Raven's Rules for Sorcery v 1.1

Hypnotic Suggestion [Advanced Spell of the Enchantment and Illusion Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 1
Casting Time: One standard action
Range: Evil Eye
Target: One living creature
Duration: 9 minutes plus one minute per level of Scholar the caster possesses
Saving Throw: Will
Perquisites: Entrance, eight ranks Bluff, six ranks Concentration, Magical Attack Bonus +2 or higher, target must be entranced by caster
Magical Success Roll: Sets DC for target’s Will save

Save for the changes above, this spell is as described in the basic Mongoose Publishing Conan system.

Revised Spell

Hypnotic Suggestion, Mass [Advanced Spell of the Enchantment and Illusion Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 1/creature affected
Casting Time: One full round
Range: Medium [100 ft plus 25 feet per level of Scholar the caster possesses]
Target: One or more creatures within range of the spell
Duration: Nine minutes plus one minute per level of Scholar the caster possesses
Perquisites: Hypnotic Suggestion, ten ranks Bluff, eight ranks Concentration, Magic Attack bonus of + 4 or higher
Magical Success Roll: Sets DC for the target’s Will save

This version of the spell is similar to the way it is described in Mongoose Publishing’s basic Conan system, with a few differences. In addition to the changes above, the spell targets not all creatures with its range, but those the caster designates with the spells range at a cost of one Power Point per creature targeted. [A common tactic of sorcerers using this spell to target the leaders of a large group- thus getting those unaffected by the spell to do their bidding as well 8)]

New Spell

Delayed Hypnotic Suggestion [Advanced Spell of the Enchantment and Illusion Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 2
Casting time: One full round
Duration: Special
Perquisites: Hypnotic suggestion, six ranks Bluff, four ranks Concentration, Magic Attack Bonus of +3 or higher, target must be entranced by caster
Magic Success Roll: Set DC for target’s Will save

A more advanced version of hypnotic suggestion this spell allow the caster to implant a set of simple instructions within a target’s mind to be carried out at a later date. The suggestion must have a conditional trigger, such as a certain or place or a phrase that the target sees or hears or being in the presence of a certain person. Upon the successful casting of the spell, the target retains no conscious memory of receiving the instructions.

When the trigger conditions are set, the target will attempt to carry out the instructions to the letter if possible. If it is not possible, they will fulfill them to the best of their abilities. This state lasts for nine minutes plus one minute per level of Scholar the caster possessed at the time of the spell being cast. If the target survives until the end of the spell, they will ‘awaken’ without knowledge of their actions during this state, perhaps not even aware that have done anything amiss. Once the state has passed, the spell ‘s effect is ended and the target will never again carry out the implanted suggestions even if in the presence of the trigger condition again.

Unscrupulous sorcerers have been known to use this spell to create ‘sleeper’ agents among followers of rival powers.

Well - what a mouthful again !!! Thanks for all that work there Raven. I look forward to trying all these out with my next Conan game.

Hopefully some of my previous posts on Sorcery have been some inspiration. Part of being a GM is the ability to add, edit and improove on Standard lists of Rules. This has saved Me a whole lotta work for sure ...!

I will try to make some meager contributions, as many people here in the Forum have posted some lovely material for all here to add to thier games (Or not - as They see fit ...)

ME??? I LOVE making maps, and I will shortly embark upon making up and 'detailing in' 2 x 3 x 5' maps for another RPG I Play (Tekumel.com)

I've already enlarged a portion of Turan/ The Vilayet/ Hyrkania for my last Campaign. Still need a damn GM Screen. Thingz seem to take forever to reach my gaming shop here in Perth ...

Since I post the above information for my players and the forum has about the same code, it is literally just a matter of minutes to post it here too. I'm glad to help fix the one major glaring error [IMHO] in the Conan system- lack of support for Sorcery. [The other minor error IMHO- too much concenetration on prostitution instead of other more useful info, raises too many red flags around here to discuss]

Since I tend to create about that much info every two weeks or so I figure that in six months, I'll have the equilivent of a sourcebook- at which point I'll organize it into one and make it available. In the mean time I'll keep posting it as I make it. The usual copyright applies- publish it as your own without my consent and gain a Death Curse. [RL sorcery is so much fun]

For those who like Lovecraft, my translation of his Deep Ones into the Conan system will hopefully appear on 'Conan and Cthuhlu' tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a couple of spells I refer to into the entry done by then and posted here.

Raven, who prefers to work for love, not money

Yes - I enjoy adding my little bit too ... for GM's as a fellow contributor to the overall game. I can accept critique, as long as it is usefull and not just literary snobbery.
I am only just starting to tentatively re-read some of my VAST Conan novel collection. So ... I'm not at all a 'full bottle' on the Conan tales (But I do recall details as I am reminded of them). I bought my first Conan novel when I was 18 .... I'm now 43. The publishers changed over time, and I think that my books are mostly Sphere/Ace publishers(?).

