Questions for Mongoose

Follow-up to that issue. What is Mongoose's position on the possible revocation of the original OGL document that other OGLs are based on? Would current Mongoose OGL's be at risk (such as the Traveller OGL or the Legend OGL)?

I greatly enjoyed the release of the MT Manhunt adventure.
I understand that it took more than a little bit of computer archeology to reach us, but I'm wondering if the Onnesium Saga will continue. Are there plans in the works to finish the story, or is what we have all we get?

Any thoughts on my second question?
1. Have you considered doing a 5e D&D version of Traveller?

2. Any chance you could do a Traveller version of the rather excellent (Savage Worlds) Seven Worlds setting and campaign?

Any thoughts on my second question?

2. Any chance you could do a Traveller version of the rather excellent (Savage Worlds) Seven Worlds setting and campaign?
A DnD5 version of Traveller...
Um, WHY? Wasn't the disaster that was T20 enough for you? Like GURPS Trav, there was some great [and some seriously not-so-great] writing in T20, the mechanics themselves were [to use a phrase from youth as a US Army soldier in Germany] 'upgefikt'. While I've seen worse rules sets in my lifetime [Morrow Project anyone?], the T20 rules were pretty far down there. And I can't imagine that a class based system would add anything to the Traveller universe.

T20 had its issues, personally I would have used d20Modern/Future and made character generation a lot less confusing.

The advantage of a 5e port for MgT is the size of the market, plus 5e is at heart a very simple rule system (unlike 3/3,5).

Well, if that's your brand of fun, have at it.
I tend to have an inborn bias against class-based systems because they tend to put players in a box. With a d20 system you MUST have the '4 food groups': Tank, Healer, Blaster, Skill Monkey. Doesn't matter which edition or which variant [DnD, PF, whatever], that stricture must be met.
But in games like Traveller, Basic Roleplay /Call of Cthulhu /RuneQuest, you can make your character into whatever you want. Want to be the guy who sneaks better in Battle Dress than most people do barefoot in a ninja suit? You can! You just have to find a teacher and put the time and money into it. My experience with d20 games doesn't usually lend itself to that open-ended character building.
But again, that's my gripe. You're happy with how you've got it set up, so you do you.

I'm not a fan of class based games either, I prefer BRP and the ilk to D&D. And Traveller trumps the lot :)
It's pretty easy to convert the 5e game system to classless - you end up with a d20 skill based game similar to BRP. I bet the market would be larger for a class based rather than classless (but you could offer both with a sidebar or two :))

It’s an interesting question. I’ve had players that love Traveller’s character creation and get excited about the game then ultimately fade away because there’s “no advancement.” Whether class-based or class-less, D20 players seem to have an expectation of level advancement that’s mechanically tangible.

I suppose you could expand the Career Ranks tables and add skill bumps and whatnot. But that sort of turns the “Prior Career” idea on its head.

Considering OGL 1.1 will Mongoose still sell their books related to DnD 3.5 and 3.0? Such as the Quitisenstial Paladia(and alike) and the Arcane Encyclopedias?

2. Any chance you could do a Traveller version of the rather excellent Savage Worlds Seven Worlds setting and campaign?
1. This is very unlikely.

2. I am afraid I am not familiar with the setting, but we have enough universes already out or in the works to keep us occupied right now :)

t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, mouse mats, patches, cap badges, baseball caps, berets, dice, pencils, pens, equipment cards, weapon cards...

imagine being able to get an Imperial Star Marines beret with badge...

do you want my money now?

I'm repeating my earlier question because I think it got lost in the OGL discussion. If it was replied to, I didn't see it so my apologies.

I greatly enjoyed the publication of the DGP 'Manhunt: The Onnesium Quest vol. 1, especially the 'behind the scenes' discussion of how the adventure was saved from the dustbin of gamer history. However, that does leave the question, is there going to be a Volume 2? Has that work been found or even written?
THX

t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, mouse mats, patches, cap badges, baseball caps, berets, dice, pencils, pens, equipment cards, weapon cards...

imagine being able to get an Imperial Star Marines beret with badge...

do you want my money now?

Ha, just saw this now, and can confirm the demand. For a while a few years ago and with MM's blessing I crafted bespoke items - clothing and gear - such as old Scout and Imperial Navy ballcaps, Imperial Marines berets, Scout messenger bags, and others. If I wanted to be the Traveller "bag & hat" guy, there was certainly enough demand. 🧢🎒

Events proceed apace. Are there any rumblings in regard to Paizo's ORC license?
While Paizo is spearheading the announcement, it's not Paizo's license. Apart from Paizo, Kobold Press, Chaosium, Green Ronin, Roll for Combat, Legendary Games, Rogue Genius Games and (apparently many) others have joined in.

Announcement on the Paizo site here: https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6si7v

Might be good to at least keep an eye on developments :giggle:

Back