 2013? 2014? With nothing beyond that. Despite protests, SF is the miniature engine of choice for MP and will continue to be so. I get it, go with what sells.

I can't forsee much handwringing here, maybe more a sense of relief that they don't have to pretend any more. I dont' expect competing systems to be continually published.

I like NA, but I'm definitely feeling like I've been duped into supporting a dying game. (Kinda like how I bought all this B5 stuff 4 months before the announcement).

Dihenydd said:
I will be very interested in the Redbrick development, TBH I've been quite disappointed with how NA has all but fallen off the radar for MP. What's the latest for Fleets? Jan 2013? 2014? With nothing beyond that. Despite protests, SF is the miniature engine of choice for MP and will continue to be so. I get it, go with what sells.

Star Fleet is certainly the daddy of the two, of course. However, we have no intention of NA getting nudged out. It may not enjoy the level of support SF does, but it fills a different niche, scratches a different itch.

Dihenydd said:
I like NA, but I'm definitely feeling like I've been duped into supporting a dying game. (Kinda like how I bought all this B5 stuff 4 months before the announcement).

The B5 thing could not really be helped and it is still popular enough. If, however, you don't have any friends nearby to play, then you could well be sitting on a goldmine - you should be able to get more than you paid for any of those B5 models on eBay right now, so you can justify it as an investment :)

With regards to NA we currently face a situation where we have clogged up our rapid prototyping service and are in a sort of halfway point where we have grown beyond them but not enough to justify our own equipment. That said, I am talking to another service now who, if their prices end up being right, will mean faster turnarounds and even better quality models. I should find out in a couple of weeks how that turns out and, if all goes well, Noble Armada will be first up.

Beyond Fleets, we have the Symbiotes, more reinforcements for existing fleets and a possible new never-before-seen-in-Noble-Armada alien race, though we need to go over them with Holistic before the green light is given.

We _have_ seen some SF players delve into NA, so we are hoping the two will end up complementing each other quite well. Think of it as people getting hooked by Trek and then getting led into NA :)

So, to sum up, yes we need to work harder on NA, no we haven't got much extra capacity at the moment with other projects banging about (we are still quite a small company!), and yes we intend to correct all of this over the Summer months.

msprange said:
We _have_ seen some SF players delve into NA, so we are hoping the two will end up complementing each other quite well. Think of it as people getting hooked by Trek and then getting led into NA :)

I think I prefer the NA stuff better than the fake trek stuff. Sorry, the sfu stuff is NOT trek. No sir, it is not; no way, no how. It might look like a duck and quack like a duck, but it is most certainly not a duck lol. My Trek comes from The Great Bird...not whatever license loophole that allows this mess to exist. I think that I like the NA stuff better because I don't know anything about the setting and the ships and read the book and it's pretty cool stuff and I like that the reasons to fight just make more sense to me and the ships look really cool and Mongoose did a great job with them. It's also cool that in NA you play for more than just blowing up the other guy.

For a while, I never even knew NA was based on a property, I thought it was Mongoose's own line. Kudos to everyone for their hard work on NA and as a new player, I'm kind of glad for a gap in releases so I can get acclimated, caught up, and decide what to get next...who am I kidding...I'll get it all! lol.

Chris

phoenixhawk said:
For a while, I never even knew NA was based on a property, I thought it was Mongoose's own line. Chris

Apart from some of the very generic stuff, I can only thnk of two original Mongoose IPs, though I'm willing to be proved wrong on that.

I'm not saying I dislike stuff just because it's licensed, it's justI sometimes wish Mongoose did more with their own IP, though with one of them I know things are in the works.

And I only really liked that one anyway :)

LBH

Back