Random NPC Rules CRB

Elirion

Mongoose
I have a rules question that I have been unable to find an answer to anywhere. It concerns the NPC rules on page 86-87 of the CRB. On page 86 it says, under "Experience Levels" heading, "Each character will have one skill from the list at the first level, and all other skills at the second level". This seems backwards but also appears at odds with the "Experience" table on page 87 that says an elite NPC will have an average skill level of 3, experienced 2, average 1, and green 0.

It almost seems like "level" is used differently in this part of the crb than elsewhere. I know there are other resources to generate NPCs but would really like to understand how to use these tables for my games.
It doesn't appear to have been addressed in the recent errata sheet. Anyone able to explain this or point me somewhere with an answer. Thanks!

The wording does seem a bit obscure, but I believe the intent is that an NPC would have one skill at the indicated ‘average skill level’ and the rest at one lower. For instance, an Experienced Combatant would have a single skill of those listed at 2 and the rest at 1. At least that’s how I read it.

Or just make it up on the fly as in “yeah, that pilot has good DEX and skill, so let’s make that a +3 on task checks”. Depends on how much depth and reusability you need in the NPC.

Geir said:
The wording does seem a bit obscure, but I believe the intent is that an NPC would have one skill at the indicated ‘average skill level’ and the rest at one lower. For instance, an Experienced Combatant would have a single skill of those listed at 2 and the rest at 1. At least that’s how I read it.

Or just make it up on the fly as in “yeah, that pilot has good DEX and skill, so let’s make that a +3 on task checks”. Depends on how much depth and reusability you need in the NPC.

Thank you. This is the best translation I've seen so far. Absent an official explanation, I'll just use this when making up non-important NPCs.

It's probably easier for Traveller, since even non player characters tend to have professional lifepaths.

Interactions with others is simplified if you treat them as archetypes and/or stereotypes.

Back