Questions for Mongoose: Spell Prerequisites

Turim

Mongoose
I have a few questions about spell prerequisites and I would greatly appreciate some official answers from someone working for Mongoose. Some of these questions have already been answered in threads, but I'm including them in the hope of having all the answers in the same place.

Atlantean Edition

1. Draw Forth the Soul: The spell description says Summon Demon is a prerequisite. The sorcery style list makes no mention of this. Which is right?
2. Black Plague: The sorcery style list says it's a Mighty spell. The spell description says it isn't. Is it Mighty?
3. Greater Black Plague: The sorcery style list says it's a Mighty spell. The spell description says it isn't. Is it Mighty?
4. Greater Demonic Pact: The sorcery style list says it's a Mighty spell. The spell description says it isn't. Is it Mighty?
5. Summon Elemental: The sorcery style list says Perform 15 ranks is a prerequisite. The spell description says Perform 10 ranks twice. Which is right?

The Scrolls of Skelos

6. The Time is Right: The sorcery style list says Knowledge (arcana) 15 ranks & Greater Demonic Pact or Master-Words and Signs are prerequisites. The spell description says Knowledge (arcana) 10 ranks. Which is right?
7. The Stars are Right: The sorcery style list says Greater Demonic Pact or Master-Words and Signs is a prerequisite. The spell description makes no mention of this. Which is right?
8. Voice of Power: Piecing together all the prerequisites it seems to me that MAB +7, Steely Gaze, Entrance, Greater Demonic Pact or Master-Words and Signs are prerequisites. What are the correct prerequisites?
9. Greater Voice of Power: Piecing together all the prerequisites it seems to me that Menacing Aura, Voice of Power & perhaps MAB +8 are prerequisites. What are the correct prerequisites?
10. Life Drain: The sorcery style list says it isn't a Mighty spell. The spell description says it is. Is it Mighty?
11. Bones of Life: Should the prerequisite Raise Dead instead be Raise Corpse?

Across the Thunder River

12. Bag of Demons: The sorcery style list says Master-Words and Signs is a prerequisite. The spell description says Demonic Pact or Master-Words and Signs. Which is right?

Messantia - City of Riches

13. Fangs of the Night: This spell was missing from the book and was later submitted in a thread by the author, but there was some confusion as to which style it belonged in. Are the correct prerequisites Raise Corpse, MAB +4?
14. Lesser Possession: The spell description says Demonic Pact & Master-Words and Signs are prerequisites. What are the correct prerequisites?
15. Greater Possession: The spell description says Demonic Pact & Master-Words and Signs are prerequisites. What are the correct prerequisites?
16. Spawn of the Black Heart: The spell description mentions neither Demonic Pact nor Master-Words and Signs as prerequisites. What are the correct prerequisites?

Hyboria's Finest - Nobles, Scholars & Soldiers

17. Legions of the Dead: The White Hand of Hyperborea PDF and the sorcery style list says MAB +10 is a prerequisite. The spell description says MAB +4. Which is right?
18. Legions of the Dead: The White Hand of Hyperborea PDF says the PP cost is 1 PP/5 corpses. Hyboria's Finest says 2 PPs/5 corpses. Which is right?
19. Simulacrum: The sorcery style list says MAB +10 is a prerequisite. The spell description says MAB +8. Which is right?

I can only answer for the spells I wrote, so...

12: Demonic Pact or Master-Words and Signs is correct.
17. +10 MAB
18. If you are part of the White Hand, the former is right; if not, then the latter.
19. +8 MAB

It gets more and more evident that some kind of official errata-pdf is in need. Hint, hint, Mongoose... :wink:

Perhaps we should start some sort of thread with all the errata so that when they read it, somebody does something about it.

Regarding Turim's question, I can say what's my opinion about some (I didn't write these, but that's how I think it makes sense).

2 Black Plague: Mighty, its description says so, and you bet throwing lots of plagues upset cosmic balance.

3 Greater black plague: Mighty for same reasons.

4Greater demonic pact: Mighty. Calling your friends from Hell more than once a week isn't good for the ozone layer.

10 Life drain:Mighty. Else, it becomes a killing resource which will obviate the need for any other close range offensive spells. And I think it suits the mood of the game nicely as there can be any sort of drawback to overusing it.

11 Bones of life. I agree with you, Raise Corpse.

As for the others, I do not have a clue; in fact as I usually look at the prerreqs in the spell description, I had nod noticed most of the inconsistencies, except for the "mighty" issue.

Oh, and this has not much to do with the purpouse of the thread, but has anybody else noticed that the Master of Yimsha Prestige Class (or whatever it is called) has some prerreqs which make it impossible to get its 5 levels?
At least, for a straight scholar, it is impossible to get Craft Major Magic Item before 18 lvl, so you would only get 2 prestige class levels.

Vincent: Thanks for the quick answer.

Trodax: Good tip. I've never actually used Rulesmasters before, but all the questions (except the ones Vincent answered) have been sent now. If I receive a reply I'll post it here.

Maximo: I prefer to use official rules whenever possible, but I too have my own opinions about most of these spells. As an example, I disagree with you about Life Drain. Considering the tough prerequisites and the average (in my opinion) power of this spell, I wouldn't look twice at it if I risked my life every time I cast it after the first in a week.

And the Master of the Black Circle has bugged me since I got Scrolls of Skelos :). At best the class can be taken after level 17. Take a look at the master himself and you'll see he fails to meet many of the prerequisites of the class.

Turim said:
I've never actually used Rulesmasters before, but all the questions (except the ones Vincent answered) have been sent now. If I receive a reply I'll post it here.
That would be great; thanks!

Trodax: 11 days have gone by since I sent my email to Rulesmasters, but no answer yet.

How often and how fast did you guys recieve answers when you contacted Rulesmasters?

Its been about 2 months since I sent my questions in.

I hate to sound critical, but Mongoose _really_ needs to start answering rules questions.

Mad Dog

Turim said:
Trodax: 11 days have gone by since I sent my email to Rulesmasters, but no answer yet.

How often and how fast did you guys recieve answers when you contacted Rulesmasters?
The first time I did it, I got an answer within two days. The second time, it took like a month or two (but I did get an answer; so don't give up!).

Just to get some attention, a new posting.

Online-errata for the various books would be cool, especially SoS, where the most typos seem to be...

Back