I also felt that the Sorcery Lists were a little thin, and wanted to see some more choice and variety offered. I usually 'pick and choose' gaming suppliments, based upon what I find to be a useful addition. Maybe Mongoose will expand on the Sorceries too (Who knows?). They have a habit of writing too many texts that are too thinly focused (EG: The Quintessential series ... versions I and II ...)

Good Work anyhow there Raven. Please send another private message if you want to swap Conan Campaign materials. I'll try to provide what I've written so far, and see what you think. I'd love to be a player in your campaign ! (Oh the Tyranny of Distance).

Raven,

Can I compile all this into a PDF and post it on my Hyborean Mythos site?

Nameless Cults
http://unclebear.com/conan/

Back again guys- this has been a summer for growth. I now have two possibly three new players. Gack! Between that and the attention I been getting on this board, I must be likable! 8)

Anyway, luck and Love all- a light week so far. Here it comes...

Raven

Revised Spell

Sense Currents [Basic Spell of the Elements and Forces Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 1
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Self
Target: Self
Duration: 1 hour per level of Scholar the caster possesses
Saving Throw: None
Perquisites: Two ranks of Knowledge (geography); Four ranks of Knowledge (sea)
Magic Success Roll: DC 8

This spell is similar to the version in Pirate Isles with a few differences as noted above. The spell gives the caster knowledge of the sea’s movements within the immediate area. This knowledge can increase the effective overland speed on a body of water by +1 knot [mile per hour] for the duration of the spell if acting as a ship’s navigator or for a sentient aquatic creature.

New Spell

Shape Currents [Advanced Spell of the Elements and Forces Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 4/knot of speed desired
Casting Time: One minute
Range: Far [One mile per level of Scholar the caster possesses]
Target: One ship or group of aquatic creatures
Duration: One hour per level of Scholar the caster desires
Perquisites: Sense currents; Four ranks of Knowledge [geography]; Six ranks of Knowledge [sea]; Magical Attack Bonus +1 or higher
Magic Success Roll: DC 12 + number of knots of speed chnaged by the spell

Rather than simply being aware of the movement of currents, Shape Currents is used to alter the flow of water to benefit or hinder a target’s movement in water. For each 4 Power Points expended, the caster may increase or decrease a ship’s speed by 1 knot [mile per hour] or a character’s swimming speed by 5. If cast on a group of aquatic creatures for the purpose of long scale movement their aquatic overland speed can be decreased or increased by 1 for each 4 Power Points expended. Deep One Priests often use this spell to move large groups of their kind rapidly from place to place or to slow a targeted vessel to make it easier to catch up to. [See the ‘Conan and Cthulhu’ topic for more information on Deep Ones]

New Spell

Bounty of the Hunt [Advanced Spell of the Life and Nature Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 8/square mile
Casting Time: One hour
Duration: One day
Perquisites: Call Animal and at least one Advanced Spell of the Life and Nature Sphere; Six ranks Knowledge [nature] or Knowledge [sea]; six ranks Survival; Priest Feat; Magical Attack Bonus +1 or higher
Magical Success Roll: DC 15

Bounty of the Hunt is a spell common to barbaric shamans and followers of the Earth Mother and other Divine aspects of Fertility. The spell acts to entice prey into the targeted area for the duration of the spell. Any attempt to make a Survival check to find game in that area will have a +4 circumstance bonus. Note that if the spell is cast on Aquatic terrain, the perquisite changes from Knowledge [nature] to Knowledge [sea] and the bonus is granted to those fishing that area.

New Spell

Bounty of the Field [New Spell of the Life and Nature Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 15/square mile
Casting Time: Four hours
Duration: One season
Perquisites: Two Advanced Spells of the Life and Nature Sphere; Ten ranks of Knowledge [nature]; Four ranks Profession [farmer]; Priest Feat; Magical Attack Bonus of +3 or higher
Magical Success Roll: 20

Bounty of the field is spell used for agricultural purposes for both the followers of the Earth Mother and the great masters of the slave farms of Stygia. The spell enriches the soil of the targeted area, renewing the nutrients needed for the growth of plants. All Profession [farmer] checks in that area possess a +4 circumstance bonus for one full growing season.

The high Power Point cost of the spell means that save for the greatest of adepts, this spell will often require Ritual Sacrifice, use of Power Rituals and/or be held on a holy day of the Earth Mother. [See upcoming information on the Cult of the Earth Mother]

New Feat

Childe of the Elements

Requirements: Must be taken at first level. Character may not have any other ‘Childe ‘ Feat

Description: The character is born with a measure of his or her heritage descending from the primal being known to humans as Elementals. Children of the Elements are most common among the people of Koth and Shem. The character gains the following template type:

Size and Type: Creature type becomes a native Outsider (Elemental)

Hit Dice, Move, DV, DR, Special Attacks: All remain unchanged

Special Qualities: Creature gains:

-Darkvision, 30 feet. The creature can ‘see’ the elemental energies that comprise all matter. Objects seem to be lit by a subtle internal radiance. Magical, Ethereal, Astral and magically concealed objects may also be detectable, but require a Spot check, DC set by the nature of the spell/creature/object itself.

-Elemental Resistance: When being damaged by an elemental source such as fire and lightning of either mundane or magical origin the creature suffers 1 point of damage less per each dice of damage. In addition the character gets a +2 bonus to Survival and Fortitude checks caused by exposure or harsh environments.

Spells: While the Childe of the Elements gains no spells per se he or she does have an affinity for spells of the Elemental Sphere. Spells cast from that sphere are cast with a +1 bonus to the creature’s magical attack bonus and are cast as if the caster was one level higher Scholar than he or she is.

Favoured Class: Change to Scholar.

Base Power Points: Unchanged

Abilities: Change as follows: Con +2, Wis –2. Children of the Elements tend to be tougher than the average member of their base race, but quick to anger and prone to sudden and rash actions.

Skills: Children of the Elements gain a +2 bonus to all Craft Skills due to their innate understanding of the nature of the material properties they are working with

Corruption: Children of the Elements are more susceptible to magical energies and gain a –1 penalty against Corruption checks.

Nature ain't evil in my book. Here's an alternative to the 'Child of Jebbal Sag' (sp?) in The Scrolls of Skeleos.

Revised Feat- was 'Child of Jebbal Sag'

Childe of Nature

Requirements: May only be taken at first level. Character may not have any other ‘Childe’ Feat

Description: The character is born with a portion of his or her heritage descending from the beings known to most as the Spirits of Nature. Children of Nature are most common among Picts, Kushites and other inhabitants of the Black Kingdoms, the Khitian and of course worshippers of the gods of nature. The character gains the following template:

Size and Type: Creature type becomes a native Outsider (Spirit)

Hit Dice, Move, DV, DR, Special Attacks: All remain unchanged

Special Qualities: Creature gains:

-Low light vision, 60 feet

-Wild Empathy: The character may attempt to affect the reaction of creature of the Animal subtype with intelligence of 2 or lower in a manner similar Diplomacy. The character makes a d20 check, adding their Cha bonus and character level. This is applied to the chart of pg. 92 of the Conan core rulebook for the purposes of modifying the creature’s reaction. Most domestic animals start with an attitude of indifferent, while most wild animals start with a attitude of unfriendly.

Spells: While the Childe of the Nature gains no spells per se he or she does have an affinity for spells of the Life and Nature Sphere. Spells cast from that sphere are cast with a +1 bonus to the creature’s magical attack bonus and are cast as if the caster was one level higher scholar than he or she is.

Favoured Class: Change to Barbarian [for male] or Scholar [for female].

Base Power Points: Unchanged

Abilities: Change as follows:

Female: Cha +2, Str –2. Female Children of the Nature tend toward the looks of the haunting dryads and nymphs of the Wyld. They radiate a natural beauty unseen in most beings, but their refined forms tend to possess less muscle and sinew

Male: Str +1; Con +1; Wis -2. Men on the other hand tend to take after their Satyr forefathers and possess a measure of their lusty strength and foolish tendencies.

Skills: Children of Nature gain a +2 bonus to all Drive Cart, Handle Animal, Ride and Survival checks.

Corruption: Children of the Nature are more susceptible to magical energies and gain a –1 penalty against Corruption checks.

New Feat

Childe of Angels

Requirements: Must be taken at first level; Character must not have any other ‘Childe’ Feat.

Description: Your parentage is not fully human. Mingled with the blood of common mortals is the blood of some Angelic power who found a forebearer passing fair. The character gains the following profile.

Size and Type: Change to native Outsider (Angel)

Hit Dice, Initiative, Move: Remain unchanged

DV and DR: Increase by 1

Special Attacks, Special Qualities: Remain unchanged

Characteristics: Int –2; Wis +2. Children of Angels tend to think more with their heart rather than their head.

Spells: A Childe of Angels gains no spells per se but possesses a particular affinity for the Blessings and Protection Sphere of Power. Spells of that Sphere cast by the character gain a +1 bonus to the magic attack roll and are cast as if the caster were one level of Scholar higher than he or she is.

Favoured Classes: Change to Scholar and Soldier

Corruption: Children of Angels are notoriously resistant to the corrupting effect of evil sorcery, gaining a +2 bonus against all Corruption checks

Limitation: A Childe of Angels must maintain a Code of Honour [barbaric or civilized] and not possess any Corruption points to enjoy the benefits of this Feat. Should they fail to do so, they lose all benefits of this Feat and their Type reverts to Human. If the character seeks Atonement and succesfully regains their Honour and loses their Corruption the Feat once again becomes active.

New Spell

Death Gaze [Advanced Spell of the Death and Destruction Sphere]
Power Points Cost: 6
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Fortitude
Perquisites: Death touch; twelve ranks of Knowledge [arcana]; ten ranks of Heal; Base Attack Bonus of +4 or higher; Magic Attack bonus of +6 or higher
Magical Success Roll: Sets Fortitude saving throw DC

This spell, likely the origin of the legend of ‘Medusa’s gaze’, is one feared by those of it. Merely by gazing upon their target, a skilled practitioner of the Arts of Death can sever the bonds of life itself, The target must merely be seen by the caster, they do not have to meet the target’s eyes themselves. The target must then make a Fortitude saving throw opposed by the caster’s Magical Success Roll. If the target fails the saving throw then they are killed instantly. If the target succeeds, they still take 5d6 points of damage from their brush with Death and are stunned [-2 to attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks] for one round equal to the levels of Scholar possessed by the caster.

Note: This spell has no effect on Outsiders, Undead or any other unliving targets.

Revised Spell

Draw Forth the Heart Advanced Spell of the Death and Destruction Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 8
Casting Time: One
Range: Close [Twenty-five feet plus five feet per level of Scholar the caster possesses]
Saving Throw: Fortitude
Perquisites: Death gaze; telekinesis, basic,sixteen ranks of Knowledge [arcana]; twelve ranks of Heal; Ritual Sacrifice Feat; Opportunistic Sacrifice Feat; Tormented Sacrifice Feat
Magical Success Roll: Sets Fortitude saving throw DC
Warning: The learning of and each use of this spell forces the caster to make a Corruption check

More of a show of power and an act of brutality than a combat spell, draw forth the heart is a horrific thing to behold. By casting this spell, the caster attempts to draw the still beating heart out of his victim into their hands and in the process increase the amount of life force they consume from their target.

When cast, the target of the spell must make a Fortitude saving throw againt the Magical Success Roll of the caster. If the target fails this roll, they die- swiftly passing across the veil between worlds with their last image that of their now cooling heart in the hands of the caster. This agonizing way of dying allows the caster to receive Power Points as if they had used the Tormented Sacrifice Feat on their target. [i.e. 1 Power Point per every 2 hit points the target had, not the usual 4 for Opportunistic Sacrifice]

If the target makes their saving throw, they still may yet be slain by the massive trauma of the spell. They suffer a heart attack, doing 10d6 points of damage immediately and if they survive that they remain winded for one minute per level of the caster. [-4 to all attack rolls, saving throws and skill checks, capable of only one standard or one move action] If the target dies from this damage, the caster only receives Power Points as per the Opportunistic Sacrifice Feat- 1 Power Point per each 4 hit points the target had.

Note: This spell has no effect on Outsiders, Undead or any unliving targets. An exception might be made for vampires though as legends speak of destroying the heart being a means of their destruction.

New Spell

Elemental Strike [Advanced Spell of the Elemental and Forces Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 4
Casting time: One standard action
Range: Close [Twenty-five feet plus five feet per level of Scholar the caster possesses]
Target: One creature or object
Saving Throw: Reflex
Perquisites: Elemental touch, six ranks in Knowledge [arcana]; Basic Magical Attack bonus of +2; Basic Attack Bonus of +2 of higher
Magical Success Roll: Sets Reflex saving throw DC

Elemental strike is a spell common to many sorcerers. A more powerful version of elemental touch, this allows a caster to channel enough elemental energy at a distance. The strike does 8d6 points of Primal damage [i.e. ignores non-magical DR] though the target can make a Reflex save to receive only half damage. The type of elemental energy used is determined by the caster. Fire, Cold and Lightning are common, but Corrosive and other more inventive versions of the spell have been seen before.

New Spell

Elemental Blast [Advanced Spell of the Elemental and Forces Sphere]
Power Point Cost: 6
Range: Close [25 feet plus 5 feet per every level of Scholar the caster possesses]
Target: One living creature or object
Saving Throw: Reflex
Perquisites: Elemental strike; eight ranks of Knowledge [arcana]; Basic Attack Bonus of +4 or higher; Basic Magic Attack Bonus of +6 or higher
Magical Success Roll: Sets Reflex saving throw DC

A more devastating version of elemental strike, this spell is designed to strike a primary target and those around them. The primary target of the spell receives 12d6 in Primal damage. [i.e. ignores non-magical DR] In addition all those within five feet of the target receive 6d6 points of Primal damage as well. All those receiving damage from the spell may make a Reflex save against the Magical Success Roll of the caster to receive only one-half damage from the spell’s effects. As with elemental strike, the type of Elemental damage is determined by the caster.

Back